Traditional Biltong

Started by nex, November 14, 2017, 08:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

:D Not your fault, AB - I totally missed that one due to becoming dim-witted as I age!

I'm seeing different thickness of cutting the meat, nex - up to an inch thick with various widths. What do you use? Also, how thick do you spread the spices? "When I make jerky I spice so that you can definitely see the spices, but when I do pork butt or ribs, there is so much spice I cannot see the meat.

I love the idea of biltong - the jerky I have made for decades is most excellent, but I am greatly interested in trying the thicker cuts of dried beef  :thumbsup:

Art Blade

PZ, I think you were just being extremely specific, pointing out that there actually IS gravity where you're hanging that spiced carrion ;)

PZ

mandru

PZ you'll need to be aware that the wafting aroma of drying meet will be as welcoming to some of your local critters as finally spotting the approach lights for a landing strip to a pilot flying in fogbound conditions.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

mandru

I could imagine PZ trying to hoist his Traeger smoker 20 feet up into the air via a tree limb to avoid having it torn apart.
- mandru

PZ

:laughsm: :thumbsup:  Quite true if I'd not put up a game fence!

Art Blade

you may need trip wire, barbed wire, mines and some automatic response full auto machine gun turrets that go along with motion-triggered search lights

mandru

A big game fence?

I applaud your culinary ambitions PZ but I'm also aware that any activity that might draw bears (who are too smart sometimes for their own good) is a bit of a dance with the devil.

2nd Art's recommendations.  :anigrin:
- mandru

PZ

Yeah, I guess you could call it a big game fence - 8 feet high designed specifically to keep out deer. However, one thing I've noticed in my area is that the moose and bear appear to be too lazy to try to find a way to circumvent the obstacle - we've had the fence up for a few years now, and not a single intrusion  :gnehe:

The game trail now follows the edge of the fence, and then disappears into the woods past the place.

Art Blade

:anigrin:

I'd add something to my suggested setup. Like, a few domestic cats.

For sound effects.

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on July 12, 2018, 04:02:01 PM
you may need trip wire, barbed wire, mines and some automatic response full auto machine gun turrets that go along with motion-triggered search lights

:D My son is the paranoid type and wants to set up my place kind of like that (although not quite that extreme) - he tends to go overboard protecting his dad.

Art Blade

:)

Yeah, the search lights might be a bit extreme

PZ

Really funny thing is that we have motion sensitive search lights!  :D

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳