It might actually happen!

Started by Dweller_Benthos, May 01, 2017, 08:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

yes, most people will be content with up to 20Mbit/s and only the hard core internet users will try to get or already have access to faster internet connections, among which there are obviously hard core gamers but also people who consume streamed content such as "movie on demand" services.

fragger

I just ran a speed test and it reported about 20 mbps download. Mind you, it's a peak period, just before 6:00pm on a Sunday, and I am out in the sticks. Still way better than the 30 kbps (yep, that's KAY bee pee ess) that I use to get with my old provider, and that was on a good day.

Where is the site you guys used to get your results? I Googled Ookla and found a speed test, but I don't get the same results box that you guys are showing. I'd be kind of interested to see how my access stacks up against the rest of Oz.

LowPolyOWG

It is speedtest by Ookla. To share the result, press this icon.

Spoiler
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"AAA games is a job, except you're the one paying for it" -Jim Sterling

"Graphics don't matter, it's all about visibility"

Art Blade

I found out by tracing back G's pic. It's coming straight from Ookla. I removed the rest of the URL so I got the base and that's how I had the address. The result popped up and the rest, see spoiler above. :)

LowPolyOWG

I also picked the "image" link and used OWG's image function :)

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

My current 4G connection gets about 2.5mbps, which is 10X better than the 3G connection I've been using the last 6 years.

I should be getting a 60mbps connection with the cable when it arrives, upload a bit slower.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

good luck with that, I really hope you'll get it very soon :thumbsup:

Dweller_Benthos

There were trucks up the road yesterday (yeah they w0#k on Sunday, go figure) working back one of the side roads. There are two lakes up there with a lot of houses around then that used to be summer camps. A lot have been converted over to year-round homes now, but there are a ton of little roads all over around those lakes, so it might take them a while to finish up there before they get down to me. But, if they are working weekends, maybe not so long either.
D_B

PZ

A few years ago I was delighted to see that the cable people were just down the hill from my place, and I knew that the places above me already had cable. I thought my slow Internet was going to be a thing of the past.

The problem for me: they were willing to do the dense clusters of homes above and below my place, but because I am the only property between, I'll likely never get a connection.  :banghead:

LowPolyOWG

Art Blade

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, I hear you, PZ, I felt the same way. About 20 years ago, they wired up to the town line.... about 300 feet down the road from me. Apparently that town made a deal with the cable co. to wire most of the town, and they did and stopped at the town line. The new push is one of the conditions to the merger between Charter and Time Warner, our politicians finally did something right and made it so that they had to wire up a certain number of unserved locations in order for the merger to be approved. Of course, it's taken them 3 or 4 years to finally get around to doing that, but for once my elected officials did something that I care about.
D_B

PZ

I can only hope for that D_B, but I'm definitely not holding my breath.

Tags:
🡱 🡳