FC3: Tips and Tricks

Started by Art Blade, December 07, 2012, 11:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PZ

Good to see you Ric!

Obtain all 4 holsters as soon as you can and then equip one of them with the flamethrower for the wildlife.  There is nothing alive that will resist that weapon.  ;)

fragger

Hey Ric, welcome back :) All the lost FC2-ers are returning to the fold :-()

FC3 is pretty cool, for the most part. You'll probably find the main missions a bit on the corridory side compared to FC2, but the open-world stuff is lots of fun.

Hope you have fun with it 8)

Ricamundo

Thanks guys. ;) I've now done a lot of the side missions found on bulletin boards at the camps i've liberated. They seem pretty similar once you've done one of each, but fun none the less. I've collected a few skill points, but apart from about 4 on each skill page, the others remain locked. The game says i need to do more missions to unlock, but i presume it means more of the main mish, and not side missions?

One other thing I've noticed since the get go, but forgot to ask about, is the echoey sound of the voices that happens often but not all the time. It seems especially prevalent during cut scene dialog, but the banter of the pirates and rebels is often echoey too, tho not undeciferable. Speaking of Pirate/Rebel banter, am I the only one that is a bit disappointed that in FC3, the NPC's have a very limited amount of conversation, compared to the wonderful and varied banter we heard in FC2?
Are you listening to the wind now? Tell the wind to bring me some beer. F*ck the beer, we need women!

Art Blade

no, we have various topics that deal with stuff we're not too happy about. "Echoey" voices, however, is new to me. You do get reverb in hangars and such but normally not as you describe it in general.

To unlock skills you need indeed to continue the main missions.
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

PZ

I've not experienced echos either  ????

Art Blade

with the new patch 1.05 the "unlimited ammo" trick (hitting ESC) is no longer working  :(
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

fragger

Actually, I know just what Ricamundo is on about regarding echoey voices. I too have noticed that if people are a bit of a distance away and talking, they sound as if they're at the bottom of a well.

I wonder if this is another hardware-related glitchy thing?

mandru

Unlimited ammo gone?  :-\\

Not much interested in finishing the game.  I made it as far as the team run with Sam on the refinery but went off task to just roam around and rampage.  Infinite ammo made a lot of what I've been doing for the last month or so possible.   I don't see there's much left to keep me in the game.

They broke it by fixing it.
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

I saw that happen with other games, too: fixing stuff that had been very popular without actually influencing the game. Why? No idea.

fragger

Yet another dumb move from Ubi ::) Pity they don't fix the real glitches.

PZ

I'm sure they're thinking "you ain't gonna get away with having fun at our expense!"

Art Blade

Too much money?

Fragger made me grin back then when he came up with the idea of going to poker games and I did the same for some time. Only problem: You can't help winning once and then which means playing all-in might result in getting a refund for that and those three prior games. And it takes a lot of time by comparison plus you need to travel somehow to a poker joint. Still fun but not helping as much as intended.

Instead try the following:

Go to a safehouse, equip an LMG such as the Ripper, blow through 400 rounds and then buy them without discount. A matter of perhaps two minutes and for those 400 rounds (8 x 50) you'll lose 8 x $200 = $1,600  :-D

fragger

You can also buy up all the custom paint jobs and maps to help blow through the dough quickly. With the maps though you'll have icons showing all over the place on your game map.

I've been playing without unlocking any towers and have thus had to buy all weapons so I haven't hit the limit yet, not once, and I've done all missions (including sides) up to the final ones that start with the poker game at Hoyt's place. I have bought all weapons now so the wallet is getting thicker at last.

I didn't start doing the towers until I'd bought all the weapons except the Bushman (need to unlock all towers for that one). Have two towers to go and nearly all Outposts on the south island to do, then it'll be new 'thru time, if I feel like doing that. I'm not going to bother with the endgame this time and I might actually give the game a rest for a while after this one's over.

Art Blade

Once you've finished all main story missions AND have liberated all outposts, the new (patch 1.05) option brings back new life: Reset all outposts. I did that twice now, reset all outposts and on top I currently play on the new (patch 1.05) difficulty "Master (very hard)" which adds even more to the experience. I don't want to go through the main story again (done that twice) :-D

PZ

I measure my disappointment in the fact that I've only played completely through FC3 once or twice (can't remember), and in contrast, the number of times I played through FC2 was so high I lost track.  Don't get me wrong, I still really have a fondness for FC3, but it is just not the same as FC2.

Art Blade

Agree.. I really have no intention to so much as touch the main mission ever again but the savegame from my complete playthrough is what keeps the game alive. Everything but the main missions. :)

fragger

I agree too, I can't see myself playing FC3 anything like as much as I did FC2.

Patch 1.05 does sound like a good thing. One day when I have a few hours to spare I'll let the game update itself - I'm currently still running on 1.02 ::)

Binnatics

patch 1.05 seems to have a downside; the "Esc-reload-trick" Art discovered doesn't seem to w@&k anymore :-\\

Some other trick in case you may go hunting some sharks: run them over with a yet-ski. Works brilliant >:D
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

fragger

If the only major benefit to patch 1.05 is the outpost reset, I won't bother with it. Instead, I have an alternative.

I completed all main missions up to the poker game with Hoyt, leaving all towers and outposts unliberated (except of course for the one tower and the one outpost done during the tutorial). When the game did an autosave after I completed Black Gold (the last mish before the poker game), I fast traveled to Amanaki Village and interacted with the vending machine to do another autosave, and I also did a manual save at the same time.

Then I went on with the game, liberating outposts and towers. After I'd done them all, I went to the main game menu and loaded up the manual save, which put me back in Amanaki, then I interacted with the vending machine again to trigger another autosave. This saved the game in the autosave slot, effectively resetting it - all outposts and towers free again! If at any time I want to start over, all I have to do is load the manually saved game and immediately interact with the vending machine to reset the autosaved game to that state. I can do that over and over again and still have the other two save slots for playing the whole story, if I'm so inclined.

This way, I also have the advantage of still being able to move freely around the south island in my privateer uniform.

AND I still have the esc-reload trick available :-X

mandru

In FC2 we had the command line cheats (i.e. a desktop shortcut targeting "C:\Users\*****\Desktop\Games\Far Cry 2\bin\farcry2.exe" -GameProfile_GodMode 1 -GameProfile_UnlimitedReliability 1 -GameProfile_UnlimitedAmmo 1) for god mode, unlimited ammo and no usage related weapon rot etc...

I've really hoped someone would reveal the same thing for FC3 as it would really let me tailor the play experience to suit my ramble around and create mayhem play style regardless of annoying updates.  :-\\
- mandru

Art Blade

mandru

I found that early on in the game Boar hides are at a premium.  There are a couple items to be crafted that require two boar hides each and other than the first mission Dennis sends you on after clearing the tower I was having trouble finding boars again when I needed to craft that first expanded bullet pouch.  ???

Then when I went to Dr Ernhardt's to meet up with Daisy and was sent on the mushroom gathering mission.  There were boars on the slope down the hill from the Dr.'s mansion.

Usually you'd find goats on that slope but when the Dr.'s retrieval mission is activated the approach to the underwater cave on the shoreline is populated with boars.  By going back and forth between where the boars were and the vending machine for more bullets I was able to acquire all the boar hides I needed as well as the four leopard hides (leopards are also to be found there all the time) needed for other early crafted essential items.
- mandru

Art Blade

nice observation and tip, mandru  :) :-X

PZ

mandru

- mandru

Tags:
🡱 🡳