Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Thanks fragger that's good info.   O0 +1

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

fragger

Thanks for the thunb-up, mandru :) You're very welcome. I'm always happy to enthuse about anything FO4 :gnehe:

I may have to make a slight change to my previous post, now that I think about it. If you're on Rank 3 and you have a creature pacified, when you point your weapon at it the prompt that appears may be "Command", not "Follow". I can't remember right now and I won't be able to verify until the next time I have a pacified critter on hand. If I have to amend my post accordingly, I will and I'll notify :)

fragger

Indeed, pointing a weapon at a pacified creature produces a "Command" prompt, not "Follow". "Follow", and all other commands, become available once the creature is under command. Prior post amended accordingly.

I pacified another Deathclaw just now, in the same place - at the Red Rocket near College Square, Cambridge. Now I'm off to find some bad guys to sic her on...

I won't try going indoors with "Deathie" yet, just in case (as I suspect) entering an interior acts like fast-travel and I get thrashed as soon as I come back out. I'll wait until I've pacified something a bit less claw-laden before I try that, like a Mongrel or a Mole Rat.

I recently ranked up the "Nuclear Physicist" Perk to max (3) and according to the Perk Chart, on that Rank you can "eject" a Fusion Core from your Power Armor which will then go off like a Nuke Grenade. What it doesn't tell you is that the Fusion Core isn't so much ejected as it is simply allowed to fall out - and then it goes off, after a couple of seconds. I found this out the hard way in Gunner's Plaza when I attempted to throw a grenade without realizing that I'd run out of them. This is how "ejecting" a Fusion Core is performed - if you have no other chuckable or plantable explosive selected, when you hold down your "grenade" key the Fusion Core is ejected instead, or should I say it just falls out and promptly blows the legs off your Power Armor if you're still standing there (damages them to 0).

So if you want to use this dubious feature, it seems you have to drop the Core then run or jet-pack like hell to get clear before it goes off (you do get a few seconds' grace, same as when you activate a mine). The only way I can see that this would be useful is if someone is chasing you, or if you jet-pack high above enemies and drop the Core on them as you sail over.

Another lesson learned from the school of hard bangs :undecided-new:

EDIT: Just discovered something else. I went into my Pip-Boy, then Alt-Tabbed out of the game to send the above post. When I went back into the game and got out of the Pip-Boy, the Deathclaw I'd had pacified had turned hostile and attacked me. Luckily, I had already moved away from her a bit and had my Explosive Submachine Gun equipped and at the ready... I don't know whether it was the Alt-Tabbing out that triggered her, or going in and out of the Pip-Boy. Something else I'll have to verify.

Art Blade

I think whatever it was, you stopped wielding a gun and that freed your Deathie :anigrin:

mandru

Lots of good info fragger.  Thanks :)

That "Nuclear Physicist" Perk level 3 turns out to be pretty much what I expected which is why I've never applied that perk.  I figure I can always find a better use for my perk upgrade points.  Or maybe I enjoy hoarding them too much.  :evil2:

- mandru

Art Blade

I never used it because I was too afraid to use it by accident and, at the time, to find myself stranded in a PA turned metal coffin that had just purged all of its fuel. :anigrin:

mandru

I always kind of imagined something akin to a dirty diaper type incident.

I visualized that I'd be working in a settlement and have an expended fusion core pop out on the ground in the midst of a group of onlooking settlers.

"Oh Sir!  You dropped something!"  -- *Boom*

Instant hostile settlers.  :-[

- mandru

Art Blade

nice. :anigrin: yep, that's nothing I'd want to strive for, either :gnehe:

fragger

@Art, if you "eject" a Fusion Core a new one immediately and automatically loads itself into your PA (provided you have at least one more in your inventory at the time), so you don't experience any power loss.

Incidentally, you can always get in and out of Power Armor even if neither you nor the suit has a Fusion Core. You just can't run or sprint in it, only walk. A flashing red light will appear on your suit HUD, accompanied by a beeping sound, and a message will appear saying "No power - Hold <key> to Exit", but you can still walk around - although walking is all you can do.

@mandru, the only advantage I can see to having Rank 3 of "Nuclear Physicist" is that Fusion Cores last twice as along as normal. But that's it. Rank 2 lets them last 50% longer and makes radiation weapons like Gamma Guns and Radium Rifles do double damage. Since I now have about 500 FCs stockpiled and never use radiation guns, I don't think Rank 3 was really worth getting. I think there is actually a console command which can remove a Perk, and if there is, I don't know whether doing so will knock the player's Level down by one. I might look into it, even if it means losing a Perk/Level. As it is now, whenever I'm in PA I have to keep track of how many grenades/mines I still have on me (and ensure that they are equipped) lest I inadvertently take an explosive dump :undecided-new:

Art Blade

cheers :)

and for you to get rid of rank 3, just use this (won't affect your rank) ;)

player.removeperk 001D2471

fragger

Thanks mate :) I was away from here without logging off, and found the command myself. But I appreciate the help :thumbsup:

I also found this command:

CGF "Game.AddPerkPoints" 1

which gave me back the Perk point I originally used to "buy" Rank 3. So now I'm back to Rank 2 and used the recovered Perk Point to pick something different. Level remains the same 8)

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah for a level three perk, that one always sounded like a bit of a waste, and ejecting a core just sounds like a real waste. Plus it's such a limited use it's pretty much pointless. I mean if you get into a situation where you're so outgunned and out of other options that ejecting the core sounds like a good idea to you, then maybe you should reevaluate your playing style. Just saying, you know?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

fragger

Tags:
🡱 🡳