Finally a new computer

Started by PZ, July 16, 2023, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Quote from: mandru on October 10, 2023, 05:58:08 AM
The SSD on my motherboard still has a fair amount of space on it but new games these days are really storage space hungry.

You're absolutely correct, mandru. RDR2 and Valhalla were both 150-ish gb downloads which took me a very long time.

I'm not sure you need to worry about the jpgs if you have a significant amount of drive space left. I'd check the size of your music jpg folder to see how much space you have consumed. Some time ago I installed a 14 tb NAS to keep all my photos (about 75,000 now), all my music in mp3 format, and hundreds of movies and TV shows, as well as backups of everything. I've only consumed 5 tb of space so far, with over 10 tb of storage pool left.

If you decide you want to move your jpgs to a portable drive, all you need do is right click your jpg folder on the new drive where you moved files to and create a desktop shortcut. You might also need to update file locations for any programs that remember only the old place. This usually only involves navigating to the new location while in the program.

As to games, it depends on how the game is started. With really old titles like FC2 I just copied them over from the hard disk to the portable SSD. However, if your game is controlled by Steam and/or Ubisoft Connect, you'd need to dig into the settings of each game to see where the game is installed and make adjustments for the new location. Sometimes you get lucky and can go directly into Steam or Connect which allows you to change the drive letter. One thing I use is to copy the entire game folder to the portable SSD then rename the original location so Steam/Connect cannot find it. They sometimes pop up that they cannot find your game and ask you to locate it on your disk. Then you simply navigate to where you put it on your SSD where the files are verified and then you are good to go.

I've had a couple of games that required a CD to be inserted (FC2 was one of them). I do not remember how I fixed the problem of eliminating the need for the CD, but evidently found a method long ago. Others like some of the Fallout games I've had to re-download through the game launcher.

mandru

Thanks PZ I do have two 1tb drives already installed in my system so I wouldn't need a portable.  It's just a matter of shifting files from drive C over to drive D.

I just didn't know what was involved in moving them.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Glad to help, mandru. Sounds like it should not be too much trouble given your circumstance  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah Steam has an option somewhere in the game properties where to install it, just tell it to move it to the other drive. You may need to make a Steam folder on that drive first as it also copies over some other files and folders as well. I have most of my games stored on a separate SSD from the OS boot drive, and when ever I install a new game, it asks where to install it to, and since the boot drive is getting kind of full, it goes on the SSD. I have a couple games on the boot drive as it's a faster M.2 drive right on the motherboard but really it's not THAT much faster than the SATA SSD.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳