No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

No worries. Big update coming tomorrow

https://www.nomanssky.com/visions-update/

Seems the weird plants I posted about above are actually part of a new loot system where you can collect trophies of weird things. Not sure how much use they are beyond decoration, but interesting nonetheless. Also new creatures and weather, biomes on planets, etc.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I am glad that you're keeping us up to date regarding changes and so on, thanks, buddy :)

Dweller_Benthos

Yep, one stop shop for news, that's me!

Speaking of, after the update dropped I played a bit of it, since I have the day off for the Thanksgiving holiday here in the USA, so I had a lot of time to play it. Here's a live stream VOD.

I start off by digging up one of the new animal bones you can find and sell. Then at 2:20, off to the portal to join the week's community event on a strange planet. Then at about 5:00 minutes I scan one of the new "anomalous" animals and go take a look at it. Then after wandering a bit I call up my motorbike at about 10:20 and go for a spin. Then at about 12:15 I spot one of the new "trophy" items and figure out how to pick it up, because I've remapped the keys used, the game doesn't give me the right hint for the pickup key and I had to remember what I changed it to. Then at 14:00 after scanning the last plant I needed to complete the mission, I decided to fight some sentinels. Well, then things go wrong, and I shoot a grenade at one that was a little close, and die. Probably 99.9% of my deaths in this game have been to shooting the grenades too close, either intentionally by fighting sentinels or accidentally because the same button is used to back out of menus as was used to shoot grenades, which is why I changed it to something else. But this time I shoot a sentinel point blank in my face and die. So I take off the planet and head to the station, completely forgetting to go back to where I died and pick up my stuff from my grave, which was no longer there when I remembered to go do it. Ah well.

So then, exploring another planet, I meet up this big bouncy boy. He's very happy.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
D_B

Art Blade

going to watch that tomorrow :)

Art Blade

finished watching it. Kind of sad when I watched you inspecting your somewhat empty backpack and all that stuff you had been collecting and carrying around for who knows how long and then I was imagining that it had to have been the moment you realised that you must have lost it when you died.

I found it quite annoying having to listen to the voice of that guy constantly blathering over the air, isn't there a way to shut down incoming voice chat?

Funny was at around 14.00 when night was falling to watch the temperature plummeting, it looked like a countdown of sorts :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah there's a point where I realize, ooops, I forgot to go get my grave and get my stuff back. Normally when you die, there's a grave marker where you can go retrieve what you lost. Thing is, I didn't go right there and look. I'm not even sure one showed up, because I went to the space station, then back through the portal, and then tried to go back and get the grave. Luckily I had the stream VOD to go by to find my position when I died, but there was no grave there. So either it goes away when you leave the system, or it glitched and never showed up in the first place. I didn't really lose a lot of anything valuable, mostly collectible stuff that wasn't too valuable, and my atlas passes which were easy to make again. So all in all I wasn't too upset. I just plain forgot to go check for my grave, partly my fault, and partly the game's fault as I think it should have been there when I did go back, but since it was on the community planet, it might have never appeared in the first place.

There is a way to turn off voice chat, I should really do that, but you only hear it on the community planets so I don't think of it when I'm in a normal game. But I think a lot of people just keep their microphone plugged in and don't realize it's an open mic all the time and they don't have it close enough to pick up the voice right so they all sound distant. But I'm sure some people are near the kitchen or something because it sure sounds like someone is making dinner all the time.

The temperature can change drastically on some planets, and will swing fast from hundreds of degrees above zero to hundreds below when the sun goes down. Really eats up the power in your environment protection.

I was just thinking I should make clips from the main VOD to link to instead of expecting people to find a good couple minutes in the longer stream.
D_B

Art Blade

as far as I remember, the grave stays only for a short time. I remember dying once and being in a real hurry not to be late to retrieve my stuff.

VOD=? Video On Demand, what it usually stands for, is unlikely in that context..

Dweller_Benthos

I don't know offhand how long a grave will be available. But since I left the system, it might disappear when you do that. It wasn't a big deal anyway.

Yeah, VOD is video on demand, at least that's how I've heard the saved twitch stream videos referred to, so that's what I call them. The videos page on any twitch channel has the saved videos from the streams done on that channel. Depending on your twitch status, they will be saved for a few weeks or months. You can also create clips, short bits that highlight part of the video that contains interesting action. I could create clips of the more interesting stuff so people don't have to wander through the entire video looking for the right bit.
D_B

Art Blade

that's "lotsa w0#k" and I rather watch all of it. ;)

Dweller_Benthos

haha, I'll always post the link to the full video, for anyone who wants to see all the action!
D_B

PZ

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks, sometimes it makes it easier to get across what's going on in the game, than a screenshot. But then again, a screenshot is also useful.

The latest acquisition, another S class exotic ship. Not with the fancy wings like the last one, but more gold filigree on it. It's parked at my base with my non-exotic S class fighter. As you can see, the grass on the world has changed from the vibrant green it used to be, to a bright orange. I don't mind that too much, but I kind of liked the green grass.

Compare that to the colors in this older shot

The latest update "re-wrote" the universe slightly and changed the color of the grass. I'm lucky, I guess some people had drastic changes on their home planets. At least it wasn't as drastic as some of the previous updates which radically changed all planets. That's why I don't bother giving creative names to planets anymore, as they get wiped in universe updates. It's kind of annoying, but I'd rather have new content and stuff to do over just keeping the game the same. Could they have handled that better? Sure, but it is what it is.
D_B

Art Blade

I wonder how long it will take them to get the basics done. Eventually the universe should stabilise and that's when I'd consider giving it another shot.

Dweller_Benthos

Who knows. When they add new stuff it seems there's a reset. I think the theme of the game is not to stick around a place too long, but to move on, even though there is extensive base building aspects. It would be nice if they would mark a planet as "off limits" to reset if there's a base on it. But that would mean that planet never got the new stuff in a new update.
D_B

Art Blade

maybe the whole game concept needs rethinking :anigrin:

Tags:
🡱 🡳