Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by PZ, November 30, 2018, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

As far as I understand it: if you saddle a horse it means that you un-saddle the main horse which is normally one with its own stable. The moment you remove the saddle and put it on another horse, the new horse becomes the main horse (not yet stabled) while the un-saddled horse becomes a temp horse without a stable. Any new temp horse will turn it into a horse without a marker and that means, it will be lost even if you save and reload the save game. So.. as long as there is no purpose in saddling a horse, it can cause unwanted loss.

PZ

Art Blade

welcome :) Of course you can saddle horses but you should know what you are doing. If it is only for cosmetics, the consequences might be a tad to harsh if you forget what you did. ;)

Funny anecdote:

I found a way to make horses my accomplice when stealing cow and bull hides.. hop over the fence, silently kill the cow/bull with lasso and knife, skin it, and call your horse to come into the fenced area through the doors where there are guards. Stow the skin, jump over the fence and call the horse again which will run through the doors to you. Nobody cares about a horse, only the rider IF he sits on the horse :bigsmile: So I got away with stealing those skins, no wanted level, no shootings, nothing except losing honour for killing farm animals :D

Dweller_Benthos

Nice trick on the farm animals, another one to remember.

So, if you take a horse with a saddle to a stable, leave it outside, then go inside and take the other horse that's stabled there, it won't be your second horse, even though it is your horse already? What if I then take the saddle from the first horse, put it on the second horse, then take it back off and put it on the first horse again, all outside the stable. The second horse will just run away?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

You know, after all the questions which I answered all, I suggest you just save the game and try it out. You obviously get more confused the more answers I give, causing more questions, more answers, more confusion. Essentially I answered all of it, and I actually gave answers in the detailed posts before you asked the questions. It is too theoretical to imagine, for you it's just like running around in circles. You can read the detailed posts if you want to check something but you need to try it out. I really think it's the only way for you to get the hang of it. As long as you saved the game with your 2 horses, nothing can go wrong.  :)

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on December 29, 2019, 11:12:02 AM
I found a way to make horses my accomplice when stealing cow and bull hides.. hop over the fence, silently kill the cow/bull with lasso and knife, skin it, and call your horse to come into the fenced area through the doors where there are guards. Stow the skin, jump over the fence and call the horse again which will run through the doors to you. Nobody cares about a horse, only the rider IF he sits on the horse :bigsmile: So I got away with stealing those skins, no wanted level, no shootings, nothing except losing honour for killing farm animals :D

:D :thumbsup:

Nice trick - I must try!

Art Blade

I came up with the idea when I realised I was carrying a massive skin and couldn't throw it over the high fence. I would have had to walk all across the area, through the doors, with the stolen skin on my shoulder, and try to convince the farmhands that I did nothing wrong? Nope.. but one of my horses had followed me in so I saw where the door was, far away and people there.. then I had the idea as described and it worked :anigrin: I stole a cow hide AND a bull hide, both horses helped me :D

BinnZ

Just that I don't loose this; someone gave me the link and it seems interesting:

https://jeanropke.github.io/RDR2CollectorsMap/
"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, Art, I will just have to try things out. I think it will mostly be frustrating to me that the game doesn't w0#k in a logical manner or the way I think it should. I mean, I have two horses now, but I can't use them, I have to go out and find another horse, why?

Thanks for the link to that map, Binn, that will come in handy.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I agree on the so-called logic of the game. I almost can't count the things that are really annoying me. For a game with that much of a hype, it's designed absolutely horribly. The graphics are outstanding and the free roam stuff is truly great but as soon as it comes to how things should be or w0#k, to intuitive menus, or even to user-friendly game design decisions, that's when the lights go out and you hear the crickets chirr. So many inconsistencies and overly complicated menus while it is completely unnecessary.. let alone that many game messages pop up on the screen for just a few seconds, usually when you're very busy focussing on something else, and are then nowhere to be found, ever again. It also lacks a lot of descriptions and help sections. Just one example: The stable icon shows a tiny number, in your case "2," which could even be mistaken as a "Z," top right of that horseshoe but there is no index, nothing, that explains that it actually is the count of stabled horses. Speaking of horses, the health icon that sometimes turns red, to me it looked like a basket or crib, I thought the horse was tired or hungry but it didn't make sense.. it is a brush "telling" you the horse needs cleaning. You can't find that anywhere any more when you missed the message when it first appeared. I really don't understand how all that *bleep* passed QA. Probably they don't have any QA for that sort of thing.

Art Blade

just happened to chat with Binn about this:

Binn: "I just found out that yellow, for camp supply symbols, means 'extra stuffed' instead of 'hardly enough' I thought we were running out of health supplies and keep paying for it, now it turns out to be the healthiest of all LOL

Art:"yeah .. like a traffic light, it's red when it's bad, yellow when it needs attention but it never turned green. Or why is white worse than yellow? WHO THE HELL made those game decisions??"

PZ

I totally agree the menus and finding information is ridiculously convoluted. I mentioned that I had started a new play through the other day, but decided to abandon that game because the first part while in winter was way too linear for me.

Instead, I opened one of my old saves at 15% and discovered that I had all the good stuff and money that I needed to keep playing through.  I replayed some of the chapter 1 missions so I could become accustomed to the controls again, so it is almost like a game plus mode, but skipping most of the uninteresting beginning tutorials.

Art Blade

Art Blade

another example of how bad this game is designed: I needed a perfect carcass of a small animal, perhaps a squirrel. I got one, it's in my inventory. Then I start to cook, several stringy meats I think it was. After cooking a few, I wonder why I get messages popping up regarding "components" of, in this case, a squirrel, like a tail. What actually happened more than once was that I dissolved those animals without ever noticing until finally it dawned on me: at the camp fire you get the option to cook the kind of meats that you've got available for cooking but it doesn't tell you that SOME of it comes from perfectly intact carcasses needed for whatever reasons, so I ended up literally butchering that perfect squirrel without ever wanting to do that. :banghead:

So my advice is, if you've got complete animals that you actually need for something, DON'T START TO COOK ANYTHING that involves that kind of meat (stringy for small stuff) or you might end up butchering and cooking those perfect animal carcasses and then wonder where the heck they had gone.

Even more likely, you completely forget that you needed them: You remember seeing, killing and collecting them. Then you cook them to pieces without knowing and the next time you check your inventory, they're just not there and you might completely forget that you wanted them for something. In my case, send them via mail to some expo. I only noticed when I checked the log with that job and I KNOW that I had had collected some, only one missing. Now all of them were missing.

And of course if the job is "send 4 different small animal carcasses," you cannot send just 3. And you can't stow them some place safe. You keep carrying them around until you find the last animal, then walk to a post office and mail them. UNLESS you involuntarily decide to stuff yourself with them while enjoying a nice lunch in the prairie.

It is complete madness. :banghead:

BinnZ

Oh *bleep*! Thanx for the warning, that had probably happened to me already a LOT of times :banghead:
"No hay luz"

Tags:
🡱 🡳