Mesa Verde - the main tourist areas

Started by PZ, March 16, 2017, 01:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

It is becoming increasingly restrictive to visit areas in Mesa Verde, so here are the ones you can go to any time.  (Next time I'm posting an example of a Ranger led tour to an off the beaten path place called Spring House)

[spoiler text=Main tourist areas]Sometimes you need to climb ladders
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

That's a long way down!

[/spoiler]

BinnZ

What was the town called again, in FC2? ;)
"No hay luz"

PZ

mandru

Wow, I recognize that third photo in your series.  O0

Mrs mandru is a weaver.  Among her collection of tapestry art that she's produced (and managed to hold onto) is a small 18in x12in (45.72cm x 30.48cm) impressionist adaptation of the third picture in your series.  She worked off of a photo that as near as I can recall from memory must have been taken from no more than 12 steps in any direction from where your photo was shot.

I only saw that photo once but the tapestry hung over my computer monitor for several years before we moved into our current residence.  She has often spoken of her trip to that location which usually is because a show comes on TV that visits the site.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

The nice thing is that the park service puts in turnouts on the roads above that are photo op areas. You can't go wrong when you pull out of one of these  O0

If you haven't been, put it on your bucket list - there are two parks that are my favorites - Mesa Verde for the archaeology, and Yellowstone for the geology.  :bigsmile:

Art Blade

It really instantly reminded me of Dogon Village :)

durian

Maybe Ubisoft created Dogon village based on this park  :)

PZ

You never know  ;)

I recall reading a long time ago that there was a real place in Africa that was used to model the Dogon Village, and we had it posted in the old site, but I can't find reference to it now.

Art Blade

I can.  :anigrin:

Quote from: PZ on March 13, 2009, 10:52:33 AM
I stumbled on this travel blog that has a series of photos of the actual Dogon village in South Africa - brings back memories of all the times I've been there.  Just one more reminder of how realistic Far Cry 2 has been for me!

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/1326709.html

PZ

:D :thumbsup:  I knew you would be able to!  +1  :bigsmile:

durian

Art Blade

fragger

Nice one, PZ :) Thanks for the piccies +1

Anasazi? Oops - I believe "Ancestral Puebloans" is the politically-correct name for them now :gnehe: Those people were amazing. So little is known of them, yet they were so advanced in so many ways compared to most other Native American peoples. They are a genuine enigma.

Yellowstone is one of a number of places in the U.S. that I would love to visit, for the scenery and geology O0

PZ

Thanks fragger  :bigsmile:

Somewhat unrelated, but here's the start of a bit of a rant: yes, we tend to change the name of people and other things here in the US - evidently there are lots of people with not enough to do except find a new name for something.  Here's an absurdity regarding disabled students and their support services, and the name changes that have occurred:

Name changes starting with DSS (Disability Support Services) --> Students with Disabilities --> Center for Educational Access

The intent of the service is to provide disabled students the support needed to be successful in school, for instance, wheelchair access, signers for the deaf, and other disabilities.  How do you get Center for Educational Access from that kind of service?  If I were to see that name without having context, I would think that Center for Educational Access to mean the school itself. I really dislike change just for the sake of change with no other benefit.

Art Blade

yep, weird. Same here.

In the old days, we'd talk about foreigners who live here. Now they're "citizens with a migration background"  :banghead:

🡱 🡳