this is about WEATHER -- in case you need something useful and cool

Started by Art Blade, September 10, 2017, 01:30:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Hey guys,

usually weather isn't important but it may be. Right now there's a lot of kerfuffle because of those extreme storms so I thought it might be useful for some of you. It was originally developed for surfers. It's just a URL but as far as I know, they also offer an app. It shows real time weather like wind, rain, waves, temperature, pressure.. the list goes on. It can be customised to quite some extent. Of course it can also forecast weather and a lot more. You can zoom in until you get to see a map view. Who needs google maps with a site like that :anigrin:

It will pick your IP and start from there. Just take a look and go, "wow."  :)

https://www.windy.com/

hurricane Irma
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

PZ

:D I'm using the Opera VPN set to Germany, and the windy site took me to Frankfurt

Nice find, AB  :thumbsup:

Art Blade

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

That's pretty cool, not much going on right near me, but looking at the various storms in the ocean really gives you and idea of where the air is moving to.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

I'm liking windy.com more each time I visit - just discovered that you can zoom in to a location and show the available web cams - you can see what it looks like on many highways.

Art Blade

yes, I'm glad someone noticed. I didn't want to spoil all the goodies. :)

PZ

There is so much it can show - really very nice  :thumbsup:

+1 for posting this one, AB  O0

Art Blade

PZ

Indeed; after exploring further, I actually created an account and pinned the tab  O0

Art Blade

:thumbsup: :)

My favourite online news service used it when reporting about Irma and I was really impressed after playing around with it for some time. Then I thought hey, if I like it that much, then I should show it to my friends at OWG.

PZ

I'm really glad you did because there is so much to explore, and you can even report conditions in your area.

I noticed a widget that you can use to install in your own blog or web site

Art Blade

you can share it in a way that it shows the area you want to show when someone looks at it. The news service did it that way when reporting about Irma. They also said there was an app, maybe you can get it for your mobile. Or, cell phone, in your case :anigrin:

fragger

+1 from me too Art, that's a really cool site :thumbsup: It even shows wave directions along the coast!

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳