Pointless Trivia

Started by fragger, April 19, 2019, 05:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Very interesting - I always thought it was because men and women are complementary. For example, my wife tends to put her clothes on a hanger in one direction, and I naturally tend to do the opposite. There are many examples of how we are complementary :gnehe:

Art Blade

she: veggies, fruit, low carb, low fat, low sugar, and water d!et.
you: pizza, burger, all meat, fish, bread, cheese, and wine d!et.

yeah, you're right :anigrin:

fragger

When I was in basic training for the Air Force we were instructed to always put our hanging clothes into our lockers with the hooks all pointing inwards. There was a sound reason for this - in the event of a fire, the clothes can be quickly grabbed and all pulled out in one go if all the hooks point inwards. If one or more of the hooks is/are the other way around, you can't do that. You'll have to waste valuable seconds taking the hangers out separately.

Just one of many valuable little household lessons I learned in the military which have stuck with me. I still do that hanger thing to this day.

Art Blade

I've always done it like that because I think it simply is faster than the other way around :) However, even if you ignore which way it's pointed, there's still one question: which side is the back of the clothes facing, left or right? :anigrin:

BinnZ

I do the opposite with the hangars. I put them in with the opening facing me, because when I grab them out I do it in a fluid inwards movement, which is natural to a quick grab. Then you only have to pull them back out making sure you slightly move downwards. However, my wife does the opposite, resulting in a constant trial and error when grabbing something. I always push, and when it doesn't come out, I pull :gnehe:
"No hay luz"

Art Blade

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on May 25, 2019, 06:11:57 PM
she: veggies, fruit, low carb, low fat, low sugar, and water d!et.
you: pizza, burger, all meat, fish, bread, cheese, and wine d!et.

yeah, you're right :anigrin:

:laughsm: :laughsm: :thumbsup:

fragger

Quote from: Art Blade on May 25, 2019, 08:45:50 PM
...there's still one question: which side is the back of the clothes facing, left or right? :anigrin:

The backs of all my shirts fact the right. Once again, that's a holdover from my time in the Air Force. Why that way around, I don't know - regulations, I guess. There would have been some reason for it. All service-issue clothing had to be hung in the correct order: dress uniform (jacket, then 2 shirts, then 2 trousers), then 2 blue overalls, then khakis (fatigues, 2 shirts, 2 pants). We were also forbidden to have a shirt and a pair of pants on the same hanger - each item of clothing had to be on its own hanger. All buttons and zippers had to be done up, and all items properly ironed as per regulation (e.g. fatigues had to have sharp creases ironed into the proper places). And yes, all shirts with the backs facing toward the right. All foldable service clothing (PT gear, different pairs of socks, etc) had to be ironed and folded to regulation and stored in the correct locations in the correct drawers. Belts and ties had to hang in the correct places, and bathroom kit arranged by the book.

Everything service-related or issued was regulated. Everything. On inspection days, if the inspecting officer found so much as a hair in your comb or a fleck of toothpaste in your brush, you'd get chewed out. I remember copping a tongue-lashing one day for having a tie hanging the wrong way around :gnehe:

It may seem over-the-top and pedantic, but there is indeed a method to the madness. It's to instill an instinctive behavior of organizational thought into you. Many of us would go on to w0#k on some pretty complicated hardware. If you have to pull some piece of high-performance jet aircraft's flight system apart for repair or maintenance, you need to do it by the book - as you disassemble, you must do so as per regulation. You can't just put parts here and there and think "I'll remember where they go", nor can you afford to put it all back together only to find you have a screw or a washer left over and think, "It's only little, it probably doesn't matter too much if it's left out". It blooming well does matter - it's there for a reason, and some aircrew's life may depend on you correctly reassembling whatever it is you've pulled apart. The stringency of adherence to all the rules and regulations is to condition you into an organizational mindset - so that when you do something, you have an instinctive impulse to do it properly, by the book, because someone's life might depend on you doing so. It's a good trait to take back into civilian life.

Something just occurred to me - I wonder if my apparently instinctive reluctance to use cheats in games has anything to do with that conditioning (for want of a better term). If I know I'm not doing something the way it's supposed to be done, maybe something in my subconscious conditioning rebels against it. I never thought about that before.

Art Blade

I too hang my stuff back facing right and that's without any service experience whatsoever. It just feels right to hang then hook forward, back facing right. I'm not bad at organising things and then turning stuff into (unwritten) rules to stick to. Makes life so much easier if you don't have to think about everything every time. :)

LowPolyOWG

Car names. Apparently, some names might mean something vulgar/silly in a different language :laughsm: I discovered it through an Instagram post, which mentioned the Honda Fit being sold as Jazz in Norway.

20 car names which have hilarious meanings in other languages

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

heh, the Mitsubishi Pajero.. I will never forget the reaction of a Spanish friend when noticing the brand name "Pajero" on the back of a Mitsubishi some 30 years ago. :anigrin:

LowPolyOWG

fragger

Some of those are hilarious :D

That photo of the Pinto going up in flames (#14) is actually a still from a silly comedy movie called "Top Secret!" It's quite a funny film, which spoofs war/spy movies in the same sort of vein as Hot Shots, Naked Gun, etc. Same kind of farcical humour.

Art Blade

funny to see young Val Kilmer :)

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: fragger on May 27, 2019, 05:53:41 AM
Some of those are hilarious :D

That photo of the Pinto going up in flames (#14) is actually a still from a silly comedy movie called "Top Secret!" It's quite a funny film, which spoofs war/spy movies in the same sort of vein as Hot Shots, Naked Gun, etc. Same kind of farcical humour.

Nice find :anigrin: Heh, imagine if it was a tank instead :laughsm:

Tags:
🡱 🡳