I'll never buy another PC game.

Started by Fiach, May 23, 2011, 02:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandru

Quote from: fragger on May 28, 2011, 03:34:42 PM
... availability of PC games, that doesn't appear to be an issue in this country.

:-D

Yet another good reason to add to my long list of things I'd like to go to Australia for.   :-X

Just a few years back we had a 3 or 4 huge CompUSA stores (it was a national chain) within a 20 minute drive of us that were my go to resource for do-it-yourself techie setup.  I even was able to get the right powered adapter box that allowed me to pull the old hard drive out of a previous desktop computer that had died of mother board overheating problems and rehouse it as a USB Drive so that I could recover my information from it and even turn it into additional remote data storage.

The push for businesses to get switched over to Online shopping has now closed almost every brick and mortar tech store within a days drive.

There are certain things I want to pick up and hold in my hands so I can read the descriptions (promo copy for games) and compare with similar items to make it possible for me pick the right one for my needs.  I want to turn to a sales associate and say "Tell me about this" or "Where do I find what I need to do this?"

I also want to watch the fine lines at the corner of the eyes of a sales clerk for signs of lies when I ask a pointed question about a product or even "You're sure this is what I need?"

I can't do any of that online.   :-(   
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Fiach

Quote from: mandru  on May 28, 2011, 07:26:22 PM
I also want to watch the fine lines at the corner of the eyes of a sales clerk for signs of lies when I ask a pointed question about a product or even "You're sure this is what I need?"

Have you been playing too much LA Noire lately mate?

*Watches for the tell's*   :-\
WITH A GUN FOR A LOVER AND A SHOT FOR THE PAIN.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

mandru

I'd not heard of LA Noire until you mentioned it Fiach.  Probably because the CompUSA stores I mentioned above where I could actually browse the shelves and familiarize myself with the games that are available closed up about 4 years too soon for me to be aware of.

I had to jump over to the thread you started about LA Noire and read up on it to familiarize myself with it.  A cop game can be good but in the good cop/bad cop scenario I definitely want to play the bad cop.   >:D
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

Maybe BRINK would suit you then, mandru  >:D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

Quote from: mandru  on May 29, 2011, 06:42:17 AM
  A cop game can be good but in the good cop/bad cop scenario I definitely want to play the bad cop.   >:D

Then you should play Condemned :)

Fiach

Quote from: Art Blade on May 29, 2011, 07:34:57 AM
Maybe BRINK would suit you then, mandru  >:D

Whats Brink Single Player like Art? I heard it was really just a MP game, but there was a SP campaign too..

Art Blade

would you like me to try to sum up the entire topic or would you prefer to read about it right there?  :-()
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Fiach

LOL well, twelve pages of people discussing a MP game, was kind of a challenge for me to wade through as I dont play MP games, but this post I found halfway through, answered my question pretty well :)

Quote from: Art Blade on May 22, 2011, 11:51:14 AM
Alright, today I played my first MP game.

Two maps (missions), I chose "same rank" as opposed to "same or higher ranks" for human team players.

The game was somehow different. Everyone ran away and disappeared god knows where while I was still wondering which objective to care about.

Looks like human teams tend to stick together, that's why the maps appeared to be so empty.. the team players of both teams were all packed together and when killed, respawning just so they could run back to the pack.

Some of them actually buffed me (using their special class abilities to boost team mates) and I kept buffing whomever I had in easy reach. Only when it comes to medics and their ability to revive team mates.. that left something to desire. Most of the times I had to respawn because no one cared about me or anyone else lying on the floor, except twice when I got a syringe thrown at me so I could revive myself.

All in all, the "fake" MP experience (the SP or solo mode) is better because then your team mates both spread out to take care of various objectives and they care about their team mates. The AI was more supportive and decisive than the human teams I just witnessed.

Reminds me of fire teams. I think a game like this, 2 x 8 players, is difficult to handle if you want to be really good and economical/effective about it. Probably fire teams of two or three could take care of one mission goal at the time and then proceed. Probably three because one medic should be nice, protect him, he revives you, and the two remaining guys have to be one or both of the class needed for the current goal (can change the class at any time at a command post) or one of that class and a soldier for protection.

When I was playing MP, no one had been using a headset.. so I reckon that was just a random game of morons and inexperienced players, just like me, but I mean no one  used a headset...  ????

Think Ill pick this up in a week or so, cheers :)

Art Blade

:-() I'm usually no MP guy either, apart from teaming up with Binnatics, but this game is somewhat addictive and apparently real MP is way more supportive than any other MP FPS I've seen so far (maybe Counterstrike was like that but I never liked it.. too realistic) given that by now there are quite a lot of players with experience (who have learned that team play is necessary to survive this game).

However, I just read that BRINK has an issue with STEAM UK. Everyone else is playing but the UK. So far, no fix yet.

Tags:
🡱 🡳