Online ebooks, software, and movie archive

Started by PZ, September 10, 2017, 09:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I'd not seen this one before, but it looks interesting:

https://archive.org/

Love your new avatar, AB  O0

Art Blade

haha, thanks, PZ :) It was just a way of responding to your recent cooking activities :gnehe: I used that pic when I wrote about Virginia ham some time ago.

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

oh yeah, there's a lot of great live music on archive.org. Some bands allow taping and will even upload their own shows.

Not to mention the wayback machine that lets you look at archived copies of web sites from almost any time period. Graphics aren't usually saved, as they take up space, but the html is usually there, look familiar - bring back memories?

https://web.archive.org/web/20090420203436/http://www.openworldgames.org/
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

:D

"April 21, 2009, 04:51:36 PM " when they archived it :)

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

It's pretty interesting to look up some pages as they used to be. Takes some time to load up, as it's a bit slow, and like I said, graphics are usually missing, but there are times when you can use it to see something that no longer exists.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

There's an incredible amount of stuff there, wow 8)

lol "Wayback Machine" :gnehe: Where are Mr. Peabody and Sherman?

The old site, eh? Geez, that was over eight years ago ???

mandru

The Gutenberg Project is another source for a huge volume for free out of print books and historical documents.   www.gutenberg.org

I used it a lot back when I worked at a call center for several years.  There would be times of long voids between incoming calls in the slow periods which could instantly turn into a mad rush to address calls.  I really liked that I could search by Title, Author, or genre.  I could pull up a book and copy it in its entirety and stash it in a new desk top Rich Text document and by entering and saving the text  "***Bookmark***" at a point where I needed to close the file it allowed me to easily find where I'd left off the next time I wanted to jump back into whatever it was I was currently reading.

I'd even stumbled across who author H. Rider Haggard's 'Alan Quartermaine' was (and had read a few of the books from that series) long before the film The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was released.

I've recently seen that the Gutenberg Project has added a utility to download directly to the reader app for Apple products for anyone who's a member of that religion.  :-X

I don't know if there are similar apps for PCs and other eBooks or if Gutenberg accommodates them as the friend who showed me that utility is an Apple Sheeple.  ;)

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Dang, I forgot all about Gutenberg - thanks for posting mandru  :thumbsup:

PZ

Art Blade

may I suggest a pair of glasses? :gnehe:

I read t-books. Those things made of trees, commonly called "books."

PZ

:anigrin:
I read t-books too - when the power fails  :gnehe:

Art Blade

fragger

lol, "T-books" :D

I've never used an ebook reader. For me, part of the charm of reading is to stretch out in or on something comfy, holding an actual book. I find something uniquely soothing about it. Trouble is, at the age I'm at now, I tend to soothe myself to sleep, especially on a balmy afternoon... :bigsmile:

Ebooks may be more convenient, but actual books have soul. Ebooks don't. That's just my unashamedly subjective take on it :anigrin: Having said that, the upside of ebooks is that they can allow access to works that you may never get otherwise, due to rarity or being long out of print.

Btw, thanks for the info, mandru :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳