Notre-Dame ablaze (Paris, France, Europe)

Started by Art Blade, April 15, 2019, 06:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

Built between 1163 and 1345, the early gothic Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris has been largely destroyed by a fire of yet unknown origin.

More information about the cathedral:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris

nex

At least it's not totally destroyed, nevertheless it is a disaster and a sad day for the world especially seeing that tower topple over
Respect is earned, not given.

fragger

That is tragic and heartbreaking :sad-new: PM Macron has vowed to rebuild it, but it won't be the same. They may rebuild, but they can't replace the treasures that were lost, nor can they reinfuse the the walls with the history that had soaked into them over all those centuries.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah it's so sad when things like this happen. So much is lost, at least I guess from what I heard that some of the major things were saved though.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I read that, too. They must have run into the cathedral and grabbed (saved) as many things as possible, one major relic being the crown of thorns.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that and they got the fire out or it wasn't in the area where some of the more decorative stained glass windows are.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I haven't heard about the windows but they said they managed to secure the northern bell tower which was likely to collapse before they intervened accordingly. Had it collapsed, the whole structure would have been lost. Oh well..

The roof where the fire started used to be called "the forest" because it was composed of so many different types of wood and because of the sheer amount of wood there. It was also centuries old. No wonder it burst into flames.

PZ

That was a very sad video to watch. When I went to Paris, one of my most anticipated highlights was visiting the cathedral.

Art Blade

when I first heard the news, I couldn't quite believe it and when I watched this vid it was very emotional.

mandru

A genuine disaster but is this too soon?

They're not quite sure how the fire started but Quasimodo has a hunch.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Art Blade

nex

We at OWG who'm  have purchased ubisoft games can give ourselves a pat on the back
I see UBI*bleep* donated 500,000 euro's to help with the restoration
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

that's really a cool gesture of UBI*bleep* :thumbsup:

I actually got Assassin's Creed: Unity, which takes place in Paris and includes the Notre-Dame as a main attraction (you can walk around inside and climb it)

LowPolyOWG

Being a French company, why wouldn't they? I read that the two richest people in France both donated €100 million/€200 million respectively. As for UBI*bleep*, their gesture have been praised and AC Unity have gotten plenty of positive Steam "reviews". They even had to restore servers for that game :laughsm:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Tags:
🡱 🡳