Gaming Rigs / PC Specs

Started by Art Blade, May 12, 2018, 07:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

that's what I meant, originally. Like, you wouldn't build a rig around the idea of maximum OC power. That "turbo button" is something I had on my old ASUS rig, too :) The lights on my rig went from blue to red when I activated that.

LowPolyOWG

BinnZ, I saw your comment regarding your new rig. Couple of things to do when you get a new PC:

1: Disable Windows Game DVR (can cause stutter in games) and remove other bloatware.

2: Check for latest drivers, through a web page, or if you still use a CD drive: The disk that came with the motherboard. Note: Most of these drivers isn't up to date, so check the official support pages (whether it be Nvidia/Intel/Asus/MSI/Gigabyte etc). Manufacturers may have programs that will scan your system and let you install new drivers, through said program. (Intel Driver and Support Assistant, GeForce Experience etc). I have gotten BSODs from outdated Wi-Fi/LAN drivers ::) BIOS updates may help against performance/instability issues.

Advanced troubleshooting (don't do this, unless you 100% know what you're doing)

1. Registry editing. There are some functions within Windows that may cause system instability/bugs, or unintended behaviour. Quite risky, as you might kill your system instead. Not really necessary for 99% of users to tinker with. Had a laptop flipping the screen when you flipped it to the side. In the "Settings" menu, that was ticked off. It said OFF in the menu, but registry claimed it was ON  :banghead:

2. Hardware. Insufficient cooling can cause slowdowns. RAM failures may cause freezes/BSODs. Dying hard drives/SSDs may cause trouble. Overclocking may cause higher chances for poor performance etc. Check PC for dust, RAM for damages/faults and adjust clock multiplier in BIOS. In case of a disk failure/crash: Run a disk test. Might be useful to back up valuable files from the disk, if there are still random crashes.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

I once had random crashes caused by a hair crack on the mobo.

LowPolyOWG

Dang, that must have been annoying.

Art Blade

the shop I got my PC from replaced the whole PC and gave me some software for free on top.

LowPolyOWG

nex

When I started my technician's training about 25y ago the first thing my tutor
warned us, Don't ever touch the registry, no matter what the software Dev or distributor
brags about, if you need to fix a registry problem, which shouldn't happen if you don't
stuff around with suspect software, is a reinstall.
Respect is earned, not given.

fragger

Yep, fiddling with the registry is the computer equivalent of performing brain surgery. If you're not 100% in the know about what you're doing, you can turn the patient into a vegetable - or in this case, a high-tech doorstop.

Dweller_Benthos

I poke around in the registry all the time. Well, not as much as I used to, but there are a few things that can only be changed that way.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

There was a time when some registry entries were caused by "normal" software which could only be tweaked by editing the registry. However, I don't need that anymore, been a long while, too. In the decades I've been using windows, I only needed a fresh installation over a running system once and I don't even remember what caused that. My systems have been stable because indeed, I only install what I intend to keep, no demos and the likes.

BinnZ

Got my PC back. No issues found. It was tested thoroughly on very high settings, no freezes occurred.
Maybe it's my monitor, maybe one of the other devices I attached to it... printer, mouse, kb, headset. Maybe it's something caused by a program, maybe the bug will never return. I will indeed disable that Microsoft gaming bullshit.
Anyway, I 'm glad I got it back 🙂
"No hay luz"

fragger

Hope that's the end of your woes, BinnZ :)

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Focus assist is another thing worth disabling.

Disabling Game Bar and the DVR. It was a massive gaming performance hog on launch day for Windows 10

Tags:
🡱 🡳