Quantum Computers

Started by Art Blade, May 18, 2013, 11:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art Blade

I've been following D-Wave's development and I'd like to share this here. Baiscally D-Wave is a company that relates on their own Research and Development (R&D) as opposed to outsourcing R&D as it has been popular for some time now in many other companies. They hire the best people they can find offering them lab time, project funding (money), and access to their other scientists and top people in exchange for Intellectual Property. They run hundreds of lab experiments a year rather than a few. They are the ones who actually have produced programmable quantum computers. It is happening.. many years ago it was something like a myth, a dream that would never come true, but man, they're doing it now!

Currently they're releasing a couple of videos (only a few days old as of now) giving insight in how the company operates and some interesting background information given during interviews.

Here a short clip of how the amount of qubits in a quantum processor keeps doubling every year, faster than Moore's Law.

D-Wave Quantum Computer Scaling
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

mandru

Definitely something to keep an eye on.  Nice find Art.  :-X
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

PZ

mandru

I've been trying to follow out the logic behind quantum computing and how it compares to what we are currently using. I've not been able to get my head around the quantification of how qubits stack up against bits but there was a comment I read that said qubits were extremely more adept at precisely handling very large numbers without the need to break them down into scientific notation through exponentiation.

But then again they are also working on trying to move the accuracy bar above the 50% mark on the equation 3X5=15.  Maybe the qubits because of entanglement are becoming more interested in something else and warping there across space-time instead of coming up with the right answer.  ????
- mandru
Gramma said "Never turn your back 'till you've cut their heads off"

Art Blade

normal computer bits are either ON or OFF. Like a switch. Quantum bits (qubits) are ON, OFF, and either one, all three at the same time. It is a new dimension :)
[titlebar]Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.[/titlebar]What doesn't kill us, makes us weirder.

Abletile

I see NASA and google are sharing a new Quantum computer by Dwave  ($15m).

US giant Lockheed Martin earlier this year upgraded its own D-Wave machine to the 512 qubit D-Wave Two!
Jokes about ducks are not all they're quacked up to be. ;-)

Art Blade

Binnatics

I wonder if this will ever make its way to the public ????
"Responsibility is not a matter of giving or taking, responsibility is something you share" -Binnatics

Abletile

It's bound to eventually. Then we can play FC3 in super high res with millions of bad guys all with stunning AI.
Wow, just imagine the possibilities  :o

Art Blade

about time for convincing 3D virtual reality and photo-realistic graphics. AND 100% destructible environments :)

fragger

Microsoft will find a way to slow it all back down though :-()

Art Blade

Abletile

The ONLY time Microsoft will make something that doesn't suck is when they start making vacuum cleaners  :laugh:

Art Blade

PZ

:laugh: :laugh: :-X :laugh: :laugh: That's the best one I've heard in a while +1 Abletile!

fragger

Excellent, Abletile! +1 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :-X :-X :-X

Art Blade

There! have one from me, too  :) +1 :-X

Abletile

:laugh: Cool, thanks guys  :-X

Tags:
🡱 🡳