The Gathering, Hamar

Started by LowPolyOWG, April 12, 2017, 02:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

Today opened one of the world's largest LAN parties  :anigrin: With over 5000 people, this is going to be cool!

https://goo.gl/photos/GRqE7H4Vdx2Yup8b9 Some pics I took now, will update later  :bigsmile:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Very nice GKID  O0

I like your album - very easy to see the pics  :thumbsup:

LowPolyOWG

It's pretty noisy here, they are playing loud music in the background :-X

Art Blade

heh, just checked the pics. Imagine the network and the power supply. ??? :)

mandru

Better have good headsets (possibly noise cancelling) so they're not stomping the snot out of the in-game audio.  ;)

Are you all playing the same game or are there various enclaves to suit the various game fans?

I'm also interested to know if you had to carry in your own gaming systems or if computers were provided.  There's also the question if the rigs were provided (by the organizers) do they sell off the used units at a discount?  I was wondering if that was an available option (by my way of thinking) because the next time one of these gatherings occur all of the provided system's key components will have been eclipsed by bigger, stronger, and faster iterations.  The competitive development never stands still.

The photo in your pictures that pointed out the "Sleeping Area" gave me a good chuckle.  :anigrin:

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

looks as if the text above translates to "here you can sleep"  :)

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: mandru on April 12, 2017, 09:05:39 AM
Better have good headsets (possibly noise cancelling) so they're not stomping the snot out of the in-game audio.  ;)

Are you all playing the same game or are there various enclaves to suit the various game fans?

I'm also interested to know if you had to carry in your own gaming systems or if computers were provided.  There's also the question if the rigs were provided (by the organizers) do they sell off the used units at a discount?

1: Yes, the majority of people brings their own headsets. Also, you can buy ear plugs. Some people brought with them their own speakers (we're talking small ones, not a large one)

2: No, we are playing whatever we want. However, if you want to win price$, you must sign up for contests in games like Counter-Strike, Minecraft, League of Legends, Overwatch and Rocket League. If you do, you might want to spend time practicing with a team.

3: Bring your own. There's a hardware vendor here (Digital Impuls) that sells computer hardware/spare parts and do repairs if you need. I have no idea what TG does with their used equipment. They probably sell them. They do bring with them legacy console systems (Nintendo 64s/NES and GameCubes for Mario/super smash)

Art, that's correct :) The sleeping areas is on the grandstands. I would rather go to my friend's flat if I were to sleep ;)

Art Blade

must be some ancestral roots we're sharing if I can actually translate that correctly :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

Historically, there was some German traders (the Hanseaten) settled down in Bergen and brought the language here ;) Also, modern Norwegian is heavily influenced by Danish ;) The closest thing to "true" Norwegian would be Icelandic which has its origins in the old Norse language.

German translation would be "Hier kannst du schlafen".

Oh, looks like Freddy Kalas is on stage. Time to fire up last years russesongs :bigsmile:

Art Blade

yep, the German is correct. Funny how close it is to your language, even after that historically long period of time :)

LowPolyOWG

Yep, Norway have been under Danish/Swedish rule. Geographically speaking, Denmark is pretty close to Germany and Norway became a Danish depency in medieval times ;) What's cool with Scandinavia, we can speak with eachother in our native languages. Just need to be aware of words having different meaning in the other one :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

Today, the Gathering is now over for the year. Just uploaded pictures from the award show and now, they are playing loud music for the rest of the night  :-X

Art Blade

Art Blade

just checked the pics. :thumbsup: You should have brought your lucky cowboy hat :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

Next year ;) Most likely going to study game development at Hogskolen i Innlandet and TG is just a 30 minute walk ;) Even shorter with a bike/car :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳