Chili Cheese Dogs

Started by PZ, August 02, 2020, 10:27:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

We made these decadent dogs on a recent RV trip. We like to split the dogs so they fit the buns better, and then loaded the dogs with doctored up chili and of course plenty of cheese.  :gnehe:

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Art Blade

That must have been a pretty enjoyable trip :)

There's something I really can't get used to: eating finger food / fast food like burgers or hot dogs with cutlery.

PZ

Great trip as they always are  :gnehe:

Cutlery is definitely not normally our thing, but these dogs were so stuffed, you could not close the bun.

nex

We had hotdogs for Saturday, sausages, we call it "boere wors", with fried onions and some homemade mustard
these were made from the "Kudu Antilope"

Respect is earned, not given.

BinnZ

Quote from: nex on August 02, 2020, 12:56:38 PM
We had hotdogs for Saturday, sausages, we call it "boere wors", with fried onions and some homemade mustard
these were made from the "Kudu Antilope"

Ziet er lekker uit Nex! Ek es verrast!
"No hay luz"

PZ

Those sausages look great nex!  :thumbsup:

nex

Thanks PZ, it's the best game sausage I've had in a long time.
We're using it sparingly though, had about 30kg to start off with,
it's down to about 15kg.

BinnZ, waarom zou je verrast zijn?
Because it's very much like your braadworst?
Boerewors is made from 70% beef (or any game meat)
20% pork and 10% spice and water, no more than 30% of the meat
should be fat. The main characteristic of boerewors is the course-ground meat

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

PZ

I know what you mean; I do not have sausage as delicious as yours sounds, but I like to grind various meats for various purposes. I think I mentioned in another post how expensive beef is here these days. Mostly I wait for sales at the local restaurant supply place for beef and pork (which is usually priced economically).

nex

When I was a kid every December holidays we went to one of my mom's cousins on a farm, the day
after we arrive the men would go slaughter a pig and a young ox of about 18 months old, the ox would be
one of a few calves farmers keep out for that purpose, after one is selected the rest then join the herd.

All the meat is split between the two families, meat for making boerewors is sorted,
and boy do we then make boerewors, no less than an inch and a halve thick!! 
The only spices used are salt, black pepper, corriander and Worcestershire sauce.

PZ

Sounds delicious, and quite the experience!

fragger

PZ and nex, that all looks yummy O0

I love a good sausage. When I was living in the town of Forster a few years ago, my local butcher made herb and garlic pork sausages which were about the best "snags" (as we sometimes call sausages) that I've ever had in my life. I still sometimes make the 100-kay round trip just to get some :gnehe:

Here's an obscure footnote from the storied saga of the sausage:

There is a cultural artifact in Australia which has come to be known as the "Bunnings Snag". "Bunnings Warehouse" is a giant national hardware chain which has pretty much cornered the market on hardware sales in Oz. Their stores are generally huge and if they don't have what you want, you probably can't get it. The one in the main town near me is a whopper, with a floor space the size of a football field.

Some time ago (dunno when exactly, but quite some years ago) a kind of tradition got started. Every weekend, somebody would set up a "sausage sizzle" near the main entrance of a Bunnings. The setter-upper would be from some local community-oriented organization such as Rotary or the Lions Club, and for $2 you could get a sausage sandwich. This was nothing special - a barbecued sausage with optional cooked onion and choice of sauces and/or mustards, with a slice of bread wrapped around it. Doesn't exactly sound like haute cuisine, and it isn't. But the "Bunnings Snag" has become something of an institution. Visit any Bunnings anywhere in Australia on a weekend and there will almost certainly be a sausage sizzle going on out the front of it.

So when I was living in Sydney, myself and a couple of my fellow biking reprobates initiated a ritual. Every Saturday morning (weather permitting) we would jump on our motorcycles and blat down to the local Bunnings, to meet in the carpark and have a Bunnings Snag or two for breakfast. Standing around our still-tinking bikes in the carpark having a sausage on a bit of bread sharing blather and laughs on a sunny Saturday morning was a most companionable and pleasant way to start the weekend :thumbsup:

Sometimes, the simple things are the best. The Bunnings Snag has a special place in my heart :gnehe:

Art Blade

nex

Sounds like home fragger   O0

A simular thing happened here as well.

We have smallish shopping centres in almost every suburb, the shops are generally set out in a huge square
with the carpark right in the centre, all these shopping centres have a family supermarket where you can buy
everything except clothing, even ready-cooked meals can be purchased there.

Some years ago someone got the idea to start selling hot dogs near the entrance to the supermarket,
the supermarket supply the ready baked bread rolls, boerewors and cooked onions.
The health dept complained it's unhygienic so the mobile kitchen was born with a multiple gas burner BBQ,
these "hot dog stands" only operated during weekends but that soon changed, they are open from about 9am
till 4pm daily, and that also has become an institution throughout the country.

Nothing beats a boerewors hot dog with onions   :bbq:

Dweller_Benthos

The popular thing around here is the "Michigan Dog" - a hot dog with meaty "Michigan" sauce, which I guess originated in Michigan at one point. Much like PZ's they are hard to eat as a regular hot dog in a bun, they are usually so smothered in sauce and onions and pretty much anything else you'd want on them. Now I am thinking about it, I haven't had one in a very long time. Might have to rectify that this weekend though it's a long drive up north to my favorite place to get them lol. A food truck that parks in a turn out along the road near the exit of the highway. Always a brisk business there especially in the summer.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳