My first gaming laptop

Started by LowPolyOWG, September 12, 2017, 03:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

that's pretty darn demanding alright  ??? Very nice :thumbsup:

PZ

Excellent - give us a report on how it goes - GTA can be taxing on a machine O0

LowPolyOWG

GTA V played at 60 fps all settings maxed out (except for AA and the advanced settings). The only issue was the heat, my laptop seems to get hot around the WASD keys. I might want to get a laptop cooling pad to keep it cooler during a long gaming session. Now, it's a small laptop and tucking in a GTX 1070 and i7-7700 HQ definitely gets hot in a compact package. It cooled down very fast after this session. There are some thicker laptops with better cooling available.

Not sure about FH3 yet
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Pretty cool, I've never tried to install anything in a laptop, there's just too much going on in there. My latest is the first one I've bought new and is fairly decent, not the beast yours is, but then I don't use it much at all, and as of yet, have not played a game on it, even though I do have Steam installed with a few of the titles I have available. But the lighted keyboard, which I thought was a gimmick, comes in really handy when typing in low light areas, a really good feature I'd look for again.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

Cool project OWGKID.  :thumbsup:

I've never heard of a liquid cooled laptop but I suspect (if you tried) you're the one who could figure out how to do it.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

LowPolyOWG

No, I wouldn't do that :-X It's probably possible, but I guess you wouldn't be able to carry it around ;) The lighting can be tweaked, but the drivers required are on a CD and my laptop doesn't come with a CD drive... I'll try to copy those drivers over to a memory stick and install them from there.

I didn't built it from scratch, I just threw in some better storage. I ordered with the RAM/CPU/GPU installed

mandru

Drivers of formula 1 race cars wear suits with a webbing of tubes carrying cold fluid to help them withstand the high heat generated by the car's engines.  Just think of adding easy connect in/out coolant ports outside the laptop that will then connect to a portable external cooling hub that's either battery or AC powered.  Possibly a high efficiency rechargeable laptop battery could be repurposed to serve as the power for a truly portable coolant hub.

Hopefully you'd be able to keep the external cooling hub's copper radiator fins weight under that of a typical car battery.  :D

The real trick would be finding a scaled down non-conductive fabric with fluid lines that can be adhered to a laptop's heat producing surfaces.

In being scaled down to where the woven in coolant web is similar in size to fine blood vessels the smaller fluid lines within a system like this could potentially grab heat away and externalize it faster than the contact surfaces within a full sized liquid cooled PC.

I imagine you'd earn some real bragging rights showing up at your next LAN party with this kind of rig.  :evil2:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

sounds like a good idea :) of course, only if the weight of a typical car battery can be overcome (or, undercut) :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

:anigrin:

Almost everybody in my class runs equal specs on their laptops too. So no difference there ;)

BinnZ

If you manage to install those liquid heat pipes in your laptop, you could wear the Formula 1 suit and all you'd need to carry around with you are 2 small hoses ;)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

you know, how about case modding. The new case could be..

Spoiler
a refrigerator.   :anigrin:

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

If you want to water cool a laptop, there's always this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Watercooling-a-laptop-on-the-cheap/

But actually, laptops usually are already (sort of) liquid cooled. It's passive, though, not active, so no pumps. The copper tubes running around the inside are filled with copper wires surrounded by liquid that moves the heat as the copper expands and contracts. Or something like that. I saw a show on TV explaining it once.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Cool to see people engineering their own solutions  :thumbsup:

LowPolyOWG

Interesting ??? No, I'll keep it as it is.

Tags:
🡱 🡳