Travelling: by Bus or...?

Started by Art Blade, May 29, 2009, 05:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

speaking of tweaked right, today I updated my vid driver, again, to nvidia v185.85 and again it was laggy in single player. Now, after three installations (and two uninstallations) I am back to v181.22 -- no lags. They don't make things like they used to, do they  ;D ;D ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

retiredgord

King Rat let us know how you're liking Merc 2.  I've played thru it once and may start back after this second playthru in FC2.
The sun is over the yardarm somewhere in the world..time for a beer :)  :)

Art Blade

Quote from: KingRat on May 31, 2009, 08:12:54 PMSeemed that walking was almost as fast as driving although I never thought to time it.

Have you ever tried to run over a merc? Hmm... funny way of saying it, "run" over, suggesting "to walk quickly" LOL... I mean, have you ever used a car and smacked into a walking  merc? It works. It works, because a driver is faster than a walker  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

KingRat

Quote from: retiredgord on May 31, 2009, 08:21:49 PM
King Rat let us know how you're liking Merc 2.  I've played thru it once and may start back after this second playthru in FC2.

Will do.....I just need to get past the 3rd person look. Should be able to since Max Payne 1&2 were a couple of my favs... :)

retiredgord

Yeah take it from me.  Now I find it very satisfying when I hear/feel the thump and bang of a merc under my vehicle's wheels.  I'm getting like some of my colleagues here and save ammo by using the motor vehicle mayhem method.

Ricamundo

Quote from: KingRat on May 31, 2009, 08:42:07 PM
Quote from: retiredgord on May 31, 2009, 08:21:49 PM

Will do.....I just need to get past the 3rd person look. Should be able to since Max Payne 1&2 were a couple of my favs... :)

That's the stumbling block for me. I cant stand 3rd person, so even tho i saw Mercenaries 2 for the PC in Future Shop for $10, i'll have to take a pass.
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

retiredgord

I like first person too but all that carnage and you get paid to do it.  I amassed about $107 mill in Mercs, the first and did quite well, about 3 times that in Mercs 2.  I loved the hijacking of the choppers, tanks, boats, cars and anything else that could move. You can pay for airsstrikes against a hard target and there's opportunity for scads of sniping with anything.  What fun, what mayhem.

Art Blade

sorry to break up that conversation, but I think this is interesting for those who ask "bus or...?" :)

(you can use the bus and/or a car, and/or walk. And still keep your car  ;) )

Art Blade

hey, I revived this topic  :)

The reason for it are my latest experiences in "Operation Flashpoint 2, Dragon Rising." There you basically cannot afford to drive much, the engine noise will attract rockets that kill at once and soldiers that attack with deadly force. So you are better off if you stay away from roads and move around crouched. During the campaign I walked for say 8 hours and covered a distance of like 50km total. That made me think of FC2, how lazy I was, driving most of the time. I think the experience in OPF:DR was good for a decision in favour of walking, rather than taking a bus or driving. I think I'll try that, and because we can sneak in FC2, the game should be pretty interesting on foot :)

PZ

I love careening along the dirt roads through the FC2 world with a Datsun dummy hot on my trail, or perhaps an AT in which there is only a driver.  The ensuing chaos is always entertaining  ;D

I'll keep your advice in mind regarding OFP2 - my first inclination is to steal the first vehicle I come to just like in FC2!

fragger

I recently finished a game where I was determined to make no bus trips at all. Man, it really made for a more interesting game! It allowed me to get better acquainted with the lay of the FC2 landscape, which in turn influenced my decisions such as which loadout I should equip myself with per journey, whether to sneak around certain GPs or engage them, find ways to avoid patrols, and so on. I think it increased the immersion value as well, as it felt more like it was one big seamless adventure.
I also found heaps of paths, passes and landscape features that I never discovered before. It's the way I'm going to go from now on.

PZ

Although I haven't done what you have written about yet, I have done much walking in order to keep my vehicle.  Like you, the number of foot paths and other "hidden" ways to get through the FC2 world.

KingRat

On my first run through on the 360 I actually found I was in no rush, and rather enjoyed trekking  ;D My stats from that> walked 414km, drove 342km and swam 5km.

Started using the transport more when I started playing on the PC, but stats still favor trekking>307...200...6

:)

Dweller_Benthos

Quote from: PZ on October 21, 2009, 11:16:25 AM
Although I haven't done what you have written about yet, I have done much walking in order to keep my vehicle.  Like you, the number of foot paths and other "hidden" ways to get through the FC2 world.

I wish there was a way I could map all the forest trails, but there's no way to do it easily or accurately. Let's just say there are quite a few of them.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

Roaven

Time has a funny way of passing sometimes in FC2. I slept in a safehouse while a tree nearby was on fire(riverside safehouse in the north). Not only did the tree burn for a full 24 hours, but I also got to see the boat patrol spawn.

fragger

I think I may have mentioned it once before, but there's a funny log outside the safe house near the far NE corner of Bowa that regularly catches fire at night. It's right next to the fireplace there. I've arrived there at dusk just when the fireplace starts up, watched the log catch alight, burn for a few moments, then go out. Then I've slept in the safe house for a few hours and emerged to watch the log catch alight and burn all over again. It does this every time, even when the wind is clearly blowing the other way.
Maybe it's related to the biblical "burning bush". If so, it never has anything prophetic to tell me. I must not be worthy ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳