Prepare for Fall, err, Far Cry (7)6

Started by LowPolyOWG, December 05, 2018, 12:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

I'm liking this more I see of it. That PC Gamer video has me wondering, though, how an aircraft carrier got to Montana? That's a pretty heavily landlocked state. There are rives, sure, but I don't think a ship that size could navigate them easily. It's also nice to see a post nuclear landscape more or less intact, for want of a better word. Sure, the areas directly adjacent to the blast zone would be pretty devastated, but in general, the rest of the landscape would be more or less the same. Twenty years later, which isn't really a lot of time, but enough, would allow things to grow back and recover somewhat. The Fallout games take it to the extreme as far as that goes and it's not really accurate I don't think, especially since most of the games take place hundreds of years after the war, when most everything would have recovered nearly fully.

And mutations from fallout don't usually create monsters, but more likely cancer which just kills the affected organism. Anything that's exposed to more radiation will just die from cellular damage pretty quickly. The thing that most affects what I would see in this game would be the collapse of society after the bombs and people trying to survive that, more than any kind of effect from the bombs themselves.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

I hope a carrier didn't get there because of some unbelievable drug induced haze. There is no way in reality a carrier would end up in Montana unless there was a wicked high tsunami.

Art Blade

nex

Now this is what I call jerking the dam out from under the duck's *bleep*.
Do you need a rocket launcher to kill one bad guy ???
Geez UBI*bleep*, I think you should go :banghead: so your brains (the little you have left) can settle down

Respect is earned, not given.

LowPolyOWG

Not really. You need good aim, as headshots is the most efficient way to kill, based on other videos. Remember, playtesters plays like idiots most of the time. Probably thought: "Hey, let me try killing you with the rocket and not aim it at you"  :laughsm: It's basically The Division/AC Odyssey mixing with Far Cry. What happened is the enemy is of "purple" rarity  (which mean immune to grey gear, slightly damaged by blue) and easy to kill with gear of the same rarity as him. The player used a rusty shotgun (grey rarity) which didn't do much damage. He then tries the RPG, but does a terrible job at doing so  ;)

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on January 25, 2019, 08:19:46 AM
The Fallout games take it to the extreme as far as that goes and it's not really accurate I don't think, especially since most of the games take place hundreds of years after the war, when most everything would have recovered nearly fully.

And mutations from fallout don't usually create monsters, but more likely cancer which just kills the affected organism.

I don't think the Fallout games are supposed to be taken as serious interpretations of what a post-nuclear world would be like. Just as the devs created everything in a tongue-in-cheek, 50s-era retro-futuristic style, they also modelled the devastation and "mutations" on popular culture notions from that period. There were folks back then did indeed believe that an all-out atomic war might result in world-wide devastation which could last for centuries, and that radiation might "mutate" creatures into fearsome monsters. A number of movies were made in the 50s (and even later) which featured ordinary creatures which grew to enormous size as a result of exposure to radioactive fallout. Them,  The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, It Came From Beneath The Sea, and Beginning Of The End are a few examples (or if it wasn't fallout, it was still the result of misused science, in movies such as Tarantula). There was even a movie about oversized scorpions (The Black Scorpion), though I can't remember how they came about (but consider FO4's Radscorpions).

I think the FO devs do actually know better, but they stuck with the theme of "this is what people living in the 50s thought", or based their concepts on visual aspects of that era's popular pulp science fiction.

Given the movie posters and trailers seen in the game that acknowledge the "monster movies" from the 50s, I think the mutated creatures in FO4 are more a kind of nod to those old films and pulp stories than a serious take on the consequences of nuclear war. The entire game, from a point of view of conceptualization, is a tribute to pulp-era science fiction and is not meant to be taken as any kind of realistic representation of a post-apocalyptic world. It's all essentially a kind of pulpy spoof. As a fan of the pulp SF era (or rather, the visualized aspects of it), I have no doubt that the devs share my page. If you're an aficionado of imagery from that period, you see tons of references to it throughout the game world (especially the magazine covers). That's one of the things that endears the game to me 8)

In short, I'd describe FO4 as "Pulp Science Fiction: The Game" (with the disclaimer, "Not To Be Taken Seriously") :gnehe:

[spoiler text=a few comparisons]

FO4 Red Rocket Garage and 1950s McDonalds
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

FO4 car and 1956 Buick Centurion concept car

No comment necessary :gnehe:
[/spoiler]

Art Blade

PZ

nex

I think you're right fragger, nice post   O0

LowPolyOWG

There are multiple ways to portray a post-apocalyptic wasteland  ;)

D_B, reading on the Internet, Far Cry New Dawn will have bubble locations outside the map for the Expeditions. Basically, there are missions not taking place in the FC5 map. In other words, that hangar ship is located somewhere on a coast, outside of the Hope County map.

fragger

Thanks chaps :)

Ah, the days when a hamburger cost 15ȼ... A bit before my time, I hasten to add (I don't hasten to add that it wasn't much before my time)

Art Blade

PZ

:D :thumbsup:

I like hamberders - always a favorite in my house  :gnehe:

nex

We eat homemade Hamburgers every Friday night  :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳