SSD

Started by PZ, November 28, 2012, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

The hard drive in my Fujitsu slate failed about a week ago, and I took the machine to the help desk for a replacement.  I was thinking SSD, and they got me one.  I received the PC back today with a fresh 240 gb SSD, and naturally I immediately fired it up.  W7 started remarkably fast, and there is not a sound that comes on unless I'm doing lots of processing and the CPU fan starts.

The drive is blazingly fast, completely silent and does not generate heat.

While still more expensive than a standard drive, the 2.5 inch Kingston drive cost me $179, and is well worth it.  Next step: retrofit one into my gaming PC  >:D

Art Blade

nice :)

If possible, make (additional) backups of important stuff on something that is not your SSD; preferably on an external/independent HD. Bear in mind that SSDs are great as long as you use them for reading but tend to wear down when writing on them.

The compromise would be to move data folders and the windows swap file as well as temp files/folders to a HD while program files and libraries find a new home on your SSD.  :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

Indeed; i have very specific use of this PC, which is a Fujitsu slate that allows me to write on the screen.  It is definitely not my main PC, which is always a desktop  :-D

Art Blade

good man  :-X :-D
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Binnatics

Quote from: Art Blade on November 28, 2012, 10:50:46 PM
Bear in mind that SSDs are great as long as you use them for reading but tend to wear down when writing on them.

That is new to me ????

All I know is that when using Vista, there's a little time-loss when writing on them due to difficulties with re-adressing used memory space. Your disc is not easily 'defragmentated' and therefore the info gets spread all over the disc without much order. Win7 doesn't have that issue, it automatically re-prepares used space and therefore never drops any speed when writing on them. I've never read in any review that SSD's wear off fast when used intensively.
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Art Blade

They also sell games without telling us about the bugs they contain. ;)

The source I got that information from is a renowned high level computer magazine dedicated to professionals called c't (Magazin für Computer und Technik)  Among other things they have scientific researchers test state-of-the-art technology such as SSD and report in detail what they came up with. That often contradicts what we get to see in advertisements and data sheets of the manufacturers.

Abletile

I use a prog called "SSD Fresh", it takes care of switching off all the things windoze does to reduce the wear on the drive :)
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

PZ

Quote from: Abletile on February 16, 2013, 03:03:06 PM
I use a prog called "SSD Fresh", it takes care of switching off all the things windoze does to reduce the wear on the drive :)

Excellent tip; the program looks like a winner and I'm going to try it.  :-X  +1 for that find!

Abletile

nexor

I think I'll stick to the old ones, never gave me probs and easy to manage

Dweller_Benthos

Yeah, my SSD is nice, but is it really that much faster? Not a lot, and if you have any of those fancy 10,000 RPM drives, only by a very small amount. My computer savvy buddy says he is going with hybrid drives in his new machine, which are fast conventional discs with a very large RAM buffer or cache. Something like that anyway.
"You've read it, you can't un-read it."
D_B

PZ

hmmm.... I've not heard of the hybrid drives - will need to check them out

nexor

The Hybrid_Drive looks interesting but has a bit of a drawback which concerns me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_drive]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive

Binnatics

Well, that hybrid drive sounds good a solution to take the best from both systems, which many ppl do already, but I must say that the SSD to me is the most impressing speed boost given to my system in a long time. Powering up the system takes almost no time. In fact I'm longer waiting for the BIOS to configure the disc set up etc. than for windows loading. And it's not losing speed after I while what usually always happened when I had my system installed on a regular hard disk.

Loading other programs goes so fast that I never have to wait annoying moments.  ^-^
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Abletile

Quote from: Dweller_Benthos on February 18, 2013, 11:20:12 AM
Yeah, my SSD is nice, but is it really that much faster? Not a lot, and if you have any of those fancy 10,000 RPM drives, only by a very small amount. My computer savvy buddy says he is going with hybrid drives in his new machine, which are fast conventional discs with a very large RAM buffer or cache. Something like that anyway.

I cannot comment on other peoples PC's but when I put Win7 on my SSD, even Usain Bolt wouldn't catch it! Maybe my 'old' hard drive wasn't as fast as yours  :)

Abletile

PZ

Binnatics

In Holland I pay €317,- so it seems we get the same 'offer' here.

Tags:
🡱 🡳