FC3 vs current DirectX compatability?

Started by mandru, August 02, 2011, 03:33:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

PZ, out of all current nVidia vid cards, the 560Ti features the best mix of everything: Power consumption, game performance and price.

The other (higher ranking) cards consume a lot more power (require a new PU) and produce a lot more heat and as a side effect produce quite some noise due to the radiators needed/built in; their performance is either just marginally better or comes at too high a price (plus the aforementioned).

In other words, currently the best card to fit into our old rigs  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

nexor

Art, I see there is also a nVidia GeForce  GTX 560 Ti Hawk PCI-Express x16 2.0, GDDR5, 1GB, 256-Bit, GPU:950 / Mem:4200MHz ,DVI x2, Mini HDMI x1, DirectX 11

Art Blade

The "Ti" (Titanium) usually makes nVidia cards that bear that appendix stand out, so whatever Ti there is, should be good  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Quote from: RedRaven on August 09, 2011, 07:56:59 PM
...along with replacing the two 2GB sticks of RAM currently installed with two 4GB sticks and a larger monitor too. :)

I just found out a nasty thing when I bought 4Gb extra mem. (2X2Gb). The problem was that my current 2X2Gb is working on a voltage of 1.9v, while all newer models use less. The shop adviced me to take a pair of memunits that consumes 1.65v and that caused my system not to start. I was playing with the idea to chenge them for 2X4gb or 4X2gb, and leave my current ones behind, but I decided to look around for the true advantage it would give me.
I found out that some ppl were testing DDR2 RAM and especially the differences between 4gb total or 8gb total. They found out, after intense testing, that it would give any benefits worth mentioning in speed or quality, especially not in games. They tested on Vista.
I figured that would be the same somehow for the DDR3 mem. Why spend a load of money (around 80 euros) for 8Gb of memory, while I have a perfect running system?

I decided not to upgrade to 8Gb. It's not necessary. Not now anyway  ;)

Talking about DDR5, I don't know what the benefits would be. I have the HD5870 which has 2Gb of DDR5 memory. Ati uses DDR5 mem. quite a while allready on their high end cards. It seems that you guys are all a bit Nvidia oriented.
I'm a fan of Ati since they seem to make good cards for a reasonable price. They even were ahead of Nvidia with their HD5*** and HD6*** series. Now Nvidia seems to take the lead in high end systems but if you look at the prices.... I would go for Ati again. Accept when you want to experience 3D gaming. Than Nvidia is the only option.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

RedRaven

My motherboard only has the two slots for RAM and it came with 2 x 2gig sticks of unknown make, in the past 2 rigs have only used near enough top of the range Corsair or Kingston sticks as I've never had any problems with that brand, and have never heard bad reports about them. It was whilst looking around for a decent yet cheap GPU that I noticed just how cheap Ram has become over the past few years. For around £40-£50 can pick up 2 x 4gig sticks which is not that bad.

Though its not a priority as with 4gig I can set the virtual memory on either hard drive to 6gig for a whopping 10gig in total, if I do go up to 8gig Ram the virtual memory can be set to 12gig making 20gig in total which is crazy! I doubt the games and software I use would need anywhere near that much. Along with the 1gig on the graphics card things are running well as they are.

The GT520 I have now is nVidia's basic budget card in the 500 series. Whilst browsing around today I noticed the top end nVidia card that came out in march. GTX590 with 3gig on-board ram!!! Though I'm sure its going to be good at around £590 / $750 its a very costly toy. If I had that much to spend on tech would prefer to pay quarter the cost and get the GTX560 same as Art's card. There would be enough left over to build another PC or get a laptop or even a small 2nd hand car! Or really go nuts and get a 3D projector and 7 foot screen ;)
Fehu, Uruz, Thurisaz, Ansuz, Raido, Kenaz, Gebo, Wunjo, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, Isa, Jera, Eithwaz, Perth, Algiz, Sowilo, Tiwaz, Berkano, Ehwaz, Mannaz, Laguz, Ingwaz, Othila.

Binnatics

Quote from: RedRaven on August 10, 2011, 01:41:17 PM
...or even a small 2nd hand car! Or really go nuts and get a 3D projector and 7 foot screen ;)
drool, dribble, drool, that might just be a good idea   8)
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

PZ

Quote from: Art Blade on August 10, 2011, 03:21:06 AM
PZ, out of all current nVidia vid cards, the 560Ti features the best mix of everything: Power consumption, game performance and price.

The other (higher ranking) cards consume a lot more power (require a new PU) and produce a lot more heat and as a side effect produce quite some noise due to the radiators needed/built in; their performance is either just marginally better or comes at too high a price (plus the aforementioned).

In other words, currently the best card to fit into our old rigs  :)

Sounds like a good compromise!  Thanks for the info.  ;)

Art Blade

That indeed it is, a good compromise. If you aim for more, just do it  :-D Welcome, PZ :)

Tags:
🡱 🡳