No Man's Sky

Started by Dweller_Benthos, March 11, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah there should be a station in that system then Art. You must've just missed it behind a planet or something.

There are four "exocraft" styles, Fragger. The motorbike style (think Batman's motorcycle in one of those movies, or in the video I posted on the cave planet a little while ago), the dune buggy style, the hover craft style that can travel across water but is slowish on land, and the lumbering giant all terrain thing that is truly enormous. And slow. But it can haul a bunch of stuff, but now that your backpack can haul a bunch of stuff you don't need it as much anymore. Mine's parked at my base and rarely leaves the pad.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

I was thinking about the station "hiding" somewhere but was too confused to find it when bumbling around in my fighter. Had to learn on the fly (erm.. pun..) how to play with mouse and keyboard which was crazy compared to what I was used to: a controller.

Dweller_Benthos

So why not use a controller to fly? Don't have it plugged in?

Oh yeah Fragger, I forgot the other exocraft, the submarine. So there's five.
D_B

Art Blade

strains my wrists/hands too much. As much as I like their advantages, controllers really aren't made for my hands. I'd need two joysticks, one in each hand, and would be fine.

Dweller_Benthos

ah right you mentioned that once. Maybe get a whole flight sim chair with a throttle and joystick set up? hehe
D_B

Art Blade

..along with a suitable mansion and all that comes with it, why not.. :anigrin:

Dweller_Benthos

Of course, that goes without saying!

Actually ran a mission last night where two other people showed up, and actually went on the mission. Though I think they didn't quite get what we were supposed to be doing, as I found the item, ancient bones, dug them up and that ends the mission. If one person succeeds, the whole team wins. So really you don't have to do anything on these and let someone else do all the w0#k. At least I think that's how it works. I've had people join missions and never leave the station, and when I finish the objective, they leave the group and I guess they get the credit for doing it too. Just human nature I guess.
D_B

Art Blade

that would be a job I'd be willing to take in real life. Join a team, let them do all the w0#k while having a snack and a drink, waiting for them to finish. Then get the same share, walk home and laugh about the system which allowed that. Although.. maybe not. It would make me feel bad. And as soon as people find out how it works, they'd all be hanging around waiting for some idiot to get the job done. Hmm.. that again sounds very much like real life.. Too much like real life. It should therefore be banned from a game. A game is supposed to be entertaining and to either make people participate or stay away. :anigrin:

PZ

That's kind of how our kids went through middle school and high school. Some idiot in the school district thought it a good idea to form groups of students in which all students would receive the same grade regardless of what they did (or did not do). Essentially if you were a good student, you would do whatever w0#k it took to get a good grade and all the losers would be laughing as they received the same grade for doing nothing but sitting around. No wonder we do not have any kind of attention to detail or job competence in many young people these days.

Dweller_Benthos

Wow, PZ, that is just plain unbelievable. I can't imagine a school system like that being even remotely successful in any case.

Ran a couple missions tonight, one got bugged so I had to abandon it, it never gave us the waypoint to land on to start the mission. We tried everything, and in this case I actually had a teammate who was participating. But it never worked so we gave up. I started a new mission and the one person never left the station so not sure what they were doing, but the other person did but I could hear over his open mic that he was a bit younger and kept telling I presume a parent, that he would be there in a minute he wanted to finish this, but he left too, so that's the nature of multiplayer, it's no different in this game than any other.

But on my way back to my freighter, it was particularly well lit with the fleet of frigates nicely visible so I nabbed a picture.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
D_B

Art Blade

PZ, that is the most bizarre story about any educational system I've ever heard. Unbelievable. ???

Excellent screenshot, D_B :)

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks.

Actually had a nice mission with someone, there was no talking or even text chat, we just went and did the mission then parted ways. I'm starting to think about going back to my base and seeing if I can tame some animals there and figure out how to ride them around.
D_B

Dweller_Benthos

Went back home to my base finally, I hadn't been there so long, the lawn grew up through the floor:

Actually, the world was reset slightly with one of the new updates, and my terrain edits went away. Not sure what to do, editing it to remove the grass means digging under each module to remove the land and the grass which is a pain, or just tear the whole thing down and build something new as there's a lot more stuff to build with now than when I built this, and it was meant mostly as a circuit board farm and I'm not doing that anymore. So a new base might be the thing I do, start out fresh.

And, while I was on a community mission, I landed on this planet with some huge tree / fern things. I've never seen them this big before.

Speaking of big, ran across this guy and his friends on a toxic planet:

You can run right under them without ducking, lol.
D_B

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Did a community mission that led to a player populated system, called a hub. Probably hundreds of bases from different players if not a thousand. The main world has the type of creature called a "diplo" in the player community as they look like a diplosaur. They were featured in one of the earliest NMS pre-release videos that got all the controversy going when no one could find anything like it on any planet. Well, eventually they did show up and on this planet, the players started building bases and it grew from there. So I landed on a random person's base and walked around looking at the giant creatures.

And if you want to watch the 12+ minute raw video, no editing, of the mission that lead to the place, here it is, or will be when it's done uploading:

The player I was with on this mission had a base on this planet which I visited later. It was a bit funny as the base didn't load in right away for me, as usual, and I landed on some empty spot that eventually was the middle of the base. The other player landed on the water that eventually became a landing pad but it looked funny to see them land on nothing for a bit. Unfortunately I didn't get video of that, but it was amusing.
D_B

Tags:
🡱 🡳