Fallout 4

Started by Art Blade, June 22, 2017, 01:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Quote from: Art Blade on September 21, 2017, 03:25:09 PMhttp://f4se.silverlock.org/

at least they already left a note that they're already working on an update :thumbsup:

part of that note reads "please be patient" and that's exactly what I'm not -- I don't want to continue what I'd been so busy doing without ALL of the mods working. If Bethesda keep updating their stupid CC in quick succession and at the time the game's runtime, then I'll likely be in the same situation as now quite often. Which is really making me angry. As if they wanted to ruin modded games that don't exclusively use the CC's mods. Bastards

mandru

:o @ Art.  Because I'm not modding I didn't notice before that the link http://f4se.silverlock.org/ has the title of one of my favorite books in it.  I'd mentioned the book Silverlock back in the site archives as a novel where every person encountered (except possibly the title character unless you consider that he's a stereotypical Pilgrim on a quest) is drawn from a wide spectrum of other literary books or tales of lore.  It makes me wonder if there's a clandestine fan behind that link.

Quote from: KingRat on September 22, 2017, 09:41:30 AM
I don't think I've ever tried to "add friends", I just made (almost) all my screen grabs public... KingRat13 if anyone is willing to check to see if they can view.
Edit: just checked and see 3 for friends and 3 private... I'm just going to make them all public although they're not very interesting :D

Ah!  KingRat that's an excellent suggestion!  Take this you deserve it.  O0 +1

As there are few other Steam accounts under the name mandru search my account mandru_owg to find me.

Now (when I have time) I need to get busy and start recording images of a few of my settlements.  I'll probably start with the Starlight Drive-In though I should warn viewers that because of the way Fo4 ignores a lot of the laws of physics some of my constructs are a bit M. C. Escheresque.  :anigrin:

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

:anigrin:

sent you a friend request. :)

Meaning, you need to accept it in order to w0#k :anigrin:

Oh, you might want to set your profile to "friends only" -- currently it's public so I can already see you played an amazing 1,582 hours ??? :)

Art Blade

AHHh. The updated version of F4SE is available :)

Art Blade

Mandru is now via steam connected to KingRat and me :)

I checked out all of the so far 23 screenshots, mandru, and it was unlike anything I'd have expected :anigrin: Floating or hovering are attributes that describe best what I saw. Why plunge down a water purifier when you can use it mid-air to suck in condensed water? That's funny and cool :laughsm:

Nicely arranged settlements, I like how you placed sofas and armchairs a lot, specifically in the centre of the mall area. :thumbsup:

I avoid floating structures but if floating doesn't matter, then it opens up a whole new building dimension. Nice  :)

Art Blade

I did a lot of restructuring inside, adding lights and so on. Once I had a total power loss and couldn't fix it, only a prior savegame helped. The reason must have been disconnecting the power source and building a new power house. When I reconnected it, the power only reached a few blocks (or whatever you call that) and not beyond. Now, it's back to what it was before and it works again all across the whole building. Weird finicky stuff.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

KingRat

:thumbsup: still looking good Art...and still big :D

Art Blade

thank you and yes, it is :)

I found out what caused the loss of power.

Funny enough, it was ONE windowed wall-tile facing the concrete tower where the turrets are located. So far, that's the tallest part of the building, it's the cube-like thing to the right in the pic in which you see me holding a knife and its tip is literally pointing at it. I can't replace that tile without losing power, except with one of the same kind but what's the point in that. I wanted something different. I also found out that the lower and upper part (one story each) of that wall strip are responsible for power distribution throughout the whole grid. How's that possible? I call that sloppy programming and a buggy DLC. Anyway.. now that I know.. there are certainly ways of changing that but the point is, it shouldn't be necessary to FIND ways to get something done that was supposed to w0#k in the first place.

How did I find out? More precisely, how did I know the power was cut all the way across and down inside the building?

FO4 air vault trouble shooting

I used the glitch that allows wiring through solid obstacles. First I went to the farthest point in the house, slapped two conduits on the wall (one to connect to the other so I got a wire to aim at for the glitch to w0#k) and ran the wire through the "roof" to  connect to a normal large pylon. Then I ran the wires all the way across the "roof" close to where I wanted to change the building. I then connected "noise makers" -- they require power and produce a constant noise like sawtooth, sine, square or triangle waves. Loud enough to be heard despite the large reactor humming. So I started exchanging wall parts and eventually.. all went quiet -- that's how I knew I got the bugger responsible for the blackout  :anigrin:

mandru

Art, your builds always look so neat and clean that its almost a bit embarrassing displaying off my "This ain't no beauty contest.  Slap it together and git 'er done" approach.  ::)

Thanks for the comments Art.

At Spectacle Island all of that machinery suspended on platforms in the air is just generators and weaponry.  In that screenie showing the big floating cluster of generators my water evaporators are actually positioned normally on the waterline to the right and just out of sight in that image.  However the generator powering the two large water filters is set on its own little hovering platform.

The only water evaporator who's placement that I have monkeyed around with is the one at Croup Manor on the East coast.  The settlement build zone for Croup Manor sits up on a bluff but cuts out before you can reach the waterline.  I could have stuck hand pumps all over but instead I used noclip (console command tcl) on the slope down the Manor's driveway and found an underground water level with a submerged jutting rock that acted as an anchor point that allowed me to plant a water evaporator at a depth in the ground where its power connection point was barely above the ground.

Once I established that it was up and running I surrounded the bit of the evaporator where it poked up above ground with a metal fence and tossed in a metric buttload (as opposed to the wimpier SAE buttload  :anigrin: ) of the heavy duty lasers  to protect it from the raiders that tend to prefer approaching from that direction.

- mandru

Art Blade

:anigrin:

I almost never used those small generators but I did see the few different water pumps a lot more often in the menu. Obviously I mistook your generators for waterpumps :gnehe: However, it's not about what was hovering but that it was hovering, a lot of your stuff. I find that nice because you managed to make use of all the freedom whereas I forced myself to think conventionally, regarding placement and physics, and indeed, I like order but mixed with functionality and style, if possible. Nothing to be ashamed of, I think, for neither one of us. It just shows that there's more than one way of achieving the same. And to go under ground with noclip to snap a water pump into place, now that's bloody brilliant :D O0

I like your settlements, they look as if you took your own time creating a nice place for your settlers. Comfort zones all over the place, not just shops and all that. They do look good, never mind their uniqueness :thumbsup:

KingRat

I'm afraid my screenshots of FO4 are quite old, and focus more on my power armor collection (my X1 setup is much better) and Cait. She is wearing BOS officer uniform I got from Paladin Brandis when, unfortunately for him, I couldn't talk him down. Most of the rest of her armor is legendary assassins pieces.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=570945166 
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=570945028 
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=570944914

Art Blade

nice pics, and quite the collection mate ??? O0

Art Blade

here, a view from inside the atrium, that's the white thing sticking out like a fin that you saw on the top of the structure in previous pics. It's where the water purifier is located that you saw in the first pics when there were only concrete walls and concrete (more like rusty iron) floor tiles. Because of some issues (couldn't build a sealed case around that purifier) I had to extend the square from 2x2 to 3x3 tiles and now it's taking up a lot more space but it's symmetrical with regards to the atrium base now. And the only door to the outside world is there in the atrium, too. It's still the one in the concrete wall with the logic OR gate :)

mandru

I've updated the Steam screenshots to now include Sanctuary and The castle.
- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Pretty cool, Art. Power distribution in the vault pieces is a total pain, it doesn't follow any sense or normal expectation. When I was building the stuff in Vault 88 for the quest stuff, I just ran wires and conduits everywhere as that was the only way I could figure out to get the power where I needed it. Then, later when I was re-doing some buildings in Sanctuary with the new vault pieces, I was dreading running the power, but after building the whole thing, I just stuck a power conduit on the outside of a wall and hooked a wire to it from my generator and it worked, so who knows?
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳