Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

fragger

:gnehe:

I'm saving that experience for last

LowPolyOWG

Just to stay on topic, I think the time zone differences between USA, Australia and Europe might be a problem if we were to play together.

Dweller_Benthos

haha, yeah, time zones, who's idea was that? Should be everyone is on the same time, and if it's bright and sunny at midnight for you, well, close the shades to sleep, lol.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

Sounds great D_B.  I know slow download rates have been a longstanding grief for you.

Here's hoping it's sooner rather than later.  :thumbsup:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Indeed - you might be able to download a game without needing to resort to taking a drive to w0#k  :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

Yes, and watch a video on youtube whenever I feel like it, not only after I've downloaded it onto a thumb drive to bring home like I do now. I can watch videos on my connection, but only on the "mobile" setting (240p at best, sometimes to keep it from buffering I have to drop to 144p). Have you ever watched a youtube video on the mobile setting while on a full size desktop monitor, full screen? Go ahead, try it and know my pain.

Actually, I've gotten used to downloading videos to the thumb drive and plugging it into the TV to watch there, more comfy than watching on the computer, and the screen is bigger. So I'll probably still do that, only I won't have to go somewhere else to do the downloading to the thumb drive.
D_B

Art Blade

I downloaded a couple of YT vids that were worth keeping (remember the section on the forum about short films, CGI and so forth? Those.) and indeed it's cool to watch them at a full-blown home theatre.  :bigsmile:

BinnZ

When reading through this threat I suddenly realised that over here in Holland the whole economy is starting to shape itself around broadband net access. I mean, video shops, game stores, music shops, (and many many other shops to be honest) have been banned to the resent past.
Everybody uses iTunes, netflix, youtube, steam, PSnetwork and whatnot  to get their media served hot on the dish with a click on a button. Crazy times we're living in ;)
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

Yeah, I remember how video game stores had shelves and bins filled with games. Now, most of them sell gift cards and peripherals rather than actual games. At least GameStop still got physical games, but they are mostly second hand

Dweller_Benthos

http://www.openworldgames.org/newowg/index.php/topic,225.0.html

That's an IGN news post from a while back, saying digital downloads far outpace physical copies sold. Well, duh, of course, because you can't find a physical copy anywhere to save your life. I would still prefer a physical copy, just because I know I "own" something then, guess I'm old-fashioned. But yes, not having broadband in these times is becoming a serious setback. A friend of mine can telecommute if the need arises (bad weather, he has to stay home to meet the repairman, etc) but without broadband, that's not an option for me. Yet.
D_B

Art Blade

I used to love my jewel cases and physical media. Until I looked in my cupboard with all those old jewel cases and physical media gathering dust. I have never touched any of those again despite the fact that those games used to be really cool. They no longer are. They're outdated, really, and may not even run on current OS anymore, either. Hell, the other day I fired up Sniper Elite 3, a game I purchased a few months ago, and it wouldn't start up anymore because (in my case, that is, as there are many different variants of other reasons and cases) the recent driver did not support the game anymore. I actually had to roll back to a driver from February this year when it was still supported properly.

In other words: Games, as they become outdated may now disappear altogether along with the rig they were installed on. Not really going to shed a tear over that. And my cupboard doesn't need expansions to keep up with the growing collection.

PZ

I too prefer physical copy, and hesitate purchasing anything that is a full digital download these days. It would need to be a game I really wanted badly.

LowPolyOWG

Considering your slow internet, I can understand how a physical disk suits your needs ;)

BinnZ

Speaking of outdated games; I still have a bunch of 100% completion savegames on games like NFS Most Wanted, GTA III, GTA Vice  City, GTA San Andreas, Q&Q Red Alert, Yuri's Revenge and probably some more games. I kept them as throphies, back when achievements weren't as popular as they are now. And I still don't even think of deleting them. On the other end I know I will never fire up those games anymore. Catching Dust-pixels on an old hard drive ;)
"No hay luz"

Tags:
🡱 🡳