Home made sauerkraut

Started by PZ, April 06, 2017, 02:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I've been wanting to ferment my own cabbage for a while now, and recently purchased lids for ordinary caning jars to make my own sauerkraut
[spoiler text=fermenting vegatables]
The jars and lids - getting ready to chop the cabbage
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Chopped and ready to go into the jars

Into the jars for 10-30 days - time depending on how it tastes.
[/spoiler]

mandru

It looks like this will be a fun project.

You of course understand that this is the first step to experimenting with the thousands of sweet, smoky or hot (maybe all three) varieties of kimchi.  :evil2:
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

mandru

- mandru

PZ

:D

I think the kimchi sounds a bit more pleasant  :gnehe:

mandru

Agreed except for possibly one mass produced kimchi recipe I saw being assembled on a TV travel program.  It used a (roughly) 35 gallon clay pot with raw shucked oysters as the principle ingredient followed by an 8 month cure time.  :-X

It's funny.  If something is left to stand and it goes horribly bad it's called rot but then again (through the exact same process) if it turns into something wonderful it's called fermented.  8)
- mandru

PZ

:D so true - rotten solidified milk is called aged cheese

BinnZ

:D

And rotten malt and hop is called beer, suddenly ;)
"No hay luz"

BinnZ

To put it more philosophically, good is often so damn close to bad ;)
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

sounds like Trevor after a "exercising" with that real estate guy's wife. "How is it that something that feels so right can be so wrong?" :D

fragger

I'd like to know who was crazy enough to put stinking, solidified milk into their mouth for the first time. "Yuck, this stuff looks and smells absolutely disgusting! I wonder if it tastes any better?" :huh-new:

Same with the first person to try a raw oyster. They must have been starving or something. I love oysters (cooked, not raw) but if I'd never seen one before and I was offered a raw one, I'd be, "Yeah, right, like I'm gonna put that gross-looking thing in my mouth. Get it away from me!"

PZ

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: fragger on April 07, 2017, 05:54:26 PM
I'd like to know who was crazy enough to put stinking, solidified milk into their mouth for the first time. "Yuck, this stuff looks and smells absolutely disgusting! I wonder if it tastes any better?" :huh-new:

Makes you wonder if this guy ever tried dog poop just to be sure he wasn't disposing of a delicacy.  :-X

mandru

As I see it oysters and clams are antisocial hermits who aren't as openly social and outgoing as the typical garden slug.  :-X
- mandru

🡱 🡳