Cryptocurrency miners bought 3 million graphics cards worth $776 million in 2017

Started by LowPolyOWG, March 01, 2018, 01:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

3 million GPUs bought by miners worth 776 million USD

Good for AMD, they have been money starved for awhile and their latest GPU release was a bust. However, that didn't meant Nvidia would be safe. Miners apparently decided to get what was the only GPU brand left. Coupled with a memory shortage and the surge of cryptomining, it's a sad day time for the PC gamer looking to upgrade. :banghead: :angry-new:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

Glad I bought my 1080ti when I did. It was just over $700 at Best Buy, now they don't have one for under $900, and it goes up from there. My friend just bought a titan xp and I don't want to think what it cost him. Well over $1000 I'm sure.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

a ti, and only 700, wow, D_B. That seems to be one of the best deals I've heard of :thumbsup:

LowPolyOWG

After Nvidia shutdown 1080Ti production, they started to cost the same as Titan Vs :-X

Indeed, quite the steal, DB :anigrin:

BinnZ

Poor me....
Over here the 1080's start at over 900 euros and the ti's start at 1024, which is the stock version with stock cooler. :'( :'( :'(
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

fragger

LowPolyOWG

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, but don't the companies that make pre-built computers have to buy the video cards too? Or do they have some kind of deal with the card makers to always have stuff in stock at a certain price?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

I'd think so, too. As a producer of pre-builts, I'd insist on a contract with a vid card manufacturer that guarantees an amount of cards that equals my production output.

LowPolyOWG

Hey, looks like the mining fad has started to die off :anigrin: Now it's just a question when it will start again ::) Looks like retailers are getting stock back and prices have gone down :bigsmile:

Tags:
🡱 🡳