Far Cry 2 is being dusted off, BinnZ jumps back into Africa

Started by BinnZ, April 01, 2020, 04:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Art Blade

I used to be the moderator of the FC2 boards (so I'm probably supposed to know the content) before handing them over to mandru when I became "global moderator" :) That was obviously before I became admin. *Sigh* it's been a long time now.. almost exactly 11 years when I joined.. we're growing older by the second. At least my memory hasn't given up on me (yet) :gnehe:

PZ

fragger

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 03, 2020, 08:07:20 AM
...one thing I noticed right away was that is was much more difficult than I remembered.

It's possible that we've been spoiled by a lot of the player "help" that has become a part of subsequent FC titles (and other games), like tagging of enemies from a distance and being able to watch them through walls, having them marked on mini-maps, being able to fast-travel from anywhere on the map (except from four fixed bus stops), and similar things. Maybe we've forgotten just how uncompromisingly raw and unforgiving FC2 could be, and how intrinsically tough a game it actually is compared to more recent releases :gnehe:

PZ

I think you're correct fragger. I loved the "raw" nature of FC2, and each subsequent iteration of the game has introduced what is for me annoyances that cause me not to return. For example, in one of the newer games the incessant airplane noise has kept me from revisiting the game.

BinnZ

I made my way through the free roam start, too. I picked the guy Fiach had his avatar from, forgot his name. And I exited so I had to make may way to Lumber. The chick is my companion.
When I entered Africa, riding the taxi, I saw the pogo NPC's again. Lots of NPC's seem to like jumping and bouncing up and down. And I didn't even use mods ;D
Infamous is challenging. I get a grip on the handling pretty fast though. One thing that I don't like is the FOV. It seems extremely narrow to me. Maybe it's just me not being used to real first person games anymore, maybe I overlooked a setting where to adjust it. Anyway, that is certainly something to get used to.

Thanx PZ for the link to the maps. I was already longing for the golden AK.

Graphics wise; I run the game on ultra settings, maxed out everything. And I still get over 250 FPS average.  Which is weird because I have V-Sync enabled.
But the graphics do look outdated. Basically because each item in the world, each prop, looks very 'on its own'. You can see a sharp line between the trunk of a tree and the sand around it. It doesn't melt into each other. That was the first thing I noticed, considering graphics.
"No hay luz"

PZ

Wow, I can't play any game on anything harder than casual  ???

Dweller_Benthos

The game I was talking about being hard was the original Far Cry, not FC2, I didn't get very far in FC1 before getting killed. The biggest difference is not being able to carry health packs with you. You have to survive long enough to find one and use it then, otherwise you're on your own until the next one. That's the biggest hurdle. Also, it seemed the enemies in that version were much more aggressive in finding you once you've made noise. Probably more of the AI cheating because it knows where you are, than the AI being more I if you know what I mean, and actually having to look for you under the parameters of what a real human would be able to do.

So if you want a surprisingly hard time, try the original Far Cry and see how far you get, I didn't get far lol.

And thanks for the links to my old maps. I do have printouts I found with scribbles on them and marker pen notes here and there, that I was using back in the day. Like I said, I probably won't play it every day or even every week but it's nice to have to fall back on if the urge strikes.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I finished FarCry but I hated the 2nd half of the game when the mutant monsters started to become your common enemy. I started a new career more than once but I'd stop as soon as the mutants became too annoying. I really enjoyed the 1st half when you had to cope with mercs only.

nex

Agree with you Art, especially those zombies on steroids with their "Monster" guns     :banghead:
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

it was horrible, yes. Man, I remember the lagoon and the jungle, the blue sea and skies, the tropical birds.. it was marvellous.. until those mutants ruined it.

nex

That's what put me totally off all science fiction games and movies with mutants, zombies and their like  :undecided-new:
Respect is earned, not given.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I just used god mode and an ammo cheat from then on out, it definitely was a better game the first half, especially finding the old WWII bunkers and wrecks around, that was fun. I do recall at the time that everyone thought it looked amazing and had awesome graphics. I did too, but now it looks very dated. Of course back then I might have been playing at 1024x768 or maybe even 800x600 so the increase in resolution was not kind to it.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

same. I remember that in order to cheat I needed to program them first and using something called LUA. It wasn't simply using console cheats.

PZ

I originally wanted to play Far Cry, but when you gents mentioned mutants and the like, it was not in my interests any longer.

Tags:
🡱 🡳