New CPUs from AMD

Started by LowPolyOWG, July 07, 2019, 10:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowPolyOWG

So, 12c/24t for $499 :o Sign me up, once issues/minor bugs have been fixed and games gets more optimized for it. AMD haven't jumped on the ray tracing train yet, althought they patented a hybrid software/hardware solution. I expect a high-end ray tracing GPU to release next year. AMD's launch schedule after the RX 290 launch is conquer the mid-range market, then let Nvidia have the high-end. Might be questionable to do so, as that puts AMD's offerings 6-12 months behind Nvidia's high end cards.

Anyway, the basics of the video: Powerful for content creators, slightly lagging behind Intel's i9 in modern games. Good value over Intel's offerings nonetheless.

Linus Tech Drop Tips talking about the new CPU. Seems like game devs/Microsoft have some w0#k to do, in how tasks are scheduled across the "CCX"-es

PCWorld's review on the RX 5700s
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Dweller_Benthos

If nothing else, keep intel/nvidia on their toes. Something to be said too, for a cpu and gpu from the same manufacturer, what kind of benefits that might have.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Also, MS "fixed" Windows 10's scheduler in the 1903 update. AMD originally claimed performance issues with Ryzen 1000 had nothing to do with the Windows scheduler, but here we are ::) For games, that has been a problem, where the game/Windows throw tasks around the CCX modules, causing latency issues/performance decreases. Ryzen 3000 CPUs will be used for the PS5/Xbox Scarlett and you do not want latency related performance issues in a console.

I think the issue must be software generally favouring Intel for nearly half a decade. Also, schedulers can break in a lot of ways and I think MS wanted to avoid another repetition of 1803.

How AMD saved PC gaming and forced Intel to improve

Art Blade

that vid.. man, that was a lot of data sheets and all but interesting "history" O0

LowPolyOWG

Yeah, it's a great channel for stuff like this :) I decided to look up Ryzen R9 3900X availability for fun here and stores have them completely sold out ??? The lower tier models are available, R7 3700X and downwards. Meanwhile, plenty of i9-9900Ks in stock. :laughsm:

Art Blade

Tags:
🡱 🡳