No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

just two observations to report

1) freighter colour hasn't changed after a couple of jumps

2) it seems to be possible to get closer to the core without using black holes (it was different before the updates and I'm not sure why I thought it was still the case -- I assume that I compared data with itself hence no difference in distance) but I still go for black hole jumps it as they add an extra dosage of jump distance and it's less boring. I use my freighter with nearly 22,000ly jump capacity and aim in free mode at the core, pick a system with a black hole that's about 22kly away, leave my freighter in a "cheap" ship called "He who travels Black Holes" (the yellow fighter you see in the pics in my prior post landing on the freighter) and fly through the black hole that's usually just a stone's throw away from where the freighter popped up in the system. Once I'm through the black hole, my freighter is either there or I can summon it. Rinse and repeat. Still only *bleep* planets that melt my suit down in a matter of minutes and predators and sentinels. Not one nice planet I would have wanted to set up a base. So I think I'm just leaving this galaxy.. I've got some 520,000ly to go..

Art Blade

The game apparently considers me a seeker of extreme conditions. I just unlocked on the fly the maximum achievement for surviving under extreme conditions for 32 sols (whatever time measure that is) and so I am now "The Sentinel -- Attain 'Everlasting' status in Extreme Survival" and the recent planet I visited had "bone-stripping acid storms" ??? as its climate description. The planet before that had "torrential heat" and a variety of predators jumping at my toasting and roasting avatar. Really nice neighbourhood, I have to say, and such an inviting atmosphere. I'm going to leg it once more.

LowPolyOWG

"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

:anigrin:

Just as if it wanted me to go on like that. I noticed a planet described as flourishing planet when scanned from space (within the system) and kind of appreciating being offered something nice for a change, I decided to land there. Sounded promising, after all those ice planets, caustic planets, charred planets, radioactive planets and the likes. So I landed, I read the weather description, in red letters, "Scaling Rainstorms."

Alright, going to need an umbrella, then, nothing to it. Almost like a place I knew, although I didn't expect to see the Buckingham Palace there. When I jumped out and walked a few steps, I heard a weather update, a storm coming up. Well, it read so in the description, nothing to it. Except temperatures decided to jump to some blistering +158°C or +316°F ??? Well then, not going to run around with an umbrella and 500 layers of sun cream while desperately chewing through boxes of ice cubes.

I decided it was time to kick that planet good-bye and off I went.

LowPolyOWG

Damn! That's hot... Hope you can find a better planet, AB :)

Art Blade

Cheers. :)

I finally found one, a dead planet. Excellent!

No atmosphere that melts off my suit, no animals that consider me a snack, no plants that require any attention. Temperatures are acceptable, too. Even the sentinels (sometimes I call them drones) are not aggressive. Perfect. :)

And now that I want to set up base, I can't. It would seem that only HG can decide what I want. Apparently on planets, you can only set up base IF there is an "inhabitable base" present which I believe is a random thing (procedurally generated stuff and so on and so forth) and therefore BLOODY USELESS in a sandbox game :banghead:

However. The planet next doors, which happens to provide me with such an inhabitable base, has got the intriguing description "Paradise Planet" when scanned from space. Fearing the worst, I landed. Of course, OF COURSE, that paradise is mostly comprised of HOSTILE sentinels. Which means, I can't do anything without getting attacked by them. As if you wanted to build your house right inside a bee hive. :banghead:

LowPolyOWG

:banghead: Maybe there's a mod that removes the "inahbitable base" requirement ;)

Art Blade

the only problem with that would be that the nms mod site doesn't "reply" when I try to register a new account and it doesn't reply when I ask my old password to be reset. I just don't receive any email.. I tried with different browsers, too, same result.. no result. Remember, we discussed that before.. does "it remembers my old email address" ring a bell?

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

so no mods for me. And well, doesn't matter. The savegame editor works wonders and I've got a freighter with some sort of base inside. Also, I'd much rather prefer to get rid of sentinels.

However, I tried, with a backup, to start that base there on that planet. It goes basically like this: fiddle with menu, get attacked, close menu, pull out multi-tool (let's call it "gun" now) and kill the sentinel, kill the backup sentinel, open menu again, try to find.. sound of sentinel approaching, kill those two, open menu, try to find what I originally was looking for, where is it.. sound of sentinel approaching, kill those two, open menu.. :banghead: I'm busier with my gun than with my base.

So I ended up going back to my backup and forget that base there. At least I now know that a planet-side base has got a WHOLE lot more options and elements than a base you can build inside a freighter. Also, the freighter doesn't count as base because you don't claim a home planet -- they can go along each other.

OK. So no rushing now. Just in case I come across a really nice system with really nice planets and a casually dropped inhabitable base.. Hey, I can still dream, can't I.

LowPolyOWG

O0 Good luck with your planetary hunt :)

Art Blade

cheers :)

When you say that, I believe in your good intentions. If the game had said that, I'd have though it was mocking me. :anigrin: See, when I found that "paradise" that was essentially a war zone, what do you think I felt when I scanned a planet and it read, "Life-Incompatible?" ??? I can tell you. I really didn't want to know what it meant, I just left the system :gnehe: Then I found another "Lush Planet" that sounded too promising. When I landed, it had "Sand Blizzards" (slightly higher roasting temperatures than the one I mentioned earlier) and the Sentinels were "Threatening." So much for lush.

I'd be inclined to pay HG a little visit and physically "explain" the difference between what they call things and what people expect when they read it. And I'd suggest to them, once they're out of veterinary care, that they rework parts of the game.

Only about eight more jumps to the core.

Dweller_Benthos

Sorry to hear your troubles finding a nice planet to settle on, seems you've had a string of really nasty ones. I'd say about 1 in 10 of the ones I've seen would be decent to build on, nice enough weather, sentinels not too much hassle, no predatory lifeforms, etc. Then if you toss in the requirement of being able to natively grow something you need to craft stuff to sell, the ratio drops a lot. That's why when I found the one I'm on, I stuck with it.

There is a mod to fix ships being too big to fit in the freighter's landing bay.
https://nomansskymods.com/mods/smaller-exotics/

More bases on planets
https://nomansskymods.com/mods/higher-base-density-base-icons/

I don't see one that lets you put a base anywhere though. If you want any of these, let me know and I'll grab them.

I'd also say it's probably best to start a new game from scratch than to continue an old game. I know it's drag starting over but it seems there's too many variables that they haven't accounted for when continuing an old game, there might be some glitches, lol. If I wasn't already so far along in the new game I'd start a new one, but at this point I think it's Ok for me to continue with it, no troubles so far.

I haven't played since I chatted with you, Art, the weekend was busy and the time I had wasn't enough to get into NMS which takes a while and I only had a few short periods here and there so I didn't get back into it. I still need to look up my portals, but since you can't travel between galaxies with them, we might not be able to hook up anytime in the near future, as I have a really long way to go to get to another galaxy.

I did expand the inventory slots on my suit with the save editor, and had no issues. Also added slots to my gun and put on the blaze javelin, and that thing is nice, but I don't have the upgrades to make it shoot faster yet. I also increased the capacity on my storage cubes back at base and there didn't seem to be any repercussions to that. I planted more of the crops I need to build circuit boards and after the next harvest will have planted everything I need (I think) and can start making boards again for money.

I've seen on Reddit ways to get your ship back if you go through a portal, which mostly rely on getting to the station and using the teleporter, which require you to find a crashed ship on the planet you're on. Since I guess you can summon your buggy, that might not be too bad. I always build the buggy platform near any portals I think I might use just for that reason.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

Nice, thanks for the offer. So far, being forced to play without mods, it's interesting to see what the game actually can and can't do. :anigrin:

I think you're right, it's a bit too much of bad luck, sounds more like a glitch and indeed it might have to do with my old game.

Well. I might start from scratch which puts us in the same galaxy. And that should allow us to use portals. :)

Art Blade

for my reference and for you guys if you want, here the seeds for my stuff:

gun
Pink Tom O'Hack 0x72F66FCFBF78002C

fighters
Hands Off or you're dead. 0xEC46F4E6E1176C46
Pen and Pencil 0xD0F54FB10276AFFA
Fire Fighter 0xB70440E6DFFCB333
He who travels Black Holes 0x4DDC968A9D28F6E0

freighter
Yellow Fellow 0x314E5D2FE21C890E

Tags: