It might actually happen!

Started by Dweller_Benthos, May 01, 2017, 08:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks guys! I just spent the morning waiting for the cable guy to show up and complete the installation they were supposed to do Saturday but didn't because the home office screwed up the w0#k order and didn't include the second cable box I wanted. The guy said half his calls are to fix something that was wrong on an initial install, and doesn't know why they keep doing that and can't let them change an order on the fly. But anyway, it's all hooked up now and I have TV in two rooms and can finally watch a show and not worry about if someone else is watching something. But the internet speed is what it was all about really. I actually watched a couple videos on youtube without worrying about using up my download limit. That is a thing of the past, and good riddance.

Too bad PZ, that you can't get them to run wire to you, they might do it, but it would be costly, depending on the run length, we're talking thousands just to get the wire to you, if they are willing to at all, as even after they install it, they still have to think of maintenance costs on a run that long to just one customer. But I understand the desire to want some decent privacy and will take some inconvenience as a balance. I'm just glad they finally wired my area.

The cable system was never meant to transmit data both ways at speed. It was always meant to just have a fast download to get you all those TV channels at one time. Uploads wasn't considered until they added internet and the limits of the system itself blocked any high speed two-way signal. Fiber is different as it doesn't care which way the signal is going and was pretty much designed from the ground up for transmitting data both ways. There are new cable standards that allow faster uploads, but they require new equipment on the cable company end which isn't cheap I don't expect so that limits how fast and how much they will get upgrades to the uploads.

And I bought a microphone, so you guys can hear my wondrous voice in the future. I got a mod mic 5 from Antlion which attaches to pretty much any headset, so I can still use my headphones that I'm comfortable with and be able to talk as well.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on May 21, 2018, 08:17:07 AM
And I bought a microphone, so you guys can hear my wondrous voice in the future. I got a mod mic 5 from Antlion which attaches to pretty much any headset, so I can still use my headphones that I'm comfortable with and be able to talk as well.

Nice! O0
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

PZ

Although envious, I'm really happy for you, D_B!  :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks. Now I just need to get time to actually do something.
D_B

BinnZ

:laughsm:

There's always something :bigsmile:

Nice that you got everything sorted now D_B! O0
"No hay luz"

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks Binn!

Now I just need them to come back and bury the cable they left strewn across the yard. Apparently the "underground crew" works on a different schedule.
D_B

PZ

:D  You sure Ubisoft is not your provider?  :-X

Art Blade

LowPolyOWG

Quote from: PZ on May 24, 2018, 09:52:05 AM
:D  You sure Ubisoft is not your provider?  :-X

If it was Ubisoft, I would expect the internet to not w0#k at all, as soon D_B plugged in the cable :-X :laughsm: Not sure what game company that could fit that... Anyway, I remember it was the same thing with our fibre connection. The cable was connected, then dug into the street, which was paved on a later date.
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

it was easy here. After WWII, it was all rubble. They put the cables into the earth, paved it and that's that. We haven't got cables above ground except for rail traffic and some huge power lines coming from power plants (you can't just plough through fields and forests) but those are exceptions. In our cities and towns, usually you won't see any cables.

nex

Congrats D_B  O0   
I can consider myself fortunate if my fiber line gives me 10% of your download speed
When I first got ADSL in 2008 my download speed was around 30,
the more people switched to ADSL the slower my download speed became.
Shortly before I switched to fiber my download speed was so bad we couldn't
serve the Internet with two pc's simultaneously
I had to log off from the Internet so mrs nex could download emails to her laptop   :angry-new:
Respect is earned, not given.

Dweller_Benthos

Thanks nex! Strange you have fiber but not the greatest speed? Or did I read that wrong? I was under the impression fiber was all hot and fast.

A bit of an update, I suppose. The "underground crew" was one guy and a special shovel that could somehow dig a small trench and bury the wire at the same time. At least on the lawn, the driveway he had to use a small machine. I wasn't home so I don't know exactly how it worked, but the wire is out of sight now. Then I spent last Saturday tearing down and dismantling the old satellite dish and cell phone antenna that I had used for TV and internet. So I was either up on the roof or in the crawlspace under the house pulling out old wires. But it's done now and I can relax and upload twitch streams anytime I want, lol.
D_B

nex

It's supposed to be D_B, but our Main supplier Telkom is government controlled and they have the infrastructure and the
monopoly from phone lines to Satellite.
Sure there are other suppliers, but they don't have anything so they have to use Telkom infrastructure
It starts on what is supposed to be 10 Mbps but in real you only get somewhere between 9 and 10.
We can go higher but at a PRICE. My phone/internet bundle sets me back between 2000 and 3000 ZAR monthly.
You must remember, this is South Africa. I don't think there is one official in our government that's not corrupt,
from right at the top all the way down to the cleaning lady.   :-X
The government officials sign millions of Dollar contracts with overseas companies for top grade materials
but receive inferior quality material and they openly
stuff their pockets full of the kickbacks, from thousands of Dollars to flashy cars

Respect is earned, not given.

PZ

In the meantime my Internet is going to become worse with time. Line of sight is what my wireless relies on, and the trees grow a bit taller each year, meaning that my connection becomes slower with time. I hardly watch videos these days because I do not have the patience to suffer the countless buffer times, which greatly outweigh the watch time.

Tags:
🡱 🡳