GTA Online - The Saga Continues

Started by BinnZ, March 02, 2017, 02:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

A copyright claim on a little over 30 seconds of music? Wow they are really searching for that ad money, and on an unlisted video a few of us watched and won't be seen by the general public. But then, all of that stuff is automated, there are no humans involved, just computers checking digital fingerprints of music and video against their database of copyrighted material. A few numbers match up and the claim is sent off automatically, no human looks at it to see if it's valid or not. All of the w0#k to get it sorted out is dumped on the channel owner who has to try to figure it out.

Did you check that the music in question was actually the song they said it was? I've heard of people getting claims for music that didn't match what they said it was.

As for the guy who intentionally puts in stuff from different owners to get them fighting with each other, I don't think that would get him in trouble and have his channel deleted, as getting a claim is just a notice that someone else has the ad rights to the video, and as long as you don't want the ad rights (money) then no one cares, the ad money goes to the company that made the claim. Having several claims on the same video from different companies just makes them fight over it, which they won't do, because, again, it's all automated, there's no one at those companies looking at the claims on random youtube videos that show up. It's just computers looking at it, finding that if there is an ad on that video, send the royalties to company XYZ, but if two or more companies claim, then it's up to those companies to have someone from their legal team sort it out with the lawyers from the other company. The money involved in most cases isn't enough for them to even look at it much less get lawyers involved.

I looked on my dashboard and there's no copyright notices listed, so I'm safe.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

BinnZ

:laughsm:

It's all quite funny in a way. It should be cool to have them fight over those claims, somehow find a way to escalate their business searching.
"No hay luz"

LowPolyOWG

What's funny, is, Jim figured out that parent companies can content ID claim eachother, e.g Nintendo Japan and Nintendo America isn't the same companies, despite sharing the same name (Nintendo) :D
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on April 10, 2019, 08:16:39 AMDid you check that the music in question was actually the song they said it was? I've heard of people getting claims for music that didn't match what they said it was.

yeah, both claims were correct. The video I had YouTube sort for me now got a muted gap of like 30 seconds which is only during the part I'm selecting the mission. I added a comment on that to my video description.

I've got one recent video that's actually from start to end loaded with one looped piece I don't even know what it is but I liked it and was listening to it while doing a test run which I was also recording. It wasn't meant to be published but for me to go through details and learn from it. The only "problem" was, the test run was unexpectedly a successful run and by that, I no longer had the option to repeat it. It's one of those so-called Elusive Target missions which can only be finished once. In order to show a) that I managed with the highest rating and b) how funny it actually was, I decided to upload it anyway.

The music is from a DJ set which I got from an underground music channel, that type of music is so far off any mainstream that it is probably not protected like the mainstream *bleep* of the GTA club music. I'll leave it as it is and I hope I can keep it the way it is.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah I'm sure anything included with the game is protected, even on a watch list if there is one. Games are starting to come out with options to turn off copyrighted music, specifically for being posted in videos and live streams. I think in Far Cry New Dawn there's an option called "Streamer audio" or something like that, where it turns off all the copyrighted songs in the game so streamers don't get content claims.
D_B

Art Blade

most of the time I disable music anyway but those GTA vids were exceptions and of course, they got tagged.

PZ

The content claims are quite buggy. I use a GoPro which has music that is licensed, but none the less, YT flags the videos as violating copyright. Very annoying.

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

I've heard of people who use music from an artist who releases the rights to be used in videos, or something like that. Anyway there is no copyright on it, but it still gets claimed by someone and youtube flags it. Then the creator of the video has to contact the person who made the music who then has to contact youtube and say it's a false claim, and you know it's some scummy company trying to get money for something they had no part in creating just on the outside chance that the video creator isn't going to go to all the trouble to get the claim cleared.
D_B

nex

If i can, I always turn ingame music off
Respect is earned, not given.

Art Blade

same

I rather try to keep music out of my vids, except I created it myself. :) However, some games got music in it that isn't "music" in the options but "sound" and muting the sound renders the scene a voice recording studio sample with animated pictures. Kind of stupid. I think I'll omit uploading those.

nex

Yes and as D_B says, some *bleep* on youtube might claim copyright in the hope of making a few bucks
Respect is earned, not given.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah it's a real pain. I usually have the ambient music very low anyway, but sometimes it's not avoidable. Usually in game music like that is created for the game and is licensed with the game by the developer, so is usually covered by the game's license, and as long as the developer is OK with a video of game play they are OK with using the music too. It's added on songs that are from other artists where the trouble lies, the stuff on the radio in GTA or even Far Cry, are separately licensed songs and those are what gets you in trouble.
D_B

Art Blade

I found the experience of getting a copyright issue on my vids rather unpleasant even though the copyright flags were "harmless" to my channel, like, no "strike" as they call those. From now on, I'll be careful not to upload any video with music anymore, just to avoid any kind of hassle.

Dweller_Benthos

Probably a good idea, just one more thing to think about when doing video. I don't think Openshot has a separate audio track editor, that's one thing I miss from the editor I used to use, forget the name, but you could manipulate the audio track of each clip separately, increase/decrease volume, add effects, etc, all in the editor, a handy feature to have.

Then again, that editor was so clunky to use and crashed so often you wanted to kill yourself, so fair trade, I think, Openshot is so easy to use it's like being able to breathe again.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳