A must have for all consoleplayers

Started by deadman1, February 06, 2010, 06:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmosu

No, you're right, there certainly are many civilain applications to that kind of tech as well.  One I like given my background is surgical gloves - if you had gloves made out of a "stealth camo" material, then in tight spaces where your hands would ordinarily block the view of what you're working on, you could switch them on and suddenly have an unrestricted view of the operating field.  The same principles could be applied to instruments. 

Art Blade

That is a very interesting thought  :-X I thought of foto safaris, like those docus when you see animals in their original environment... would be cool to be invisible when filming/photographing/studying wildlife. :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

I've seen a head set designed for surgeons that can provide a HUD of a patient's vital information and also has the ability to provide a composite view of the patient as they are on the operating table and CAT scans or MRIs that have recently been taken of the patient so the Surgeon can view their patient internally before they even start the operation.

I saw Logan's Run... Robot surgeons still scare me. :o
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

mmosu

They are already doing heart and other surgeries using robots at the medical center where our clinic is located.  A surgeon is sitting right next to it controlling it by remote of course.  The advantage is that the robot's hands can duplicate virtually any movement that the surgeon's hand can do, but they are tiny by comparison, and so the procedure can be done much less invasively through a much smaller incision than would be possible if the surgeon used their own hands directly.  The robots "eyes" (which amount to binocular cameras mounted in a way that they can replicate human depth perception) are also inserted into the patient so that the operating field can be visualized directly.  It's pretty cool stuff, soon it will be routine for world-renown experts in a given procedure to be able to perform that procedure on patients all over the world in the same day without ever leaving their home hospital.   

JRD

... until the day you hear a dreadful sound from the machine and read:

This application encountered an error and has to abort. Would you like windows to follow the error with you?
Send error report
Don't send

:D

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Art Blade

;D

Or human failure...

- WA-CHOOoo!
- Jesus man, now that patient's got a gash like no other I've seen in my life, ever!
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Tags:
🡱 🡳