Far Cry 2 is being dusted off, BinnZ jumps back into Africa

Started by BinnZ, April 01, 2020, 04:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

It's like the rare occasion when someone e-mails me asking about modding BF1942 and I draw a blank, as I only partly understood it then and that was over 15 years ago! And since all my BF1942 files died in a hard drive crash I can't even go back and refresh my memory about what it even took to accomplish all that. So I just say, "um yeah, sorry I dunno". lol
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I think this here is a bit different as we got both the original posts and a new presentation of an old part.

But quite obviously I am unable to find the right words to help nexor. :(

If anyone can explain it better, go ahead :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Unfortunately, I never did any modding in FC2 except to use the trainer which was just install and use hotkeys.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

Quote from: nex on April 23, 2020, 05:29:43 AM
The last part is the confusing part.

I know the 30_player.xml changed to player.xml was added to the mymod patch folder,
Do I understand the same player.xml file should be added to the patch.xml file below 22_weapons
Or am I wrong?

It sounds almost like you changed the name of 30_player.xml to player.xml while it was still in \Far Cry 2\modding\libraries\world1\30_player.xml Is that correct?

If so, as I read AB's instrux, it reads like you should have just copied that 30_player.xml into your area like this: \Far Cry 2\modding\mymod\patch\30_player.xml and then changed the name of that file you jist copied to player.xml. At this point you can open that player.xml in notepad and start editing the lines.

Of course I might be way off base because I too have not coded any mods for a very long time.

Art Blade

apart from that I don't know what nex did, you got the rest right, PZ. It is exactly what my instructions were: copy first, then paste, then rename.

Art Blade

By the way, I hope you get it sorted, nex. :)

Also, I wonder whether an analogy might help:

Think of xml-files as instruction books, and folders as book shelves. The game is someone who reads those books in order to know what to do. If you put the same book (copy) into a different shelf (paste into folder) and wrap it in a different cover (rename the file) and then write a new paragraph at the end of that book (editing the file) then you're very close to what is actually happening when modding. Since the game reads the "books" sequentially, the order is important where those books are. The game first reads the old instructions, then the new ones (the mod) so that's why you make changes by simply adding some stuff at the end. It is much easier than having to change everything in the existing books because someone (the devs) had done the same thing as you, they added stuff (patches) somewhere and you "correct" that stuff by adding your mod instructions at the very end of what the game reads. You overrule with your "mod-book" any instructions that came before yours. You literally and figuratively have the last word. :)

PZ

PZ

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Spoiler
Sepoko

nex

I'll cratch around to see if I still have the drive I used at the time, If I still
have it then all the files and folders should still be intact
Thanks for the help guys   :beer2:
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

PZ

PZ

edit: I made the picture visible right below PZ's link which didn't embed the pic in this post. /Art

http://www.openworldgames.org/owg/forums/index.php?action=media;sa=media;in=233;preview

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Spoiler
Police Station coming in from the back

Art Blade

PZ, I got an easy riddle for you regarding your previous post: "how the heck did he do that?" :gnehe:

Spoiler

I saw your link and assumed you wanted to show a screenshot. I went back a few posts to find a link that actually embedded a screenshot from our own forum (as opposed to some outside sources you and Lopo used) and copied that link. It ends in an ID. Then I looked at your link which got a number at its end so I guessed that might w0#k as an ID and changed the copied link accordingly, simply by replacing the number there with the one I got from your link. And it worked :anigrin:

PZ

:D :thumbsup:

The pic is on our old forum, and embedding the image usually worked for me, but yesterday it did not, likely because I found it through Google Images and used that link. Thanks for the fix!

fragger

I certainly don't have any FC2 pics on my current PC. The ones I had were two machines ago :gnehe:

I could probably unearth some from the old site, but I probably wouldn't remember where in the game they were taken, let alone challenge you guys to do it :huh-new:

Tags:
🡱 🡳