Impessions: Assassin's Creed Origins

Started by PZ, November 01, 2017, 09:12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

I had a really good open world experience this morning.  Currently at level 35, I was to assassinate a captain captured by his opponents. He was in a heavily fortified fort manned by level 37, 38, and even a level 39 captain. From past expediences, attacking a foe 4 levels above my current position is exceedingly difficult.

In prior plays through my method is to sneak in, poison as many guards as possible, and then mop up the rest if there are any. However, when trying to poison guards more than a level or two above is mostly not effective - the poison seems to wear off before they succumb.

After tagging everyone and climbing to a high tower above my intended, my dilemma became how to accomplish an almost impossible task without being killed multiple times. I could look down at a couple of level 37 guards just outside his cage, another a short distance away, and the level 38 and 39 captains not far away. If I were to attack loud, they would descend on me like hornets. Poison was not effective on these guys - they got sick and vomited, but then seemed to recover.

My current weapon assortment is complete, and I have fire bombs at my disposal that I have upgraded 5 times (each time makes the tools more powerful), so because my target was in a wooden cage, I threw a bomb at it and it burned to the ground. Normally that would kill the occupant, but because his level was so high, it released him, and with elated glee he started to flee out of the fort shouting his good fortune.

Now I had to chase him down and do an almost boss style battle, just like in most games, but at least he would be alone. Imagine my surprise when approaching his location to witness a significant battle taking place. I almost joined, but it did not feel "right". Luckily I just stood back and watched as his former jail guards ran him down on horseback (he was afoot), and executed him. All I had to do is wait until they left to confirm the kill to complete the quest.

Now, this is exactly the perfect kind of open world mission that attracts me to video games, and it was perfect.  Every aspect was as close to a real world experience as I have experienced in a game, and it was perfect.

Art Blade

that's cool. You improvised and used the environment, part of it being the higher levels of the people you had to deal with. Very nicely done -- that was a very smart plan you came up with and assessing the situation correctly so you didn't interfere was what got your target killed without your direct intervention.. that's worth a +1, PZ :thumbsup: :)

PZ

Thanks AB O0 As I'm learning how to accomplish tasks, lots of variety exists. For instance, if you throw a poison dart into a fire, it will infect all those around it.

The suggested minimum level for this quest was level 37, but I am still trying to reach maximum level without doing the main mission line, which I left at suggested level 11. This mission was worth 4500 XP (initial levels were worth about 500 XP), so it advanced me quite a bit toward level 36.  :bigsmile:

I love open world games  :thumbsup:

Art Blade

PZ

Well, I finally purchased the season pass yesterday, and have opened an entirely new area with tons of new material. You can now level up to 45, and I'm half way to 44 (on one of my prior plays through). I think this is the first time I have purchased a season pass.

This new area is very interesting - you visit a quarry where they get the blocks for the pyramids, and there is even a pyramid currently being built. More eye candy are the people pulling the big blocks of sandstone. A city is also present, and the entire area is filled with new architecture, so the experience is quite new feeling. There are three new regions within the new DLC, one of which is water. The other two are a bit reminiscent of FC2 in that there are northern and southern areas, but other than having to go there, there are no artificial barriers.

The first fort you encounter is huge - more than twice the size of any fort in the main areas, and I think all of the soldiers are level 40 and above. I just killed one of two Phylakes, both of which are level 45.

You can seamlessly freely fast travel (or the slow way if you wish).

I'm at level 36 in my most recent pay through, and will go to the new area as soon as I reach 40 or so, level up there, and then return to the original area to continue my adventures.

Art Blade

if a game is really good, a season pass might indeed be worth it. I'm glad that yours apparently is. :)

LowPolyOWG

I only bought the base version of AC:O. Not buying the season pass. I didn't bought the season pass for WD2 either. Sometimes, I think the base game is good enough :)

PZ

I was hoping it would be, and because I like the game so much, decided to take a chance. This is the first of two DLCs, and I'm eagerly anticipating the second  one later this year. The game was huge before, and is now much larger. :bigsmile:

LowPolyOWG

O0

I did pre-order Far Cry 5's Gold Edition, as I expect it's going to be a game I am going to enjoy :bigsmile:

PZ

Any special features in the gold edition?

LowPolyOWG

You get early access to the .44 Magnum, a golden HTI, an AR-C and the bow. You also get additional consumables (explosives and some buffs) and some weapon paints and costumes for your character along with vehicles :)

The season pass for FC4 gave you some in-game weapons for free ;)

PZ

So you can get these items later in the vanilla game?

On an aside, I'm really pleased at how easy it is to get the DLC for the Playstation. I ordered it on my PC while having my morning coffee in bed, and when I opened the game on the PS4 later, it was ready for downloading, which I started
in the background as I was playing. As I was on a mission the game popped up a notice that it was ready for playing.

LowPolyOWG

Yes, all weapons are unlocked from the start, so you just need to grind some in-game cash. In the case of FC4 Gold, you got the MP5/FAMAS early along with the Sandman (basically the Shadow from FC3), Driller and the Elephant Rifle.

Gold Edition also grants you access to the DLC that will come later. I bought the Gold Edition for the same price as the standard edition. 20% discount from the Ubisoft Club made it cheaper :gnehe:

PZ

I was wrong about being able to travel the slow way between DLC and the main game. While it looked feasible while looking at the map, you actually need to use a fast travel station.  :undecided-new:

There are main missions and side missions in the new DLC, and like in the main game, you can do them any way you like. I'm done with all the missions (I went through fast just to see how it ended). I'm now at level 45 and went back to a heavily fortified area on the mainland - those poor chaps did not stand a chance even going in hot and loud.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I did one of the stupid boss missions, which at level 45 was not too difficult, but what a waste of time. Nothing but repeated dodging and button mashing.

Tags:
🡱 🡳