The future is 7 nm

Started by LowPolyOWG, January 10, 2019, 12:49:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

Yesterday, AMD announced their 7 nm CPUs, and surprising everyone, a 7 nm Vega. Despite being a demo, the Ryzen 3000 is near equal to Intel's i9-9900K in terms of performance, at a lower TDP (180W for intel, 130 for AMD). How did AMD do that? They went for a chiplet design, where the cores are now separated from the I/O die. The I/O is responsible for the internal CPU communication in a system and is now it's own chip. Makes it easier to shrink the CPU core itself and manufacture it, without risking waste.

Intel are still clinging to a monolithic design and their constant rehash of Sandy Bridge only gives them an advantage in clock speeds. Their 14 nm++++++++...+ process is a meme at this point.

Look at the size of this thing! :o I expect AMD to slap in another 7 nm chiplet for a 16c/32t monster :anigrin: This makes it very likely for this being the powerhouse in the PS5. Not the 16c, but the 8c with a GPU added, instead of an extra chiplet.
Spoiler
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The new GPU will come on February 7th and according to Nvidia, it's just underwhelming. No ray tracing support and no AI for advanced anti-aliasing. Other than being a 7 nm part, nothing exciting. It got 16 GB of VRAM and it's probably built on data center GPUs that failed the binning process. I expect ray tracing to be a thing after 2020, once the Xbox/PS5 arrives. No consoles are able to utilize the tech for now and given the majority of games are "console ports", no point in using that.

Ryzen demo.

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Get out of here, you spamming piece of *bleep*.

edit: I deleted the post this one here is referring to. /Art

Art Blade

hehe, I hammered him out and deleted his post. ;) While I was at it, I removed that "guest" post and follow-up commentary as well.

LowPolyOWG

You might want to remove the tags the guy added aswell...

Art Blade

tags? Wow.. I really didn't expect that, cheers, and a +1 :thumbsup: for you :)

Done.

LowPolyOWG

O0

Thank you :) 1+ for you too, our excellent banhammer

Art Blade

PZ

Thanks for taking care of business, AB  :thumbsup: +1

Art Blade

Art Blade

funny thing: right here were three (!) posts by a member who had registered on January 11, 2019 and only now went live—as a spammer. And again, they even left tags. :angry-new: This time I checked :gnehe: I wonder why specifically this topic attracts spammers.

But as you can (not) see, spam and spammers don't last long here. :evil2:

fragger

Art Blade

cheers, keepin' it neat and tight :gnehe:

LowPolyOWG

:anigrin:

Hmm, maybe because they think their spam can be shrinked to 7 nm  :huh-new:

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳