Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fragger

I haven't tried all the chems yet. Like D_B, I tend to forget that I have them on me :gnehe: I like Jet though (and Psychojet). Apparently it's possible via Perks to extend the effect duration of Jet from 10 seconds to 45. I've never gotten around to getting the appropriate Perk up high enough (the "Chemist" Perk?) I get too busy building up other ones. Since I'm not a fan of V.A.T.S., I tend to go for the combat- and defense-enhancing Perks first, as well as the ones that apply to trading. One Perk I always go for early on is the one that lets you find more Caps in containers (under Luck), so that I can get dough together faster. I also like to have a General Trader in every settlement for access to plenty of shipments, as well as Junk items like Biometric Scanners and Microscopes (for Fiber Optics) and Military Grade Duct Tape (for Ballistic Fiber, which is hard to come by).

I've been trying to collect a full set of Muffled Shadowed Combat Armor to make a good armoured stealth suit. I've got two pieces so far. I found that one of those mods (Muffled, I think) can't actually be applied at an Armor Workbench - if you want Muffled AND Shadowed pieces, you have to find them out in the world, either by looting or finding a vendor who stocks them. They seem to be pretty rare.

Art Blade

I think I can help you there, fragger: "muffled" is only applicable to leg armour to muffle your walking noise whereas "shadowed" may be applied to any armour part and both variants can be applied with your armour workbench, given you've got the respective level/tier of the Armorer Perk. :)

So they are no unique items and you don't have to check vendors for them. The reason why you thought they were special was probably related to only finding two muffled leg armour parts and never any other armour part with that modification because.. there aren't any :)

fragger

You are correct, I modified a Combat Armor left leg piece to be Muffled and Shadowed. But one of the two Muffled Shadowed pieces I found via looting is a left arm. (the other is indeed a right leg).

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

So theoretically, a right arm might exist out there somewhere, and perhaps a chest piece.

Art Blade

strange, I got my information from the wiki to back up my own experience

for instance
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_4_armor_and_clothing
http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Armor_workbench

The fact that you couldn't craft/upgrade just any item to muffled&shadowed seems to be proof of a glitched item. I don't recall having seen a muffled arm piece, so.. cool find O0

fragger

Indeed, it might be a glitchy one-off and I might never find the other arm. But I'll keep an eye out just the same. I think I got that arm piece off a dead Gunner.

mandru

Interesting conversation guys.  :)

And dead Gunners are some of my favorite people.  :evil2:

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

I've had an issue with the stairs in my armor building (the blue and red vault piece building in my video) where no AI will go up the first flight of stairs, they just don't recognize it as a place they can walk. I once forced Piper to walk up it by carefully pushing her up the stairs, but most tries she would freak out being in a place she didn't understand as a place she could walk and either ran back down or teleported. Once I did get her up far enough that she teleported to the top and the could walk around the second floor with no problem. I don't recall for sure if she would go up the second flight of stairs, but I think she did, she could navigate them like any other stairs. I think some of the building parts are not correctly configured with whatever they need to allow the AI to navigate around them. That's why sometimes the NPCs just don't go where you think they should, they can't see a path around an object to go there even if it's obvious that they should be able to get there with no issue. Sometimes I would have a platform or doorway they wouldn't walk through and putting the small set of wooden stairs leading up to it would connect the area they are in with the place I just built and they'd see it as a valid place to walk to after that.

As far as loading times goes, there's a mod that will speed up loading times a little bit, it's not amazingly faster, as the game can only load so fast, depending on your computer hardware, but the game does have a built-in speed limiter to make it compatible with consoles. That's why the game is locked at 60 fps, and the physics engine is tied to it as well, to be workable on consoles. If you unlock your frame rate with a config file edit, the physics engine will freak out because it's running however many times faster than it was designed for. The thing is, this frame rate lock is also applied during level loads, so, on a PC at least, the load time is longer than it needs to be. The mod unlocks the frame rate during load screens only, and sets it back to 60 fps once it's done loading. Like I said, it speeds up loading somewhat, enough to be noticeable, but it's obviously not going to be instant.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

one more reason to stay away from consoles. :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

If you want the fast loading mod I can look it up when I get home.
D_B

fragger

It is odd how settler AI behaves. I'm also having a prob with them at Abernathy's. I have a dorm-type building that is as easily accessible as I can make it, but they just won't go in it. It's just one floor at ground level and all they have to do is walk into it, but they just do the stand-around thing at bedtime. I tried assigning the beds, but only one of them went in while the others stood rooted to the spot all night.

On the other hand, in my last game I had a complex kind of structure at Starlight which had a staircase with not one but two landings, with the adjoining stair pieces at right angles to each other, so that looking from above the stairs made a three-sided square shape. I didn't think they'd actually use it and was quite prepared to demolish it and think of something else if I had to, but to my surprise they went up and down it quite readily (the stairs were the long ones with the railings from the "Barn" set).

Who knows how it works. It's very finicky at times.

D_B, that's interesting about the load times. Once again, we PC users get hamstrung by console priorities, like the build limits at settlements ::) At least there are a couple of workarounds for the latter without having to use mods, so I guess that's something. The load times vary of course depending on where you are on the map. The longest loads appear to be in the city, which figures given the amount of structures and detail there. The Financial District, the Theatre District and Back Bay seem to be among the worst offenders.

I can put up with it though as a trade-off for the relative rarity of having a game I'm crazy about :gnehe: So unless someone else wants the mod, I'm good mate. Thanks :)

Art Blade

D_B, I don't need it, either, but I do thank you for offering. :)

Dweller_Benthos

No problem guys, just thought I'd mention it.
D_B

fragger

Yes, got the Muffled Shadowed Combat Armor Right Arm piece! I actually bought this from Lucas, so maybe the Left Arm wasn't a glitchy one-off after all.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I now have all the limbs, but I have a feeling there's no such thing as a matching Chest piece. I may have to make do with just a Shadowed one.

Still, I'll keep an eye out.

Art Blade

very cool, fragger :) I'd almost be inclined to offer you a job as a scavenger over at my FO4 settlements :gnehe:

Tags:
🡱 🡳