Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I don't think such a significant frame rate drop would only affect running. You'd notice it when just turning around looked like a slide show.

The idea that some programs or remaining parts of it are interfering with FO4 is intriguing. That instantly made me think of autostart. I'd check for any programs that are fired up on start and then running in the background, like an antivirus program. These are known for causing problems with games. I'd try that first, perhaps go offline before trying out to stop an AV program. Other programs could be identified with the task manager and switched off one by one from there.

mandru

Drive space?  A little over 2TB combined on the two drives set to Raid0 and Three TB on their back up drive plus another 2TB on a fourth drive dedicated to Linux that windows not only never touches but is completely blind to it's existence as it is accessed through the mother board.  :anigrin:

Yeah, FO4 does conveniently pause and minimize when another process forces its way through with a pop-up notice when I'm playing too.

As far as other programs running knowing in advance that they could be problematic as hidden CPU cycle suckers I've disabled all On Start Up or deleted every last bit of all of the bloatware garbage like Local weather and News Feeds that comes pre-loaded on Win10 possible.  So other than Norton for virus protection when browsing the web there shouldn't be anything other than necessary operational services running in the background.

I intentionally never loaded any of the MS office suite related components to this gaming rig.

I'm playing pure vanilla with no mods and never remapped any of the keys though I did check the control settings to verify that L-Shift is still listed as the sprint key.  Even switching between god mode and regular play has no affect on my movement speed when this bug kicks in.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

somehow it reminds me of the "lock" function of windows when hitting shift 5x in quick succession. I don't know whether or not that might cause the lock-up of the run function. Maybe worth checking, and perhaps disabling it.

fragger

Okay mandru, I think we can definitely rule out lack of disk space as a cause then :anigrin:

I'm pretty sure we touched on this the last time you had this issue, but could it be Caps-Lock related? Just to be certain :)

Can you sprint at all when this bug is active, or are you completely limited to walking/carrying-too-much speed? Because I found this, sounds like much the same prob. Dunno how much help it is, if any:

from r/fo4

mandru

If I could sprint at all I would stick to that as I'm usually in god mode and losing no AP by sprinting.

One of my first frustrations of the game was alleviated when I discovered that my accidental hitting of the caps lock would mysteriously slow me to a crawl.  I've encountered that gum up so many times it's become a habit to check the caps lock first so I can rule that out.  I know that pressing and holding the C key will also allow the player to selectively Creep when playing in stealth mode.

I need to look into the lock function connected to hitting the shift key to see if its got anything to do with that.

- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

I've also seen where a game thinks the caps lock is on when the light is not on for it. If you have a keyboard with a light for the caps lock that is. Anyway, not sure why, but a some point, you can hit caps lock once or twice, and the game will think it's still on, even though the system and keyboard think it's off. Try hitting it a couple times, I've even seen it where hitting it so that the light is on will make the game think it's off.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

fragger

That happens with my game, the Caps-Lock light will be on but the game thinks it's off, and vice-versa. I think there's two ways that can happen. One is that if you ARE overloaded and you hit Caps-Lock, it doesn't register as an activation because you're already in stagger-mode and thus puts the toggle out of whack. The other is that because it's right below the TAB key, which by default you use to open/close the Pip-Boy, sometimes you might inadvertently hit Caps instead of TAB to quit the Pip-Boy but Caps doesn't do its toggle thing when the Pip-Boy is active, so when you do quit the Pip-Boy, the toggle is again out of whack.

But it sounds as though mandru has thoroughly wrung that out as the cause of the problem.

mandru

If you hit caps lock while in your pip boy interface or in console mode it doesn't register in game play that you've done that but the caps lock indicator light on the keyboard will show that it has been switched even though there's no effect on the game.

If I realize that I've bumped the caps lock in one of the two interface screens (or is it three? - I haven't tried toggling it while in the ESC Save-Load-Quit menu screen  :undecided-new:) I will jump back into the pip boy interface and return it to the off setting so that light will go off on my keyboard to match what's going on in the game.

- mandru

fragger

I took a bit of a hiatus from the game, but now I've been sucked back into it :gnehe:

Man, six months in and I'm STILL finding characters/places/stuff that I've never come across before ??? It's amazing how much they've tucked away into the game world.

Just finished Far Harbor, went about it a completely different way this time and got a different outcome. Last time, I ended up nuking the Nucleus and blowing the Children of Atom to atoms, and had DiMA turn himself in to the Far Harbor crowd, where he got done in. This time I finished with all three of the main FH factions at peace with one another and DiMA still kicking. I could have let Tektus run away and nobody would have been any the wiser, but I never did like the bugger - the way he talks reminds me too much of the Emperor in the Star Wars movies. So I biffed his lights out and bricked up his body in a wall in the Command Center, then let DiMA replace him with a freshly-minted, more amenable synth version. And they all lived happily ever after :evil2:

Well, except for Tektus...

Art Blade

:anigrin: I did the same.

fragger

I thought I was finished with Far Harbor, but in true FO4 style, I keep finding things I haven't come across before. During my first playthrough I didn't explore The Island as thoroughly as I have done this time around, and there is a lot more there than I'd thought.

This is the clearest day I've ever seen on The Island, viewed from Longfellow's place. It almost looks inviting :gnehe:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Way down south, I explored Cranberry Island (which I didn't even visit the first time around) where I found a cool puzzle of sorts. I collected seven journal pages that had been left by a girl named Eliza and had to get power restored to three big generators. Once I'd done that, the door to an old shelter opened up. Inside were what was left of Eliza's family (the Gibbons) who had all turned into feral ghouls and clearly weren't happy about me intruding on their safe space. I had to calm them by administering a few shots of plasma...

But also in the shelter was a key to this shack on the shore, which was chock full of prepper goodies.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It's a bit hard to see here, but on the lower shelves at the back are a couple of dozen or so ingots each of lead, aluminum, steel and a few others. There are also quite a few bags of cement. It'll take a few trips to transfer it all back to Longfellow's place, where I've now got a thriving little settlement going. But I have my Deep Pocketed Heavy Combat armor and I have Strong with me, the big green bipedal pack mule :gnehe: He's a great companion to have for junk runs, he can carry heaps.

I didn't go to Cranberry Island in my first game because the map indicated nothing there. This time, an unvisited "farm" icon had appeared there at some point, so clearly it was worth exploring. In fact, having played through to this point on my second go, I'm pretty sure my first game was glitched in a number of ways. Some things are working properly this time around, e.g. "Art vs. Art" worked the way it was supposed to, Old Man Stockton isn't lying dead in the street and Jack Cabot went back to his house for a bit after the Parsons adventure (in my last game, he never went back to his house - he stayed permanently in the Parsons basement). There are a few other things that clearly didn't w0#k properly in my first game, but do in this one. Which is good, because some of those things now make sense :gnehe:

Art Blade

good story, entertaining read :) I had to laugh about "Old Man Stockton isn't lying dead in the street" because it created an image in my mind and imagining your face when you found him dead really cracked me up :D

I don't think I ever visited Cranberry Island, I'll give that a shot next time around, cheers  O0

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah Cranberry Island is a cool place, you don't need to go there at all, it's essentially a self-contained puzzle. You'll also notice that Eliza is not among the ghouls in the shelter once you open it. One of her diaries mentions going to a birthday party on the mainland on the day of the war, so she wasn't home when the bombs fell. Hopefully, she did OK wherever she was and survived the war.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Nice story fragger  O0

Yeah that first pic looks very inviting for the FO world  :gnehe:

Art Blade

especially since it's a pic of Far Harbor, which is almost always covered in fog. :thumbsup:

Tags:
🡱 🡳