Exploring FO3 GOTY

Started by mandru, March 13, 2017, 10:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

I probably should have named this thread "Exploring FO3 GOTY" instead of mentioning level caps.  I keep finding things in the game that I want to comment on but don't want to clutter up this forum category every time I discover something or have a new epiphany that recolors how I am playing.  So I find myself returning here.

I discovered I was using the two pip-boy maps wrong.  :(

When out wandering the Wastelands or in downtown DC I stayed in the World map mode and only utilized the Local map when exploring tunnels, sewers, building complexes.  What I didn't realize was that I literally walking over (sewer manhole covers) or past entrances for side quest or other unmarked random points of entry or hidden entrances that gave access to more bad guys to bust up and loot to grab.

The local map tracks and paints in a historical swath of everywhere you've set foot in all of your wanderings.  Find a newly discovered and unused manhole cover or door?  Simply by stepping inside and making a quick glance at the local map will reveal if it's an area that you have already ransacked or new territory to explore.

I've now adopted the habit of regularly checking the Local map when roaming around or specifically traveling from objective point A to point B.  If I see a large black area (on the local map) lacking all charting info I always make a detour and tromp around through the area to make sure I'm not missing anything.  :anigrin:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Quote from: mandru on March 13, 2017, 10:20:44 AM
I probably should have named this thread "Exploring FO3 GOTY"

You just did. :anigrin:

Go on, then, now you may post to your heart's content :bigsmile:

mandru

- mandru

PZ

Quote from: mandru on March 13, 2017, 10:20:44 AM
...  Find a newly discovered and unused manhole cover or door?  Simply by stepping inside and making a quick glance at the local map will reveal if it's an area that you have already ransacked or new territory to explore.

I did not realize that - good to know  O0

By the way, are you still having the random crashes or has the system somewhat stabilized

mandru

After the fixes you guys suggested if I have a crash it's towards the end of a 9 hour gaming spree.  Add in my habit of regularly making routine saves has kept me from losing hardly any game progress at all.

With those kind of results I consider it fixed.  :bigsmile:
- mandru

Art Blade

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Interesting strategy, I'll have to keep that in mind. I knew it mapped the outside areas in local view, but didn't think to use it to see entrances and what not. I'm exploring quite a bit, and loaded the level cap removal mod, as I'm just at level 12 with the original cap at 20 and the DLC cap at 30, I can see exceeding those easily and not even be half done with looking around at stuff and doing side quests. The main quest can wait.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳