www.imgur.com/gallery/KDe4T
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

LowPolyOWG

Not sure how that would w0#k practically :huh-new:
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

mandru

Who cares about practicality when you can be the first on your block or at your next LAN party to have one?  ;)

Sorry OWGKID, I'm just having fun with you.  It wasn't really a serious suggestion.  :)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Dweller_Benthos

at $425 a gallon (according to comments there) not cheap either.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

No worries mandru ;) Could be useful for a desktop, if you run it 24/7

LowPolyOWG

Alright, my laptop plays most games at maxed out settings. However, after a Windows update that patched the Meltdown bug, booting now takes like 20-30 seconds until I can log on :banghead:

The fault is Intel, that manufactured CPUs with a severe security error. Since 1995  :banghead: :angry-new: Meltdown is hardware related and you can't patch hardware faults with software. The result of this meant up to 30% reduced performance in certain applications (server software, Java compilers and other compute related w0#k loads). Gaming performance isn't impacted. That update also caused massive slowdowns for M.2 SSDs. Now, my M.2 operates at HDD speeds during a boot :banghead:

https://meltdownattack.com

Some info. AMD isn't affected by Meltdown, but they have another problem called Spectre.

PZ

That's a shame - do you know when they will release new CPUs to fix the problem?

Art Blade

it's not that easy. The problem is about everywhere you can possibly think of, in billions of desktops, laptops, cloud-servers and mobile phones, and you can't simply replace the chips without making changes to the software (i.e. operating systems like windows and linux) that are based on the architecture that needs to be replaced. We're going to have fun with that for many years to come. The industry has been working on solutions.

On top, there's not only Meltdown. There's Spectre, too, another severe security problem. The link G gave us contains all relevant info, and one line there is alarming: "we have verified Spectre on Intel, AMD, and ARM processors."

LowPolyOWG

I wish I had bought the AMD laptop instead. Not being available early, I had to go with Intel :banghead:
Your observations are correct, MS bricked older AMD PCs (Athlon/Semprons) with the Meltdown/Spectre patch. This was due to AMD not giving MS proper documentation of the older hardware.

Intel has been hit with lawsuits over those errors.

AMD statements on this matter

LowPolyOWG

Heard a lot of squeaking from the CPU fan. Warranty had expired and Multicom didn't sold spare parts... Solution: Take the fan out, dissassemble it. Carefully apply WD-40 to bearings. Reassemble the fan, mount it back into the PC. Problem solved  :anigrin:

Google managed to fix the performance loss from Spectre/Meltdown. Their fix is called Retpoline and the performance hit is now 1-2%. MS also reworked the Windows kernel along with integrating Retpoline. Need to wait to April 2019 though.  :banghead:

Dweller_Benthos

How's that saying go? If it moves and shouldn't use duct tape, if it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.

Though WD-40 is technically a penetrating fluid, not a lubricant, but everyone uses it like a lubricant. A refined oil is good, or even better, the stuff jewelers use on watches, used to be made from whale oil, but nowadays is refined petroleum or something synthetic I guess.
D_B

nex

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on October 27, 2018, 01:39:00 PM
How's that saying go? If it moves and shouldn't use duct tape, if it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
Someone using my signature   :anigrin:
Q20 is the same as WD-40
Respect is earned, not given.

LowPolyOWG

Dweller_Benthos

@nex, yep, that's pretty much it, I think every locality has something similar with the local brand names inserted.

In caveman times I'm sure it was pine pitch and spit.
D_B

nex

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on October 29, 2018, 07:53:27 AM
In caveman times I'm sure it was pine pitch and spit.
:laughsm:
Pretty much my farther in law's way 
Respect is earned, not given.

Tags:
🡱 🡳