A must have for all consoleplayers

Started by deadman1, February 06, 2010, 06:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

Quote from: spaceboy on February 09, 2010, 06:48:21 AM
Quote from: RedRaven on February 09, 2010, 06:21:23 AM
The tech exists to do it, you can get those flexible keyboards that roll up like a newspaper. It would just be a case of getting the appropriate controls stitched into a t-shirt. And PS3 has wireless controllers too so it cant be that difficult to make a t-shirt controller.

sure, that's the easy part, the hard part is getting the girl to wear it  ;)

And to let us all play too... ::)
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

Indeed, JRD. Wearing is not a problem.

I could go to a monastery and have all nuns wear it for some higher purpose, but I reckon they'd dig out the inquisition tools and start collecting wood for the stake the moment someone tries to push the right buttons...  ;)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

spaceboy

hah you never know Art, they may feel they've been deprived too long!

Ok, anyone else thinking of really beautiful nuns right now?  :-[

Oh Lord, please forgive me...
http://mygamepages.com  forums and member created pages

RedRaven

Could always get an inflatable one but it just wouldn't feel right.
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Art Blade

Red: ;D

space, I assume you were thinking they'd perpare all that for the one pushing the right buttons. I thought they'd prepare all that for the ones who kept telling them lies about those buttons.  ;D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Lol you guys! ;D ;D ;D

Careful, space - thinking impure thoughts about nuns can be a bad habit to get into ;D

spaceboy

Quote from: fragger on February 09, 2010, 05:21:08 PM
Careful, space - thinking impure thoughts about nuns can be a bad habit to get into ;D

haha - great one fragger!

mandru

Otaku, a Japanese term used to refer to people with obsessive interests, particularly anime, manga, and video games.

For the part of me that's a borderline Otaku that controller just makes me want to shriek "It's a trap!" and run away very fast.

The part of me that's not an Otaku makes the observation "Some dumb Otaku was so excited about seeing a new video game controller that he didn't even notice a girl was wearing it.

The part of me that's a photographer is shrieking "Crappy shot composition! They left out her face so we can't tell if his controller input is tracking properly"

There's a couple other parts of me but I'm not going into detail about what they are saying.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

spaceboy

I think I'm part Otaku myself Mandru  :-[

all in all they look pretty nice, I wonder though if it comes with the rumble feature I have in my DualShock's  - come to think if it, talk about a Dual Shock!

PZ

Of course, washing that kind of shirt (with embedded electronics) would pose a significant problem.  ;D

RedRaven

Hand wash only ;)

couldn't resist, sorry.
Here is one of the keyboards already on the market that I was thinking of. It is water, dust acid and alkaline proof and washable. The pic below shows a wireless one, and its only $30-$40.

[smg id=1972]

A few years back there was talk of using similar principles to make portable monitor screens using OLED (organic light emitting diode) technology but not sure if they ever got past the concept phase.

It wont be long before that kind of technology is incorporated into clothing.The potential applications for Military or even Deep Sea or Space research, or indeed any type of field w@&k in different environments where it is not possible to set up a more traditional w@&k area/lab could be massive. And judging by the way mobile phone's are considered 'fashionable'  by some it's only a matter of time until the back of a jacket or t-shirt become a monitor (hell, advertising companies would love it).

Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

mandru

Quote from: RedRaven on February 10, 2010, 10:22:58 AM

A few years back there was talk of using similar principles to make portable monitor screens using OLED (organic light emitting diode) technology but not sure if they ever got past the concept phase.

It wont be long before that kind of technology is incorporated into clothing.

I already dodge product branding on any clothing. Not only are the manufacturers not paying me to advertise for them, they're bumping the cost higher because of their stupid iconic logos. This tech embedding a branded loop of advertising into clothing is a nightmare!

On the other hand it might be fun to have a tropical themed shirt of a living coral reef with personable fish that react to movement around you or maybe a bamboo forest with a happy Chinese luck dragon flitting in and out of view and trying to get other peoples attention or playing fetch and other games with the wearer.

There's always a bright side and a dark side to any new tech that comes along. It's the nature of the beast.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

nice ideas there about your shirts, mandru  :-X

RedRaven

You could set it to play a moment of victorious carnage from a game, that would give the busy-bodies in the supermarket or park to chirp on about.
Or how about mounting button hole cameras in it so when people are looking at you they see themselves looking back. That would be amusing.

JRD

Quote from: RedRaven on February 10, 2010, 11:00:28 AM
You could set it to play a moment of victorious carnage from a game, that would give the busy-bodies in the supermarket or park to chirp on about.
Or how about mounting button hole cameras in it so when people are looking at you they see themselves looking back. That would be amusing.
If you can do that, then have a camera filming what`s behind you and projecting it in front of your suit and a camera filming whats ahead of you and projecting it in your back... do the same sideways and imagine a suit that covers you all, from head to toes...
... TAAADAAAA... you`re invisible  ;)

Art Blade

JRD, your idea already has been tested and there is a prototype out which does almost exactly that. Designed for military stealth operations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible#Practical_efforts

Although not mentioned in wiki, I remember an article in a science magazine.

JRD

Quote from: Art Blade on February 10, 2010, 11:16:49 AM
JRD, your idea already has been tested and there is a prototype out which does almost exactly that. Designed for military stealth operations.

The problem is where they decided to shove the batteries needed to power up that thing... soldiers ain`t happy with that!!  :P ::) ???
Sorry... couldn`t resist

Art Blade

yeah, I didn't say it was in use, I said prototype. In fact, it proved useless  ;D They had cameras in the surrounding area, the pictures projected onto the suit. That's what got close to being cool  :)

RedRaven

The idea was in a James Bond film too, built into his car, while in theory it would w@&k the camera's would need to be better and faster than the human eye & brain. All it would take to notice something odd is turning your head so your perspective changes, even if it is only by a tiny amount the camera's would not be able to anticipate it and process the new image quick enough.
Its a cool scifi idea though, just way way beyond our current tech levels.

fragger

Give 'em time...

I remember reading a National Geo article about "chamaeleon clothes" quite some time ago, but as Art said, they've yet to really make it w@&k. Maybe just as well... I find the idea - in the wrong hands - pretty disquietening.

Art Blade

Fragger, that is inspiring:

If, for reasons unknown
You think you're on your own
Yet your bed seems too tight
When you're in it at night
It may be you're not alone.

;D

fragger

Good one there, Art :-X :-X

Was that your own composition?

Art Blade

cheers, and yes. just scribbled it down in a minute, seemed to be already in my head :)

mmosu

Art, I saw a TV special on the Discovery channel about a year ago about another one of those "invisibility cloaks".  It was developed by a Japanese scientist and it worked much like what you described earlier, but the effect only occured if the wearer was still and was being viewed through a special camera lense.  The effect was impressive none the less.  Another lab has actually built a "cloaking device" that, when small objects are placed inside it, they become invisible to microwave detectors.  The researchers seemed confident that they would eventually be able to extrapolate the principle to the visible light spectrum and make objects invisible to the naked eye.  Scary stuff!

Art Blade

To me it's not scary by itself. I like the idea :) But I agree, it will be scary if stuff like that ever gets into the wrong hands.

Tags:
🡱 🡳