citrus press -- my new toy.

Started by Art Blade, September 21, 2017, 10:31:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I had mixed lemon and orange juice before but more out of necessity ("ah, damn, there's that one lemon still sitting there..") so I juiced it into the bunch of oranges for company. :anigrin:

PZ

Not a secret at all - my wife likes to use it as a hot drink, and I like to use it as a Cosmopolitan base. I'm planning to help her make some soon so we can try out the new machine  :gnehe:

• 6 oranges
  • 3-4 lemons depending on your taste
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 4 cups of fresh cranberries (1 bags)
  • 2-3 quarts water depending on how concentrated you like it
  • 1-2 cups sugar depending on your taste for sweet - can always add more

• Bring cranberries and cinnamon sticks to a boil
  • Juice lemons and oranges
  • Strain and cool cranberry/cinnamon mixture
  • Combine the juices and add the sugar

Change the proportions if you want smaller batches. Keeps for a long time in the fridge due to the acid in the citrus.

Make it as a tea (just heat, not boil), use as a base for mixed drinks. You can substitute some limes for lemons which makes a good mixer for drinks.

Art Blade

interesting bleach, man :anigrin: Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I'll have a problem getting cranberries. They're only slowly invading our supermarkets and are either already processed (part of mueslis, energy bars and so on) or come as dried fruit.

Also, what is a "quart?" Quarter of a gallon, of a cup, of a litre? I reckon the latter one.

And speaking of measures and sizes.. those cups.. size B, size C, perhaps Double D...? :gnehe:

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on September 27, 2017, 10:04:29 AM
interesting bleach, man :anigrin: Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I'll have a problem getting cranberries. They're only slowly invading our supermarkets and are either already processed (part of mueslis, energy bars and so on) or come as dried fruit. me too, this time of the year - I'm going to see if I can get frozen, or just use cranberry juice

Also, what is a "quart?" Quarter of a gallon, of a cup, of a litre? I reckon the latter one. liter is close enough

And speaking of measures and sizes.. those cups.. size B, size C, perhaps Double D...? :gnehe:  :D about 240 ml

Art Blade

cheers :bigsmile: Good idea, cranberry juice might be available here if I'm lucky. O0

fragger

Thanks for posting the recipe, PZ O0

I don't know about the availability of cranberries here either, but then they're not something I've ever specifically gone looking for.

PZ

I've convinced my wife to try pomegranate juice, which I have in the pantry  :gnehe:

Art Blade

yeah, yeah.. :gnehe: I think it's a good idea. During my very first tests, I mixed pomegranate with orange juice. Nice colour but I couldn't tell the pomegranate.. only that it was fruity and that there was orange in it. Might depend on the quantity, too.

Art Blade

no luck here. I could buy a plastic bucket loaded with about 1kg of dried cranberries. I think most of the weight comes from the sunflower oil they'd been soaked in  ??? YUCK!! EWW!!

PZ

Sounds nasty! 

We're going to make the base drink and then add pomegranate until it tastes good

Art Blade

there's one thing that kept me thinking.. have you tried that drink without adding sugar? I mean, it's all fresh fruit, and except for a few lemons, that stuff should be sweet. Even with lemons it should be kind of sweet, enough to call it refreshing. I've never used sugar in fresh fruit juice, that's why I ask.

BinnZ

Some fruits require an additional sweet, like strawberries when you buy them in autumn or winter. They lack enough sweetness. Or red currants who are sour as hell. But I would always go for honey, giving it a smoother, rounder taste than most sugars do.
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

alright.. agree, honey is what I'd add. But I'd never make juice out of horribly sour fruit in the first place  :anigrin:

PZ

I've not tried it without sugar because it is my wife's mother's recipe, and she will not waiver much.

I tried out the squeezer on a lime last night and the results were impressive - all of the tough membranous materials stayed in the skin.  O0

mandru

Ripe cranberries are "straight out of the chute" bitter.  Pure juice cranberry drink is typically mixed with a high percentage of apple, pear, and grape juice from concentrate to make it anything other than pucker your face inside out nasty.  :anigrin:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Tags:
🡱 🡳