Teleportation of info over 97 km

Started by Binnatics, May 16, 2012, 10:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Binnatics

Chinese scientists have broken the record of info-teleportation. They managed to get a distance of 97 km between two, immediately to each other responding fotons. The fotons are so called 'entangled' to each other, and then seperated over a distance. Then, when someone influences foton A, the same influence will pass with foton B, no matter how large the distance (well, at least over 97 km)

Some true scientific explanation can be found here:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21811-teleportation-record-heralds-secure-global-network.html

So far they are thinking of using it to encrypt - decrypt messages and thus be able to give access to locked data from a distance, without any possible interference. I don't get the exact theory, but imagine the possibilities :o :-X
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

Entanglement was the principal behind teleporting in the HalfLife series that started all the problems.  ;)
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Binnatics

Then, maybe there WILL be cake... after all ????
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

mandru

- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I learned of that "teleportation" quite some time ago when reading about quantum computers and how to encrypt data. It will be a whole new era once they manage to pull it off, a working full scale quantum computer. Currently "full scale" means the size of a lab  :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Well, a few decades ago, a PC had the size of a full lab; now it fits in your back pocket :-()

PZ

Even my old Heathkit was a marvel of technology compared to the old tube-style computers.  :-()

fragger

:-D

I like the line of dialogue early in the movie Apollo 13 when Tom Hanks' character (Jim Lovell) is showing a bunch of VIPs around the Vertical Assembly Building at the Cape and he remarks on some of the revolutionary technological advances they're working on, such as "a computer that can fit inside a single room" :-()

It seems that we're reaching the stage where technologies become obsolete before they even get a chance to be implemented. I remember reading about holographic storage about ten years ago or so, when it was claimed that a transparent cube the size of a golf ball box would be able to hold about a dozen terabytes of data. This technology was apparently moved to a backburner when they began to make inroads into the possibilities of molecular storage. Now that seems to be on hold while they experiment with data systems based on subatomic particles... before long they'll start trying to figure out how to manipulate the quantum foam for data purposes and the current subatomic particle systems will join the holographic and molecular ones in the back of the unfinished projects drawer.

You wonder where it's all going to end - or if they'll ever get around to realizing a new level of data technology before they start theorizing about the next one :-\\

Well... as long as I can still game and muck around with my 3D programs, I don't really mind what they come up with ;D

Tags:
🡱 🡳