Why did they wait so long?

Started by fragger, February 24, 2018, 05:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I can't help it, I love this kind of stuff. The late Jon Lord (of Deep Purple fame) and Rick Wakeman together live in 2011, not long before Lord's death in 2012. Why couldn't these guys have gotten together sooner? They never will again now.

Check out Wakeman's Model D Mini-Moog, that's a venerable piece of electronic music hardware right there. It's got to be over 50 years old, I'm amazed it still works :gnehe: They don't make them like that anymore.

Art Blade

mandru

Nice find fragger.

Jeez I miss music like that.  :(

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Takes me back into the early 1970's where Deep Purple was my first favorite band when I moved to California

BinnZ

Wow, Laurens Hammond would've loved to hear that. To me it sounds a bit bombastic, but definitely nice. The only thing I found really awkward was that shiny suit :anigrin:
"No hay luz"

fragger

mandru, me too buddy, me too. At least we have recordings. But live? There's very little of that sort of thing around nowadays. If any.

PZ, I too was a huge fan of DP when I was a teenager, they were one of the first bands I really got into. Lord had such a distinct style and approach, instantly recognisable. I don't think Deep Purple would have been half as successful without him.

BinnZ, if you think Wakeman's suit is flashy, you should see the outfits he used to wear back in the day. With his billowy robes and capes and his long flaxen hair flowing down his back, he was quite a sight, like some beardless fairy-tale wizard. But he had the talent to back it up :gnehe:

I've also had, and still have, an abiding love for 70s-era progressive rock from the likes of Wakeman, Yes, and Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They say you tend to stick with the music you grew up with because - well, it's what you grew up with. But I don't know about that. I didn't grow up with swing-era music, but I've come to love that too. And there are many bands that I loved as a teen but can't bear to listen to any more. So I say phooey to that theory :gnehe: For me, good instrumental musicianship will always win out over showy theatricals and visual extravaganzas. I like to attend concerts to listen, not to watch.

Art Blade

Back in the Summer of 1984, I changed schools. In that new school I knew a somewhat weird guy with long hair and some fluff for beard that might have grown denser and worth mentioning some decades later. He wasn't exactly a friend of mine but he was in the same year as I (we all graduated in 1987) and -- he was a DP fan. Among his mates he used to hang around with, I knew were another one or two who also liked DP. I think DP wasn't active for some time and restarted in 1984, so "we" probably only got to hear their new stuff. That's it. I reckon that the rest of everyone else I knew wasn't into DP, nor rock, and neither progressive or whatever up to hard rock or even heavy metal. One guy, OK, I knew liked heavy metal. Well. I never liked DP and I never seriously got my head around any type of rock. So I had no reason to do that to myself and musically, taste-wise, I went my own way.

As to "you stick with what you grew up with," I think as a universal statement it is nonsense. You may stick with it but you don't have to. Fragger likes swing without growing up with it and I like, or more to the point, I love funk, likewise without growing up with it. And I love deep house (electro dance music in a minimalist way and non-vocal, a very example of niche-music and way off mainstream) although it is a comparatively new genre.

I think you stick with music that you like, no matter when you came across it.

I've always enjoyed rhythm. I grew up with jazz and some dashes of Janis Joplin, Leonard Cohen, Simon and Garfunkel, Jethro Tull, John Lenon, and some more of those names you probably know. And since I happened to grow up in the late sixties and went through the entire crazy seventies until I finally was old enough for the clubs -- and unfortunately so, it happened in those weird 1980s. Regarding music, the only thing worth mentioning that has been evolving since the 1980s is Hip Hop. Actually the roots of Hip Hop reach further back, again the crazy cool 1970s..

Somehow I've experienced the most joy with "70s Funk" and jazz funk, en par with Deep House.

But still, I have enjoyed that vid :anigrin: I think it was full and rich, synths and organ showing off like crazy. It was driven, a fast pace, and virtuous were all the improvised intertwining solos of those two seasoned musicians. Only once, only once was I wondering whether or not a note was off, a slip of fingers at the end of a solo, but it was something of minor importance which means, man, they played brilliantly O0

Art Blade

Guys, I just listened to some old vinyls of mine and I came across this piece of music (same real music as the starting vid of the topic) and thought you might want to listen to something loaded with solos (particularly good ones towards the end of the track) which comes straight from the past, it's 1979 (my favourite year of music) and even if it doesn't show and without the title or band name giving it away, good old George Benson is behind it.

Tony Williams - Hip Skip

BinnZ

Nice one too.  :thumbsup:

I also got a contribution to this topic. Recently I was pointed at Chet Baker. Don't know him or his music, but I was curious. Tonight I was checking out some, and I found this:

Listening to this I've come to realise; they don't make this type of music anymore. Nowadays everything is so loud, so hasty. They've extracted time out of music it seems...

...let's make it worth the waiting. Or let's make it wait. Let's wait together. Until waiting is all there is
"No hay luz"

Tags:
🡱 🡳