St Louis style spare ribs

Started by PZ, March 01, 2017, 10:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I like to use the pellet cooker to do ribs for smoking and developing a good crust, then into the house oven to finish to perfect tenderness.

[spoiler text=cooking ribs]The pellet cooker is set to 225F, and the internal temperature of the meat measured - time = enough to reach an internal temperature of about 170F, then foiled with butter, brown sugar, and honey, and into the oven set at 225F until an internal meat temperature of 203F.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
[/spoiler]

Art Blade

OH MY.. GNGNGNgngngngn..... I'm currently down with a nasty gastroenteritis and all I can do is LOOK at that type of food. I'm limited to chamomile tea and zwieback.

PZ

???

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that, AB!

Art Blade

thank you :) I really want to get this over with

BinnZ

they look lovely PZ!

I tried several times this summer to get good Memphis dry ribs, but that is damn difficult. I tend to overdo the dry rub making it a thick, too tasty crust in the end. They don't get that tender either. Also hard to get the temperature of the BBQ (Weber) right. It's either too high or slowly dying, but I seem to get better at that part of the show :)
"No hay luz"

PZ

Thanks BinnZ!  :bigsmile:

They have actually become one of my favorite easy to do cooks once I got to a point where I found a reliable method.  I use the 3-2-1 method with slight variations depending on the meat itself or my mood.

This is basically the recipe: 3-2-1 fall off the bone tender ribs

However, I do it a bit differently:

• I start the same - 3 hours smoke with a no-sugar rub (if there is sugar, it will burn in the end)
  • Then into foil with brown sugar and honey - wrapped tightly and into the house oven (at 225F) for 2 -3 hours (I see no point in wasting the pellets just to provide the cooking heat)
  • Then unfoil and either eat right away of they are perfect, or back onto a fire if I want to develop a good crust (I usually don't)

If you have an instant read thermometer, the ribs are most certainly done when the internal temperature of the meat is 200F-205F

The resulting ribs almost never fail, unless the pig they came from was old and tough  :gnehe:

BinnZ

Thanx, will remember that next summer :)

I don't have a smoker, but I'll find a way to do that part on the BBQ somehow ;)
"No hay luz"

PZ

One cool thing is that you don't even need a smoker - I use the A-Maze-N smoke tube with food grade wood pellets to add more smoke flavor in my pellet cooker - you can get all kinds of wood, but my favorites are fruit wood. 

All you do is fill the tube with pellets, light them and then stick into your BBQ grill (that has a top on it to keep the smoke in) The 6-inch lasts plenty long enough for mild smoke, and you can refill it if you want more smoke flavor.

The beauty of these smoke tubes is that you can even cold smoke cheese if you like, and can even use something as simple as a cardboard box.

Here's a link to the devices

BinnZ

"No hay luz"

PZ

I'm happy to further the love of cooking in others, BinnZ  O0

Here's an example of what I would do if I had a Weber BBQ grill - however, I would put the tube smoker where I would normally put the charcoal

PS: I like your new "BinnZ" moniker  O0

BinnZ

I like it too, shorter and less serious ;)

Looks cool that smoker, definitely going to try it this summer O0
"No hay luz"

PZ

I have one and really like it because it produces lots of smoke, and you can decide which kind of wood pellet you like - fruit wood blend is my favorite, but I use alder and pecan for smoked salmon.  :bigsmile:

BinnZ

I still have some apple wood, also nice, especially if you let it blend in beer for a while ;)
"No hay luz"

PZ

Here's a pic of the tube I used last weekend when smoking the corned beef - it added the extra smoke I needed due to the fire being too hot for the pellet cooker to make it's own smoke

fragger

Man, how did I miss this topic? All I can say is "Yum yum yum yum yum..." :gnehe:

Geez Art, I didn't even know you'd been sick. Hope you're OK, mate :)

🡱 🡳