Red Dead Redemption 2

Started by PZ, November 30, 2018, 07:43:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah it seems pointless to do any of the game because you lose it all in the end. So, even the camp above the river is gone too? John just lives somewhere else? I keep saying this, but that's just stupid. Put all that effort into upgrades and making the camp a better place and at the end it goes away? What happens to the rest of the gang? They just go away too?

I really want to like this game but it keeps getting harder to do so.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

If you really want to know:

Spoiler
The gang "retire"/disbands. Some time later, you find Micah and Dutch in a mountain cabin, where you duel Micah. John then buys his RDR1 ranch and lives there with his family. Until RDR1 starts

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

Yep, Lopo ( :gnehe: ) nailed it in his spoiler.

And yes, Dweller.. same here, same here.. Maybe I can help you tackle this game, the same way I did:

First of all think of the open world nature of the game outside the missions. It is the heart of the game in my opinion. You just need to finish the tutorial, which you did, and then you can more or less ignore the story and just play. I spent over 500 hours in chapter 2 alone, I think in the end it was even 700 hours before I decided to move on to chapter 3 only for the long-scoped sniper rifle.

For your "roadmap" it may help to know that you can play ALL missions except and until there is only one left, the one in the red zone, from Javier. Once you played that, a few more missions will unlock, one will be in the camp and I think Abigail, John's wife, is the quest giver. She wants you to go fishing with Jack, John's son, which unlocks the fishing for you. And that's about all you really want.

So that is where you might want to stop progressing the story.

Here is what will happen if you continue and some thoughts and perhaps tips:

Spoiler
Once I had enough, with about 700 hours, and I couldn't do anything any more regarding crafting, I decided to continue with the story. Bad idea with regards to how you get more and more dragged into the stupidity of Dutch's plans, start to lose gang members, change camps constantly and with chapter 5, Arthur will be affected by his tuberculosis. You can no longer eat all your cooked thyme big game meats in vast amounts, just a few and they stop working or some such, Binn warned me about that and I kept using as little food as possible so it would still w0#k. You'll then end up with the finale of chapter 6 that results in losing Arthur and everything you built and crafted and cooked. And all your money. So you might just as well spend it on weapons, upgrades and outfits because John will inherit those things.

As John, you'll have no money to start with but soon after the start there will be a shoot-out at a ranch that will end with the place plastered with weapons, all of which you can pick up and "re-stack" your arsenal with the guns you had with Arthur, including upgrades. So that is at least something. You'll then magically have "inherited" Arthur's satchel (including upgrades if you did craft satchels) that will still contain all documents like cig cards and treasure maps and some other stuff but all your consumables will have gone. You will have to train up your circle around the cores again but some potions and liquors that provide "XP experience" help level it up quickly. I don't know whether the game places a couple of those into your satchel or if I simply found those that I had saved up for just that occasion as Arthur, hoping to be able to use them as John. I had enough (like 10 for each core) to get back to 8/10 per core. Some time later the bonus core that I had acquired with Arthur kicked in without any notification, so I had 9/10 as before. I found out that the fence sold those satchels you had to grind for and upgrade while being Arthur and still in those camps. Mine were all ticked off because I crafted them but it looks as if you could simply buy them without crafting as the fence lists them under items you can buy, rather than those that you have to craft.

You'll have to play 10 missions in total for Epilogue Part 1 and 11 for Epilogue Part 2 until you (John) are free to do whatever you like. At the end of the epilogue you'll get access to $20,000 but until then, you'll need money. Maybe saving the treasure maps is a good idea, like, don't do that with Arthur but with John, so you get a good money boost to endure the epilogue.

BinnZ

D_B, my advice is you just go with the flow. R* designed it the way they did because they think it's the right way of telling the story. It's all about good, evil and loss. It's a sad story, actually.
Some say the story is bad, and simple, but I disagree. For a game, the story is intense, immersive and deep. You become Arthur, you doubt with him, try to do the good thing with him, don't know what to do with him. And you die with him. It's a typical bad ending. But it ain't all bad. I am curious how you feel when you complete it, and what you think of all this.
I am glad I didn't know what the actual ending was. When my Arthur was getting sick, I was running around looking for clues on how to get better. I insisted Art not to spoil it, and he didn't. Glad so.

And for the horses, most horses can be found again. I found back my white Arabian, and am close to rank 4 bonding with her and John. I did feel a lot of grief for loosing Buell, but there was no other way. However, if you not unlock Buell in the Arthur part, the side quests that will give you the horse can still be completed with John. And really, that horse... it's great!
"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

I'll have to think on it, right now I have no desire to finish the story or much play the game at all to be honest. Maybe if you guys do something in the online version I might join up as I did have quite a bit of fun doing some small missions there even with the annoying guy who stole my horse.
D_B

Art Blade

not really planning on going out there to that wild West online zoo

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on January 29, 2020, 08:11:27 AM
I'll have to think on it, right now I have no desire to finish the story or much play the game at all to be honest. Maybe if you guys do something in the online version I might join up as I did have quite a bit of fun doing some small missions there even with the annoying guy who stole my horse.

I'm in the same boat as you.
Unfortunately, the sluggish controls and the survival game mechanics put me off. I will spend my game time somewhere else :)

fragger

Maybe they should have included the survival aspects of the game as an optional difficulty level, as with FO4. For me personally, things like having to eat and sleep when required and maintaining stuff becomes more of a chore than a fun experience. That's just me though.

BinnZ

Well, basically the game provides you with what you need throughout normal playing. And eating is like refilling your health. However, you can cook the better meat you find to obtain better health replenishments. And the game offers you plenty of predators, who give you big game meat. A little crafting and cooking left and right and you are better equipped. That's all. You don't need to sleep, you can to pass time, but it's not necessary.
I definitely don't consider this a survivor game, but it has a bit of it in it. Nothing too time consuming and still relatively fun. And well, it pays off to go to battle a little more prepared ;)
"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah the eating and sleeping aren't too terrible, not as bad as some games.

At least I'm better off than this guy:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

To quote a classic movie "'tis but a scratch"
D_B

BinnZ

:laughsm:

You also stayed to watch :gnehe:

I achieved 100% completion this weekend. Was a hell of a job. The hardest part was probably getting the Bandit challenges done. You loose honour and money like water, it's horrible. But, it's done. I'm the "Best in the West"!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

1+ O0 Time to play something else then? 8)

fragger

Well done, BinnZ! :) :thumbsup: +1 from me too. Not only for the achievement, but also because I just had to get you up to that nice round 200 Karma :gnehe:

Dweller_Benthos

Nice, and a lot of w0#k. I know I'll never get close to getting a completion in this game.
D_B

Art Blade

well done, Binn :) +1 :thumbsup: from me, too :)

And like Dweller, I don't think I'll ever get that 100%. I never planned to, either. Especially those "bad" things like the bandit challenge put me off. I prefer to be a good guy.

Tags:
🡱 🡳