It's Kombi season!

Started by fragger, September 28, 2017, 05:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

you did what you could :) And we could see most of that kombi :anigrin:

+1 :thumbsup: from me, too, for the cool piccies and you taking them despite having to crowd-dive in order to do so :)

fragger

Thanks for the kudos, mandru and Art :)

Live music started playing late morning, which I could hear from my house - loudly. Even though it was about 600m away in a straight line with houses and trees in between, and the stage was facing away from me (which I'd noticed the previous day while they were setting it up), it sounded like they were playing right across the street. Didn't sound terribly great either - not gratingly bad, but certainly nothing to write home about, and if it sounded that loud here, I hate to think what it would have sounded like down there. That pretty much made my mind up for me - I stayed home.

There were a couple of cool aerobatics displays during the day from tandem stunt flyers, one in a Pitts Special and the other in some kind of $p@rts monoplane. No point trying to get photos, they were too far away for the camera. I watched from the front yard, they put on a good show. Those Pittses are amazing things, a modern, high-tech take on a concept that goes back to the very beginnings of powered flight - the biplane. They've come along way since the days of the Sopwith Camel and the Albatros :gnehe:

All nice and quiet now, back to normal :gnehe: Ah, the serenity...

Art Blade

hehe :anigrin:

The older I grow, the more I dislike noise. I try to stay away from anything that's loud. I don't mind the background environmental sounds of the city, though -- if a nearby bar left their doors open because some people went outside for a smoke or some such, I sometimes think it's an open-air festival nearby. I don't mind that, it usually doesn't last long and usually it only happens on weekends but I really wouldn't want to be inside of that bar. Funny, when I think back, in my youth I used to enjoy to go to clubs and discotheques myself.. although I never sought out a spot right in front of a bass speaker tower unlike some folks I observed doing that. Can't have a drink without spilling half of it for every bass drum beat almost knocks the glass out of your hand.. yeah, yeah. Those were the times. Were. :anigrin:

nex

Thanks for sharing two of my favorite cars fragger. +1

The Red Fairmont GT and of course that blue 55 chevy  O0

Respect is earned, not given.

PZ

Those are excellent documentation photos fragger: +1 from me as well  O0

We have an event similar to what you're showing in our little town, and some of the cars (and trucks) are definitely unique  :gnehe:

BinnZ

+1 from me too Fragger, nice diverse review and pics of the Kombi event :bigsmile: O0

I do love that Harley. I think I would likely change some minor details, like the flamed mirrors, but overall it's a monster of solid bikeness, excellent!

From what I see in your pics there weren't many outstanding kombies indeed. I like the one in your first actual kombi pic. The blue and orange combines very nice  :bigsmile:
"No hay luz"

fragger

Thank you chaps, you're all very kind :bigsmile:

Art, same. I used to love going to noisy clubs where my friends and I had to scream at each other to be heard, and had great times. I still don't mind loud rock music if it's coming from someone like Santana, but not practically in my front yard and not from some local band of instrument abusers. This is a sleepy little coastal town, not flipping Woodstock (except for all the hippiemobiles, maybe) :gnehe: These days, I prefer peace and quiet.

nex, did you notice the license plate on the Chevy Bel Air? That may apply to you, mate! It did to me :gnehe:

PZ, I love any kind of vehicle show - cars, motorcycles, planes. I appreciate the time, effort and money that people invest in these things, and their pride and enthusiasm is enormous. I got talking to the guy who owns the Chrysler and I couldn't get away. I'm now pretty well up to speed on my early Chrysler history :gnehe:

BinnZ, Maybe more Kombis turned up later in the day or the next, but I have seen some cool custom jobs passing by on the street in earlier festival years. The record attempt and the "best Kombi" competition doesn't take place until the afternoon of the second day (Sunday), so more Kombis may have turned up for that. I went to the festival the first year after I moved here and there were a couple of impressive paint and customization jobs, but no, not much like that this time around. Not from what I saw, anyway.

nex

The VW Kombi is still very popular in SA, there was a guy during the 70's doing Ford V6 conversions

with a auto gearbox on these kombi's, they were easy to spot, he mounted a custom build radiator to the nose of the kombi.
Man, those kombi's could go!

nex

Yep fragger, envy... :anigrin:
My folks had friends who had one, a black and white left hand drive.
He and my dad always compared the chevy to my dad's 1957 Desoto Diplomat
those Desoto's had push button auto boxes

Dweller_Benthos

Ah, so a car show, with a focus on a certain type, and then someone decided to add festival rides, vendors, etc. Nice pictures, if it weren't for the crowds, it might be fun.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

Thanks D_B :) I don't know how or when it got started, but it was well before I moved here.

PZ

I too dislike the crowds, so I rely on the laziness of most people - I go early in the morning and no problem with the crowds  :gnehe:

Art Blade

indeed :anigrin: early morning isn't bad but night time is the right time, I say :D

fragger

You should have seen them all trying to get back out ??? It was bumper to bumper for hours. Fortunately I didn't have to drive anywhere on Sunday and the shops are only a couple of minutes walk away.

JRD

Great pics fragger, good fun!  O0

In Brazil we also call those VW vans "Kombi". To be honest I thought we were the only people to call it like that but as I think of it, it doesn't sound portuguese at all so obviously I was wrong.  ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Tags:
🡱 🡳