Tip: Firefox 3.6, enable Tabs preview

Started by Art Blade, February 06, 2010, 06:21:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

The new 3.6 is out and it has a feature that resembles Vista's preview function of taskbar items. Scrolling through your tabs, using CTRL+tab (forward) or CTRL+shift+tab (reverse), you will get to see thumbnails of the Tabs if you alter the browser's config:

To activate, enter the address field (where you'd enter a URL) and type in

about:config and hit enter. Accept the warning, and you'll see the config. Now, in the search field, type tab to reduce the available config lines. Quite on top you should see

browser.allTabs.previews change (toggle) from false to true
browser.ctrlTab.previews change (toggle) from false to true

close tab. Now, if you've got at least three tabs active, you can use ctrl+tab and now the preview will be available.

Enjoy :)

Edited, thanks deadman ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

deadman1

Thanks for the tip Art, I didn´t even know there was a new version of FF out. :-X  I would like to add though that this only works if you have atleast 3 tabs open, I just tried with only 2 tabs and all that happend was that FF just flipped between the tabs.

Art Blade

ah, I see, thanks  :-X :) Usually I have 3 or more tabs open, so I didn't test with less  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Cool - going to download the new version now - FF is the only browser I feel safe using for general browsing.

PZ

Downloaded and installed FF v3.6 and it has an interesting new way to do themes - called a persona - you can preview the theme simply by holding the cursor over the thumbnail.  Naturally I looked for a gaming theme and found at least a half dozen for Assassin's Creed 2.

Something amusing - my wife asked me to update FF on her office computer, which I happily did - guess what theme I gave her?  ;D

RedRaven

sounds interesting, FF was always my browser of choice over IE until Chrome came out, but its always good to have a change every now and then :)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Quote from: PZ on February 10, 2010, 09:45:26 AM
guess what theme I gave her?  ;D

"Happy Wife's Cooking & Housekeeping" ?

;D ;D ;D

I too played around with those persona and themes. While persona don't use up too much resources, I found a theme "NASA Night Launch" and edited the .css files for background images etc, which resulted in a stuttering FC2. Removed the theme, and FC2 was smooth again.

PZ

hahaha, you're a funny guy!  ;)

I formerly used Nasa Night Launch as well and liked it quite a bit.  I'm just playing with new themes now but only the dark ones - match OWG colors quite well  :-X

Art Blade

:)

I've reverted to vanilla FF, yet I changed my windows' colour scheme. Black borders and background, orange highlights and letters... matches perfectly, doesn't use resources.  ;)

PZ

I just got around to implementing this tip - I typically have too many tabs open.  Right now, I'm using 17 tabs and with a click of the button I can see a preview of all 17 simultaneously.

Thanks for a great tip  :-X

Art Blade

The only issue that comes with that colour scheme is: Some applications (calc.exe) use black letters. They obviously are invisible on black 3D buttons, so I needed to get rid of "all black" :( :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳