NO!!!!!

Started by fragger, January 11, 2024, 04:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

I do like the convenience of a cloud service. I built my NAS from Synology components, and as part of that package it came with cloud storage which I installed some time ago and it worked fine. I think I'll go back into that and see how it may have improved because they regularly update all their software packages..

mandru

Sorry Fragger to hear about your loss of game saves.  I did read about it at the time you posted but since it had been a few years from the last time I even opened it I didn't think I really had anything to add.

But over the last couple weeks on YouTube there have been a lot of videos showing a recent renewed interest in the game due to what appeared to be some significant updates and additions to the game.

So I thought I'd login and give it a look see even at the cost of my last character build.

There was about 45 minutes of download so I expected the worst.  But when I logged in using Continue was an option and once loaded all of the stuff I'd collected was exactly as I'd left it.

The only problem that arose was because of the long time since I'd not played the game I quickly realized that I had forgotten all of the controls to perform even the most basic instructions for game play.  ???

An unfortunate casualty was the loss of one of the settlement's happiness creating cats.

I didn't even see it there in the tall grass but I became locked on it with a Gauss rifle and after a lot of button punching trying to abort the shot I must have hit a wrong button and smoked the poor little beggar.  :'(

At least it wasn't one of the settlers.

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

Quote from: mandru on May 09, 2024, 09:42:50 AM...The only problem that arose was because of the long time since I'd not played the game I quickly realized that I had forgotten all of the controls to perform even the most basic instructions for game play.  ???
Same problem for me. I decided to start a new play through because I'd forgotten nearly everything about the game. Sure, it started coming back to me as I played, but I kind of like starting fresh and living the story line again.

mandru

:bigsmile:

Within the abundance of FO4 posts currently on YouTube I found this blast (off :evil2: ) from the past.

- mandru

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah the roller coaster ride in Nuka World, I recall doing it several times with a save reload so I could jump off at various places, especially at the battle scene between aliens and robots (I think LOL) but that was a really cool thing to have in the game. Along with the other ride where you fix it for those UFO people and if you put too much power into it, they all die a gruesome death.  ???
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

mandru

- mandru

PZ

Looks like I have fun to look forward to. I've not encountered either of those two scenarios.

Dweller_Benthos

Both are in the Nuka World DLC, which got some flack but I think it was a quite enjoyable side quest. More than just a quest but a whole new area. The thing people didn't like I think was that you could side with the raiders there and then go attack settlements in the main Boston area and as I recall, there would be no repercussions with the Minutemen or something like that.
D_B

PZ

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 15, 2024, 07:43:02 AM... The thing people didn't like I think was that you could side with the raiders there and then go attack settlements in the main Boston area and as I recall, there would be no repercussions with the Minutemen or something like that.
That's a simple fix - just don't start attacking the settlements in Boston!  :main_knockout:

Some people have the most ridiculous complaints. Evidently if they don't want to do things, they want to ensure that no one else can either.

Dweller_Benthos

It's the old problem of doing an "evil" character that chooses all the bad responses / options, then finds either that none of them matter in order to progress the story, or if they do matter, locks out a large part of the story or the entire thing. Then they get mad about it.
D_B

PZ

Indeed  :thumbsup:

I am enjoying the game more now than before, probably because of how easy it is to install mods. That, and the graphic improvement mods (I always had a bit of a problem with the crude graphics)

T.V.

Quote from: PZ on May 15, 2024, 07:22:33 PMThat's a simple fix - just don't start attacking the settlements in Boston!  :main_knockout:
If You do, one can always use a console command on the workbench to get the settlement back:
callfunction "workshopscript.setownedbyplayer" 1
 :-X

PZ

Nice tip, T.V.  O0 I keep forgetting about the console

Good to see you still hanging around  :thumbsup:

fragger

Steam screwed me with an update again.

This time, after the update finished, nothing Steam-related would w0#k. None of my Steam games would load, and even the Steam client itself wouldn't load. In both cases, all I'd get was an empty black window showing the Steam logo with a loading ring endlessly circling it. I let it run for about five minutes and nothing happened. There was no "close" or "X" option in the window itself, and even Task Manager couldn't shut it down, so I had to manually close it from the Task Bar. Then, when clicking on the client icon or any Steam game icon a second time, I wouldn't even get the loading window. Nothing whatsoever, not even any disk activity. Rebooting the PC, either hot or cold, would get me the black loading screen again if I tried to run the client or a game, but once closed, even that wouldn't appear without a reboot.

My first impulse was to reinstall the client (by deleting everything in the Steam directory except for the "userdata" folder, the "steamapps" folder, and the steam.exe file, then running that steam.exe file. I've done that before). But I thought I'd put in a support request with Steam first, on the off-chance that they could offer a better solution. That was a mistake... I had to wait an hour or two for each response, and when they came, they basically just asked me to redefine the problem in various ways, or made me repeat myself. At one point they wanted a screenshot, so I sent them the only one I could - the empty black window with the loading icon. I had already told them that was the only thing that came up, so I don't know why they wanted a flipping screenshot of it...

At one point, they said the problem was because I'd logged in to Steam from a web browser and not from the client - so I had to inform them again (with a deep breath and through exasperatedly clenched teeth) that the client was not working, which was why, you know, I had to log in from a browser and ask them for help...

In the end, after three or four exchanges with as almost many different support staff members, all offering equally unhelpful help, they simply referred me to their "Troubleshooting" page. Thanks for the enlightened solution, guys...

So I reinstalled the client, which is what I should have done in the first place and thus saved myself a lot of time and angst. That worked - to get the client back. But the strife didn't end there.

The first game I tried running was Fallout 4, and that worked fine, no hassles. Then I tried Civilization V, which would repeatedly spit me back onto the desktop halfway through the loading screen each time I tried. Next I tried running XCOM: Enemy Unknown, which would run for a minute before likewise dumping me back onto the desktop.

I had to get back onto Steam and run a file integrity check on Civ V and XCOM. Sure enough, game each contained a few "unverified" files (dunno how that happened), but at least it restored them, and now both games w0#k (although I had to wait about half an hour for Civ V to "download content", whatever that means).

This is about the fourth or fifth time I've been snafued by a Steam update. I'm thinking maybe it's because I have Steam installed on my D: drive and not on my C: (boot) drive. I installed it on D: because my C: is a SSD and doesn't have a lot of space - just barely enough to hold the 80+ gigs of data which is in my steamapps folder. Maybe sometimes when the client updates, it gets pointed at C: for some reason and thus finds nothing there. Who knows.

Anyway, It's all back to normal now. But from now on, any Steam games I play will be offline, and I'll be turning off my internet connection before I run them to avoid Steam client updates. I've had enough of this nonsense.

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah that's unfortunate Fragger, and a source of hassle one can do without for sure. But you may be on to something with the Steam client not on the C: drive. You'd think we were beyond that sort of thing in this day and age but it seems some programs really don't like being on a drive that's not the boot drive or the one that has windows on it. I have Steam itself on the C: drive with only a few smaller games installed along with it, the bulk of my games are on a separate drive that only contains games. It's slightly slower than my C: drive as it's only SATA and not the faster but smaller M.2 drive right on the motherboard. But it runs games fine of course and for sure don't install games on any spinning iron disc, some these days won't even let you do that, or highly recommend against it.

It's pretty easy to add a new game install folder on another drive in Steam, somewhere in the options, just tell it what drive and folder and after that it will ask where you want to install a new game, either the main Steam install folder on your C: drive or the other folder you've indicated.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳