It might actually happen!

Started by Dweller_Benthos, May 01, 2017, 08:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nex

Broadband was introduced by our Government controlled service provider TELKOM about 9 -10 years ago, when mine was installed the download speed was in the region of 10Mbps. As time went on and more people got broadband the slower it became, the last speed test I did was a month ago and it went down to about 4Mbps.
Now Optic Fibre is being introduced and the speed has gone up again, I did a speed test a day ago and got 9.49Mbps. I'm betting that within the next 12 months it will be down to about 6Mbps. Wonder what they will introduce next?   
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

nex

Dweller_Benthos

Like that test they did somewhere the Internet service is really bad and sent a carrier pigeon with a SD card strapped to it's leg and it got there with the card before the download finished?

The problem with physical media, at least the last time I could actually buy one, is that it didn't contain the entire game. I still had to download 10GB of data after it installed what was on the disc. Forget what game that was, but it was on Steam and I figured as usual, it would download the latest update patch, but no, it's like it should have been on two DVDs but only included the first one in the box.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Same experience for me with physical media, however, for me, downloading 10 GB to fix the physical is better than downloading 25GB full digital because it cuts the download time from 2 days to 1.  :gnehe:

Your network is way better than mine nex my ISP offers 1.5 Mbps and I regularly see about 750Kbps  :banghead:

Art Blade

Here I've got ADSL copper (phone) cable with 50 MBit/s download, 10Mbit/s upload. Or close to. And it's a fixed price = no data transfer limits, same price.

PZ

I can only dream of speeds like that - it is the price I pay for living rural

Art Blade

I just added the fixed price info.

Yes.. Here are offers for (TV optical) cable that go up to 500Mbit/s.

PZ

For the privilege of that pitiful transfer rate I have the honor of paying $69/month

Art Blade

I pay about the same. :anigrin:

Oh, latency is around 10 - 30 ms

PZ

Art Blade

hey.. rural advantages.. keep thinking about no close neighbours whom you'd grow to like so much that it could only and best be expressed using a cal .50 express delivery.

PZ

Art Blade

nex

Quote from: PZ on May 08, 2017, 07:50:12 AM
Your network is way better than mine nex my ISP offers 1.5 Mbps and I regularly see about 750Kbps  :banghead:
Unfortunately it won't stay like that PZ, as I mentioned, when i first got ADSL it gave me about 10Mbs, then it started going slower, now almost ten years later with Optic Fibre I'm back at about 10Mbs at ZAR 1000.00 per month. I can go 20Mbs but it will cost me double  ???

Tags:
🡱 🡳